Michael Irvin "Dak has his receivers now"

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The quarterback passes to a spot he determines the receiver can adjust to the ball while it is in the air and have a better than 50/50 chance of hauling it in while in tight coverage. The quarterback is dependent upon the receiver quickly realizing the ball will not be thrown in the intended area as drawn up by the play design.

Sounds to me like chemistry between QB and WR......

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Week 1 -2018 our starting WRs were Deonte Thompson and Terrance Williams.

Our starting TE was Geoff Swaim.

Those should be NOBODY's receivers.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds to me like chemistry between QB and WR......
It is but all "chemistry" is not the same. The degree of mutual understanding between quarterback and wide receiver differs between teammates and even teams.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This was pretty self-evident when Amari got here. Dak doesn't throw fades well, and he can't make a living out of always placing the ball where just his guy can get it (though he'll have several passes a game with just beautiful ball placement). To keep the chains moving, though, he needs guys who are where they're supposed to be when they're supposed to be, every time. And he needs guys who can get a ball anywhere in their catch radius because Dak consistently gets the ball in the area, but his WRs have to be able to slow down or reach back from time to time. Which is why Dak has a reputation for being inaccurate, when really he's throwing catchable balls, he's just not pin-point accurate.

This is why Dez was a bad fit for him, because he didn't have the best routes and he specialized in high pointing balls and end zone fades. It's why we're going to see a lot more crossing routes underneath coverage where Tony didn't like to throw those balls because they'd lead to tips and picks.

It makes sense that different guys have different preferences in terms of who to throw it to. Gallup, Cobb, Witten, and Cooper all do have those same skill sets Michael is talking about.

Proof

Reaction score
Not as effective imo. Cole had good hands, but not so much Dez and Williams. Randall, Gallup, and Cooper, are better route runners and better hands. Just simply better.

dez had great hands. knock it off. especially if you're going to tout amari's hands in the same breath lol

tyke1doe

Reaction score
jones-jerry-9600.jpg

Yes you do.
:laugh:

catiii

Reaction score
With time, Dak will learn to throw WR's open on a more consistent basis. I am happy he is hitting open WR's and very impressed with his improvement. Better release point. Better footwork, reading the defense, etc. Can't wait to see how he performs against a serious pass rush.
The plays were designed for such fast releases, along with the extra time derived from initial misdirection, I think we can handle even the best pass rush now.
I wish Romo had the benefit of this new philosophy; perhaps he wouldn't have got so beat up. He tried to make things work in SPITE of the rubbish "system"....and was successful more times than not.
So glad Dak will not have to take a regular beating!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Irvin made a good point saying Dak finally has receivers suited to his game.
Before, he had to deal with WRs that were more suited for Romo.
Instead of jump ball and imprecise route running WRs, he now has WRs that run precise routes.
Romo was able to throw his receivers open by adjusting to their patterns and putting the ball in positions that they could out maneuver the CBs.
Dak seems more comfortable throwing to defined patterns and now he has a core that can better suite his abilities.
Good thing. God forbid we don’t have the perfect supporting cast.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
dez had great hands. knock it off. especially if you're going to tout amari's hands in the same breath lol

When I went back over our game against the Giants, the two drops by Cooper were big reasons why drives stalled out without any points. He had a good game, so it didn't really matter, but there's going to be some games where every mistake counts.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
When I went back over our game against the Giants, the two drops by Cooper were big reasons why drives stalled out without any points. He had a good game, so it didn't really matter, but there's going to be some games where every mistake counts.
The good thing is Dak was accurate on those passes. Wasn't like it went over his head or into the ground. We have a deep receivers group and don't have to rely on 1 receiver to catch or drop the ball now.