Michael Irvin: Get Dak's extension done now!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Totally disagree. If you want to talk about a Bird exception type rule like the NBA has that's one thing, but this cap problem is by the owner's choosing. They've got plenty of money. They just don't want to spend it.

It's amazing to me how many fans seem more concerned with the owner's money than they do with the players, who have less of it and much shorter careers. The old dudes keep raking in billions, but let's cap pay by position. That seems fair.
The fact is, we have a cap. I dont care who is responsible for it(obviously the pwners). I dont care about who is making the most money... I dont really care about what the players make or what the owners make. It is irrlevant to me. The ONLY reason I care is because the team has a salary cap. And by the way, there is no, "Cap problem," as far as the owners view things.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I truly hope that our FO don't drag this into TC........we have enough distractions without them creating more..........Stephen you know what it's going to take to sign hime, either get it done or wait till next off season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I truly hope that our FO don't drag this into TC........we have enough distractions without them creating more..........Stephen you know what it's going to take to sign hime, either get it done or wait till next off season.
Waiting until next season would be dragging the drama another year. But I hear ya and agree to a point.

I agree they want to get this done but I actually applaud at least attempting to not being held ransom. I think they need to get Cooper signed or Prescott’s value definitely decreases.

And what if Elliott is suspended? What does Dak look like in this offense without Elliott and or Cooper? Just saying..

They’d look like big fools if they Anty up on Dak and this offense flopped without either of those guys.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Waiting until next season would be dragging the drama another year. But I hear ya and agree to a point.

I agree they want to get this done but I actually applaud at least attempting to not being held ransom. I think they need to get Cooper signed or Prescott’s value definitely decreases.

And what if Elliott is suspended? What does Dak look like in this offense without Elliott and or Cooper? Just saying..

They’d look like big fools if they Anty up on Dak and this offense flopped without either of those guys.
Jerry thrives on drama...........I agree with the rest of your post.........I expect Zeke to get some sort of suspension, but Goodell probably won't announce it till about a week before the season opener....he likes slapping Jerry around.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry thrives on drama...........I agree with the rest of your post.........I expect Zeke to get some sort of suspension, but Goodell probably won't announce it till about a week before the season opener....he likes slapping Jerry around.

It might be interesting to see what Prescott can do without Elliott and or Cooper. Wait... we already have. Ha

That might drive the price down for Dak. How foolish would we look signing Dak to a top 5 deal then watch him struggle without one or both of these guys. It’s a tricky situation.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
so you think the fact that Durant was a 1st rd pick has anything to do with his next contract, 10 years into his career?
You think the Patriots deal with Brady like a 6th rd pick? Yea, where you get drafted matters.... when you sign your FIRST contract. After that, where you were drafted is irrelevant.
Dak is not Brady. I like the guy, but no

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
and..... that means even if Dak blew a knee this year, the Cowboys would still bring him back.
Of course we would. It would be stupid at this point not to bring him back, but if he damaged his knee like a Carson Wentz it would hurt his marketability immensely. That's all I'm trying to say.

Prescott is not the celebrated QB that Carson Palmer was, and his knee problem caused him big time at the negotiating table.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Totally disagree. If you want to talk about a Bird exception type rule like the NBA has that's one thing, but this cap problem is by the owner's choosing. They've got plenty of money. They just don't want to spend it.

It's amazing to me how many fans seem more concerned with the owner's money than they do with the players, who have less of it and much shorter careers. The old dudes keep raking in billions, but let's cap pay by position. That seems fair.

Unfortunately, I don't think many fans actually realize that the salary cap consists of half of the TV revenue, and that the other half of it goes to one person, along with all of that stadium money, concessions, merchandise, etc.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Michael Irvin explains why the Cowboys need to get an extension done with Dak Prescott right now

When it comes to contract extensions for quarterbacks, it's been a busy offseason in the NFL.

Over the past three months, we've seen Russell Wilson, Ben Roethlisberger and Carson Wentzall land lucrative extensions that will pay them between $32 million (Wentz) and $35 million per season (Wilson). With those three deals done, all eyes are now on Dallas, where the Cowboys are trying to hammer out an extension with Dak Prescott.

With Prescott and the Cowboys currently at a stalemate in negotiations, it's not clear when a deal is actually going to get done.

During an interview with 105.3 The Fan in Dallas on Friday, Irvin had some advice for the Cowboys: Get Dak's extension done now.

"Every minute you wait, it's costing money," Irvin said during the interview. "This is an asset that's trending in the right direction. You got to pay him this money."

Irvin's definitely right; every minute the Cowboys wait is potentially costing them millions. As former NFL agent Joel Corry pointed out this week, the Cowboys might have been able to get Prescott to sign a deal worth under $30 million per yearif they had been able work out an extension before the Wentz deal, but after watching Wentz get an extension worth $32 million per year, that's likely the minimum Prescott will be gunning for.

Basically, the Cowboys cost themselves millions by not getting a deal done before the Eagles, something that Irvin also pointed out.

"Dak's agents aren't gonna let you come in under Carson Wentz," Irvin said. "If they don't pay Dak, we can all pack it up and go home. It's over. How are you going to get anything out of the other guys if they're seeing that you aren't taking care of the top guy? Why should I give you all I got? You got to be smart about this, and this is a no-brainer."

The Cowboys could cost themselves even more money if they let Jared Goff sign an extension before Prescott. If Goff were to land $33 million per year, Prescott's camp could aim to top that.

As for Irvin, another reason he wants to see a deal get done is because he doesn't want to see the Cowboys turn into one of those teams that doesn't really have a franchise quarterback.

"There's no doubt in my mind Dak is the right guy," Irvin said in a separate interview on Wednesday, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "Look at these teams: I mean, people stop it. Look at these damn teams. Dolphins, Jaguars: They've been looking for a quarterback for almost 15-20 years. This ain't easy to find. It's not easy to find and you don't let one walk out the door if you got one."

"When you have the heart and soul and leader of your team at the quarterback position, I don't know why we're talking about his money," Irvin said. "That's worth $15-20 million, by itself, a year. Now you got to pay him to play football also. I mean, let's be real here. It shouldn't even be a discussion when we talk about it, and the amount of wins this man has had, and the way he's won football games. It shouldn't even be a discussion. It really shouldn't."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...n-extension-done-with-dak-prescott-right-now/

That is a risk Jerry will need to take by waiting until the coming season is over.
The world won't end if the team lets Dak show what he can do (under a new madcap OC genius Moore) in 2019.
If he tanks, pay him as a second-tier QB.
If he goes deep into the playoffs, pay him what Wentz is making per year.
If Dak balks, let him walk.
DAK IS NOT BIGGER THAN THE COWBOYS!
Pay him fairly, but dont be a market lemming. Have some restraint!

As to Irwin, let him go look for a crackhouse where he can preach what he knows.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
If the team is already 0-4 then go ahead and let him sit. He'll be under that same contract next season and no closer to free agency. Both parties lose in that scenario.

I don't see Dak sitting out this season. If a deal isn't done and the Cowboys franchise him next year, he may refuse to sign it and we're playing the D Law game again.
If he'd sits out the season and Jerry tanks the season many of you will lose sleep.
I will be writing to Trevor Lawrence to tell him how lovely the Metroplex is. (Well, it's lovelier than Manchester in winter!!)

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That is a risk Jerry will need to take by waiting until the coming season is over.
The world won't end if the team lets Dak show what he can do (under a new madcap OC genius Moore) in 2019.
If he tanks, pay him as a second-tier QB.
If he goes deep into the playoffs, pay him what Wentz is making per year.
If Dak balks, let him walk.
DAK IS NOT BIGGER THAN THE COWBOYS!
Pay him fairly, but dont be a market lemming. Have some restraint!

As to Irwin, let him go look for a crackhouse where he can preach what he knows.
"If he goes deep into the playoffs, pay him what Wentz is making per year."

So, Wentz, who has never played in the playoffs, deserves $32 million/year, but Dak, who has led the team twice into the playoffs and won 1 out of 3 playoff games, has to lead the team deep into the playoffs in order to deserve Wentz pay?

Hypocritical and biased much???

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
"If he goes deep into the playoffs, pay him what Wentz is making per year."

So, Wentz, who has never played in the playoffs, deserves $32 million/year, but Dak, who has led the team twice into the playoffs and won 1 out of 3 playoff games, has to lead the team deep into the playoffs in order to deserve Wentz pay?

Hypocritical and biased much???
Life, to quote Jimmy Carter, "Is not fay-ah."
Got it?
I didn't draft Wentz and I did nit pay him.
Now, Jerry girl, yes, Dak should perform to OUR standards, NOT THERE'S!!

So, what happens, sullen mate, is we should pay as we can and not taken hostage to supposed tyranny of potential.
Dak needs to Invision what can happen here, within reason.
Dak is not bigger than the Cowboys. He needs to know that.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Life, to quote Jimmy Carter, "Is not fay-ah."
Got it?
I didn't draft Wentz and I did nit pay him.
Now, Jerry girl, yes, Dak should perform to OUR standards, NOT THERE'S!!

So, what happens, sullen mate, is we should pay as we can and not taken hostage to supposed tyranny of potential.
Dak needs to Invision what can happen here, within reason.
Dak is not bigger than the Cowboys. He needs to know that.
Dak is getting paid, whether you like it or not, because he's definitely earned it. You need to know that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I would actually prefer that they wait a bit. I think that at this point, all leverage lies with the player and agent. Simply due to the fact that they have no threat of injury during the offseason. But when the preseason and season starts? Yeah, that totally changes, and suddenly Prescott has to worry about getting a serious injury the way Alex Smith did and then never seeing that huge payday.

But while that's what I would do, I fully expect the Jones boys to cave in and give Prescott whatever he wants, prior to training camp, simply so that they can 'show everybody' that they got their quarterback signed long-term too.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
He is just speaking the truth. Let me ask you a question, when was the last time the Cowboys hamstrung the team because of a contract?

Who said "hamstrung"?
Well, answer your question, because it came from you, not I.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Who said "hamstrung"?
Well, answer your question, because it came from you, not I.
QUOTE="GimmeTheBall!, post: 9253303, member: 7613"]Are you his agent or mommy?
Of course he'll get paid.
But I hope, not at the expense of the team's future.[/QUOTE]
You did.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
QUOTE="GimmeTheBall!, post: 9253303, member: 7613"]Are you his agent or mommy?
Of course he'll get paid.
But I hope, not at the expense of the team's future.
You did.[/QUOTE]

So, your point might be?
Dak at 5 years?

See ya in 2027.