CFZ Micah Parsons: The NFL’s Defensive “Shape Shifter”

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I just can't believe how strong he is. We have all seen linebackers try to play on the line and they just never make an impact.
We had some in the past. Ware was originally an OOL until we went back to 4-3 defense. Hollywood would drop back and play LB as well.

Hollywood was probably closer to a LT type talent that Parsons. At least so far. Hollywood had potential to be the greatest Cowboys LB ever.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
We had some in the past. Ware was originally an OOL until we went back to 4-3 defense. Hollywood would drop back and play LB as well.

Hollywood was probably closer to a LT type talent that Parsons. At least so far. Hollywood had potential to be the greatest Cowboys LB ever.
And he blew it well he snorted it actually

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
I wonder, after his contract is up and franchise tags exhausted, which team will he be on? -Debbie Downer lol

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I loved Hollywood Henderson. One of the best athletes to ever wear the Star. And he was way ahead of his time as far as the type of LB he was. But having said that, Hollywood was not a great pass rusher.

Flamma

Reaction score
Cowboys fans all know how great Micah Parsons is. But I thought it would be interesting to look at how great he is in context of his ability to play effectively in every area of what the defense must do. In that sense he’s a “shape shifter”.

Here are just a few of his current impressive statistical numbers through 11 games:
  • Is 2nd in the league in sacks with 12.
  • Tied for 4th in Tackles for Loss (TFL) with 13.
  • Tied for 2nd in forced fumbles with 3.
But what makes Micah Parsons’ greatness stand out is not just a stat. It’s his ability to be a true defensive “shape shifter”; a hybrid of talent that can handle all 3 aspects of defense- pass rush, tackling, and pass coverage. He excels in all three.

Parsons can be the game’s best pass rusher, then shift into the best coverage LB in the league. (Parsons routinely covers RBs, TEs and occasionally a WR), and we have seen his incredible speed as he runs down a player and tackles him from behind after rushing the passer. He can rush the passer, tackle, and provide pass coverage, all at a very high level.

Dan Quinn said a few months back that Micah Parsons is the only NFL defensive player he’s ever seen or coached that could play any position on defense.

Which made me think- the only player I’ve seen in NFL history with the ability to do anything on defense he wanted is Lawrence Taylor. If Micah takes care of himself and can stay healthy, he’s not only headed to Canton, he has the ability to surpass even LT as the greatest defensive player to ever lace em up.

This is greatness that comes along rarely.

I may be saying this because I am a Cowboys fan, but I think he's a strong candidate for league MVP. He's the reason the Cowboys are breaking their streak of not having back to back double digit winning seasons. Not having back to back playoff appearances. He's not the only reason, but he's a big part of it. Enough with these QBs already.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Micah as a 3-4 OLB... *chef's kiss*

Reactions: BAT

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I may be saying this because I am a Cowboys fan, but I think he's a strong candidate for league MVP. He's the reason the Cowboys are breaking their streak of not having back to back double digit winning seasons. Not having back to back playoff appearances. He's not the only reason, but he's a big part of it. Enough with these QBs already.
We’ll see how we do in January. Ultimately without success in the playoffs he’s not going to reap the rewards .

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Cowboys fans all know how great Micah Parsons is. But I thought it would be interesting to look at how great he is in context of his ability to play effectively in every area of what the defense must do. In that sense he’s a “shape shifter”.

Here are just a few of his current impressive statistical numbers through 11 games:
  • Is 2nd in the league in sacks with 12.
  • Tied for 4th in Tackles for Loss (TFL) with 13.
  • Tied for 2nd in forced fumbles with 3.
But what makes Micah Parsons’ greatness stand out is not just a stat. It’s his ability to be a true defensive “shape shifter”; a hybrid of talent that can handle all 3 aspects of defense- pass rush, tackling, and pass coverage. He excels in all three.

Parsons can be the game’s best pass rusher, then shift into the best coverage LB in the league. (Parsons routinely covers RBs, TEs and occasionally a WR), and we have seen his incredible speed as he runs down a player and tackles him from behind after rushing the passer. He can rush the passer, tackle, and provide pass coverage, all at a very high level.

Dan Quinn said a few months back that Micah Parsons is the only NFL defensive player he’s ever seen or coached that could play any position on defense.

Which made me think- the only player I’ve seen in NFL history with the ability to do anything on defense he wanted is Lawrence Taylor. If Micah takes care of himself and can stay healthy, he’s not only headed to Canton, he has the ability to surpass even LT as the greatest defensive player to ever lace em up.

This is greatness that comes along rarely.
Don't really see Parsons at DT at his size, but who am I to argue with Quinn?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I’m not quite ready just yet to put him in the HOF.

He has no doubt brought a new identity to this defense . And he provides the havoc and disruption at the LOS we have been missing while elevating others around him which is the sign of greatness.

But he disappears at times. And he even at times only comes in on obvious passing plays. For an OLB I’d like to see him also in coverage and run stopping.

If he wants to be compared to LT he’s going to need to become more than one dimensional. And ultimately the success we have in the playoffs against the greater teams and QB’s will be the ultimate measurement of his impact.
True, he was MIA against the 9ers.

Thomas82

Reaction score
It's amazing that he's only in his 2nd season and is already 13th all-time in sacks in Cowboys history.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Relic worship.

Parsons is the superior talent.