Video: Michael Irvin sees serious problems with Cowboys against 49ers

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree. I expect Dak to go out and do his job and play good ball but to win will take a lot of guys going out and making plays, doing their jobs just as well.
Dak is rarely the reason we lose. It’s more about the support system around him.

Will our OL hold up against one of their strengths in DL. Will we be able to run the ball. These factors will contribute to Daks effectiveness and success. And if he doesn’t receive enough support I have confidence he will do all he’s capable of.

I don’t see him just throwing the game away with turnovers, but he could.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dak is rarely the reason we lose. It’s more about the support system around him.

Will our OL hold up against one of their strengths in DL. Will we be able to run the ball. These factors will contribute to Daks effectiveness and success. And if he doesn’t receive enough support I have confidence he will do all he’s capable of.

I don’t see him just throwing the game away with turnovers, but he could.

I agree. I don't see Dallas playing the smash mouth game where we are running 35 to 40 times in the game, I do think we need to run the ball effectively to keep ourselves in favorable down and distance situation. I think we do that with both run and high percentage passes. I say this in large part because everything I have read and seen shows the weakness of the 49ers defense is in the secondary, we have to be able to exploit that.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Easier said than done.

Kellon Moore is not Garrett. He is not going to continually run if there are no running lanes.

I think, and hope, Moore will use Tennessee’s game plan, except don’t waste as many plays running the ball, if it is not there. Max protect, 7 blockers with 3 receivers going out. Tire the Niners D out, rushing the passer, and throw the ball down the field.

Moore doesn't really want to run regardless. If he did he wouldn't keep calling the same delay handoff up the middle behind our two weakest linemen. Max protect does no good when you're sending 3 receivers to try and get open against 7 guys dropping. Unless somebody falls down or completely blows a coverage your QB will have to eat the ball more often than not. It also bears stating that hunkering down against the run requires far more energy from a defender than rushing the passer.. A guy can take plays off rushing the passer and just jump when he sees the QB wind up to throw.. But if there is a 320 pound man leaning on him he has no choice but to exert force back or get pancaked.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
49ers are primarily a zone coverage, I doubt they want to match up in one on ones. It will take good discipline on the part of WR and TE to sit down in the soft areas of the zones.

Ironically the blessing in disguise of Gallup's injury is that I think Wilson is better at finding the soft spot in the zone out of the slot than Lamb is.. So having him as the slot receiver is actually an upgrade against a mostly zone team. The other side of the equation is Jarwin being a good deal quicker over the middle will threaten the safeties more than Schultz would.. He's coming back just in time..

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Easier said than done.

Kellon Moore is not Garrett. He is not going to continually run if there are no running lanes.

I think, and hope, Moore will use Tennessee’s game plan, except don’t waste as many plays running the ball, if it is not there. Max protect, 7 blockers with 3 receivers going out. Tire the Niners D out, rushing the passer, and throw the ball down the field.
Everything about football is easier said than done. You have a great point about KM. He is easily dissuaded to move away from the run game, many think too easily.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
49ers are primarily a zone coverage, I doubt they want to match up in one on ones. It will take good discipline on the part of WR and TE to sit down in the soft areas of the zones.
Cowboys run the ball, the 49ers are coming out of that zone. This is one of the keys to the game. Whoever has to commit to the box loses the game. "Boy genius" can not be scared to use the running game and running backs in this game. Kellen Moore is the only thing that scares me in this game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Ironically the blessing in disguise of Gallup's injury is that I think Wilson is better at finding the soft spot in the zone out of the slot than Lamb is.. So having him as the slot receiver is actually an upgrade against a mostly zone team. The other side of the equation is Jarwin being a good deal quicker over the middle will threaten the safeties more than Schultz would.. He's coming back just in time..

I was thinking the same thing.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cowboys run the ball, the 49ers are coming out of that zone. This is one of the keys to the game. Whoever has to commit to the box loses the game. "Boy genius" can not be scared to use the running game and running backs in this game. Kellen Moore is the only thing that scares me in this game.

Being in zone helps in run defense. In Man you often times have your back to the play as you are on the WR or TE. In zone you are facing up the QB and playing your area. If Dallas is able to run vs their base zone defense they are in trouble.

shabazz

Reaction score
Irvin is just stating what some of us have already said. No news to me

……..which by the thinking in this forum, clearly makes him a “hater”, a negative Nell, and is secretly rooting for the Cowboys to lose because he dislike Dak.

Praxit

Reaction score
..stick to what we know. Dallas has better front 4, will get pressure cause turnovers. Front 7 will stop the run, on occasion they will get some runs in.

Micah is the game changer here. His ability to line up anywhere, is Wild Card.

Offense is healthy, stick to balance approach. We're going to win this game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Irvin made some great points. What concerns me the most on Sunday is the Cowboys starting DL gave up almost 150 yards rushing to Philly’s backups last week. That’s not only concerning it’s alarming! Our starting DL got dominated by Denvers makeshift OL. They had three of their starters out on their OL and they manhandled us for 190 yards rushing. This is why some are picking the 49ers in an upset on Sunday.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
I view this as a good omen, usually when the Playmaker predicts us stomping an opponent the opposite happens.

MajesticRey

Reaction score
People can focus on whatever they want.

You could also say that our defense is a nightmare matchup for their underwhelming QB.

fansince68

Reaction score
Moore doesn't really want to run regardless. If he did he wouldn't keep calling the same delay handoff up the middle behind our two weakest linemen. Max protect does no good when you're sending 3 receivers to try and get open against 7 guys dropping. Unless somebody falls down or completely blows a coverage your QB will have to eat the ball more often than not. It also bears stating that hunkering down against the run requires far more energy from a defender than rushing the passer.. A guy can take plays off rushing the passer and just jump when he sees the QB wind up to throw.. But if there is a 320 pound man leaning on him he has no choice but to exert force back or get pancaked.
"Delayed" handoff is the problem. This is usually a sign of o line using finesse instead of smash mouth tactics. Let's go back to 2016. Quick pitch outside to Pollard, unbalance the line and run power off tackle, make their middle have to pursue more, this will wear them down and reap benefis later in the game. It's Win or Go Cabo, Dak needs to run when he has wide open lanes and slide, these are "gimme" yards that we must take to keep drives alive. NO THROWING INTO SUPER TIGHT WINDOWS!!!!. Double moves by Amari and over the top early can cause their safeties to drift back. Think about it, Dak running makes the safeties cheat down to stop it opens things downfield for the pass.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
So I take when Dallas wins no one here will be saying that the 49ers were just another weak team and Dallas beat a nobody? correct?
At this stage, there are no weak teams.
However, we still will have to beat the better teams.
Let's be honest: the comparison you raise deals with Dak, not the Cowboys as a whole.
Dak is usually compared to Brady, Rodgers and Mahome because many Cowboys fans consider Dak elite.
Therefore, while Dak may lead us to victory against the 49ers (who are a good team), he'll still have to conqueror those quarterbacks (their teams) even if we beat the 49ers.
Not saying it is. But it is what it is.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
At this stage, there are no weak teams.
However, we still will have to beat the better teams.
The comparison you raised deals with Dak not the rest of the team.
Dak is usually compared to Brady, Rodgers and Mahome because many Cowboys fans consider Dak elite.
Dak still has to conqueror those quarterbacks even if we beat the 49ers.
Not saying it is or isn't fair. But that's the way it is.

I agree there are no weak teams.

As for Dak being elite? I'm a big fan of Dak, I don't see him as elite then again my list of elite is very small, that is reserved for players who produce at a high level each and every year. With Dak I see a very good QB who has continue to grow and improve as a QB in this league and one that I think can help this team to achieve the goal of SB.

Lastly I do agree Dak has to step up and play big but I have watched this game long enough to know it still comes down to team performance not 1 man. For every HOF QB I can name HOF players who played with them. We do the same with all QB after Troy Aikman, whom anyone with an ounce of sense knows those 90's team were loaded with talent and while Troy played a big part in it, so did a lot of other players. If this team is to get where we want them to be, it will take a lot of guys stepping up and making big plays.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I agree there are no weak teams.

As for Dak being elite? I'm a big fan of Dak, I don't see him as elite then again my list of elite is very small, that is reserved for players who produce at a high level each and every year. With Dak I see a very good QB who has continue to grow and improve as a QB in this league and one that I think can help this team to achieve the goal of SB.

Lastly I do agree Dak has to step up and play big but I have watched this game long enough to know it still comes down to team performance not 1 man. For every HOF QB I can name HOF players who played with them. We do the same with all QB after Troy Aikman, whom anyone with an ounce of sense knows those 90's team were loaded with talent and while Troy played a big part in it, so did a lot of other players. If this team is to get where we want them to be, it will take a lot of guys stepping up and making big plays.

Good post!
I agree with you.
I'm just pointing out how the argument goes.
Dak - as the quarterback - gets too much focus for winning and losing.
If the Cowboys win but lose against the Bucs (who I think we'll beat if we beat SF and the Bucs beat the Eagles), then the criticism will move from Dak beat a very good SF team to, well, Dak couldn't beat Brady.
Thus, those who don't see him as a top-echelon quarterback will use the defeat against Brady or Rogers to justify how they see him.