Michael Bush's Stock Likely to Drop Again

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Updated: March 21, 2007, 12:15 AM ET
Former Louisville RB Bush has leg surgery

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Former Louisville running back Michael Bush underwent surgery Tuesday on the leg he broke during the first game of last season.

Bush, who entered the upcoming NFL draft as a junior, had a new rod inserted and was expected to be released from a Louisville hospital on Wednesday, spokesman Rocco Gasparro said.

Gasparro said Bush sought another medical opinion when his bone didn't heal quickly enough. He's expected to be out another couple of months and won't be able to work out Monday during Louisville's pro day, Gasparro said.

Bush decided to skip his senior season, despite playing in only one game as a junior. In his sophomore year, Bush ran for 1,183 yards and an NCAA-leading 23 touchdowns.

He scored three touchdowns in the first half of the season-opener against Kentucky last year before breaking his leg early in the second half.

The Cardinals went on to finish 12-1, beating Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The guy shouldn't have come out. Get healthy, put up decent numbers his senior year, and go from there. He'll fall out of the 1st day now. Could be a great Frank Gore-like pickup for someone.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Wow, his stock may Plummet!! Then again Willis M went high despite an injury, but i think this guy will now be a 2nd day pick now. He was a mid 2nd/ late 2nd the way it was.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
He should have stayed in school. Wouldn't be surprised if he falls into the third round or lower.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
well if it plummets and he is there in the 5th round and we havent drafted a RB yet...then I wouldnt mind at all if we drafted him.

David276

Benched
Reaction score
i wonder how durable his leg is going to be now . anyone think he will be the same player he was pre-injury

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;1429099 said:
well if it plummets and he is there in the 5th round and we havent drafted a RB yet...then I wouldnt mind at all if we drafted him.

I'm on board w/ that

lkelly

Reaction score
I seem to remember reading about some strange situation that basically forced him to come out. It may have had to do with an insurance policy he took out before the season. In essence it would have cost him a lot of money out of pocket (I think) to return for another year.

That broken leg cost him a great deal.

burmafrd

Reaction score
What is curious is the part about not healing- that would be the concern for me. Quickly enough- is that quickly enough as regards the draft, etc; or quickly enough as regards something else is wrong?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
David276;1429109 said:
i wonder how durable his leg is going to be now . anyone think he will be the same player he was pre-injury
There's no way to tell until he can actually work out or play. This is bad for him on multiple levels. I think he's pretty much a Day 2 pick now, if he even gets selected at all. We have 5 picks in the 6th and 7th rounds. It would be worth the gamble if he's still there.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hostile;1429333 said:
There's no way to tell until he can actually work out or play. This is bad for him on multiple levels. I think he's pretty much a Day 2 pick now, if he even gets selected at all. We have 5 picks in the 6th and 7th rounds. It would be worth the gamble if he's still there.

I agree with you Hos. This is a CowBell kind of back when he's healthy. He would have been a 1st round, 2nd round talent had he been healthy this year IMO.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1429602 said:
I agree with you Hos. This is a CowBell kind of back when he's healthy. He would have been a 1st round, 2nd round talent had he been healthy this year IMO.
It is possible he could have been the 1st or 2nd RB taken. No way that happens now. There's no denying this kid has talent though. I hate this kind of stuff. Years ago Georgia Tech had a safety named Pat Swilling. he was a cousin of Saints LB Ken I believe. Had he come out as a Junior I think he might have been a top 10 pick. Decided to stay for his Senior year and got hurt. He was nowhere near the player he used to be. That is why though I always hope these kids will stay in college I can't blame them when they don't. I think Bush didn't have the option to stay though. Didn't somebody point that out because of an insurance policy?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I'm fine with picking hiim in the 6th or 7th. He can be a good back and that late in the draft, you take chances.

Someone might go for him in the 4th though, you never know.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Avery;1429685 said:
I'm fine with picking hiim in the 6th or 7th. He can be a good back and that late in the draft, you take chances.

I wouldn't at this point. He's a good kid too. Hate this.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Avery;1429685 said:

This is the kind of year that I think we could afford to take a gamble on a guy like this in the 5th rd. I think somebody is going to make this kind of move and if he gets healthy, thats a move that will be talked about for years to come IMO. If not, it's the kind of move that won't really hurt a GM because it's a 5th rd type pick. This is one heck of a football player here. Really unfortunate for him. The insurance thing could be real interesting as well. Some of those things are written in such a way that they only pay off if you can't return from the injury. Others, like Leinart's, can be written in such a way as to pay off if a certain player gets drafted later then such and such round. This is going to be real interesting.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1429729 said:
This is the kind of year that I think we could afford to take a gamble on a guy like this in the 5th rd. I think somebody is going to make this kind of move and if he gets healthy, thats a move that will be talked about for years to come IMO. If not, it's the kind of move that won't really hurt a GM because it's a 5th rd type pick. This is one heck of a football player here. Really unfortunate for him. The insurance thing could be real interesting as well. Some of those things are written in such a way that they only pay off if you can't return from the injury. Others, like Leinart's, can be written in such a way as to pay off if a certain player gets drafted later then such and such round. This is going to be real interesting.
We gambled on Chris Canty in the 4th. This could be another situation like that.