Michael Mayer is starting to worry me

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He’s going to be good.

Problem is he’s going to underwhelm as your first round pick.

Like you’ll probably get a long career out of him and look back and think we had a good TE for 10 years.

I just want something more impactful with my first pick.

Not a 1990s classic TE throwback. Boring.

cowboyec

Reaction score
You don’t need to spend a first round pick to get a guy with this skill set.

His production is not going to be a lot greater than guys drafted later on if they get the same opportunity.
i disagree.
he is the best te in the group.
IF that is their prefered target...mayer at 26 will be a home-run.
he'll be one of our most consistent players week in...week out.

Beaker42

Reaction score
He’s going to be good.

Like you’ll probably get a long career out of him and look back and think we had a good TE for 10 years.

Mayer = Witten. You’re right. Fans of a team are going to look back with fondness on his career. Just hope it’s not us.

Beaker42

Reaction score
i disagree.
he is the best te in the group.
IF that is their prefered target...mayer at 26 will be a home-run.
he'll be one of our most consistent players week in...week out.
He is most certainly not the best TE in the class. Better at blocking? Probably. Best overall? No - that’s Kincaid.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Mayer = Witten. You’re right. Fans of a team are going to look back with fondness on his career. Just hope it’s not us.
At best he’s Witten.

It’s more likely he’s Kyle Rudolph or someone like that.

If the Minnesota Vikings draft him do they say he’s Witten or Kyle Rudolph?

Regardless he’s a 750 yard a season 5-7 TD on average a year guy I think.

We don’t need a first rounder to find that production.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Welcome to the crew!

I'd love to see those numbers calculated for size-adjusted speed as well. Being a fast TE is cool, but being a big, fast TE is REALLY cool. That would push guys like Gronk and Jimmy Graham even further to the end of the scale, which is representative of the kind of players they were.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He's a guy bringing consistency every game, nothing sexy. You know what you're getting every Sunday. Remember Jimmy use to say, he loves these kinds of players, you can trust them as he put it.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
He’s going to be good.

Name this impactful player. This draft, by all accounts runs about 16-18 deep in what is considered first round talent.

Drafting at 26, name me the player that you think will be impactful. And be realistic and not some real stud falling far past his draft slot.

The idea of value is in direct proportion to the talent throughout the first round. Shallow first round talent means your selections are limited to the entire list of teams who passed on your guy.

I am not advocating Mayer at all. I have clearly stated I think this team needs to recognize where they feel down last year and draft a guard. And there is only one guard that sits on tope of several lists.

O'Cyrus Torrence. I read something a few days ago which stated he may be Larry Allen-like with his skills. Not his speed. But his ability to slobber knock defenders.

But even then, that pick is a bit of a risk. I'm no expert, but I can read the tea leaves when it comes to seeing where the team fell apart.

So tee it up. You pick out this impactful player that will be there at 26.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
How did you feel about Smith and Parsons before the draft?
Loved Tyler Smith.

Wasn’t a fan of Parsons because all I saw was linebacker footage and I still don’t think he’s anything special at MLB. Lacks instincts for the position.

I didn’t get to see Parsons as an edge rusher until the Chargers game and I was the first person to say that’s his spot when CZ assured me he needed to go back to linebacker.

Thankfully the Cowboys agreed with me.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Name this impactful player. This draft, by all accounts runs about 16-18 deep in what is considered first round talent.

Drafting at 26, name me the player that you think will be impactful. And be realistic and not some real stud fall far past his draft slot.

The idea of value is in direct proportion to the talent of the throughout the first round. Shallow first round talent means your selections are limited to the entire list of teams missed on your guy.

I am not advocating Mayer at all. I have clearly stated I think this team needs to recognize where they feel down last year and draft a guard. And there is only one guard that sits on tope of several lists.

O'Cyrus Torrence. I read something a few days ago which stated he may be Larry Allen like with his skills. Not his speed. But his ability to slobber knock defenders.

But even then, that pick is a bit of a risk. I'm no expert, but I can read the tea leaves when it comes to seeing where the team fell apart.

So tee it up. You pick out this impactful player that will be there at 26.
Gibbs for sure would have a huge impact.

Any of the top WR prospects is potentially more impactful then this guy.

I’m taking corners, and linemen on both side of the ball over him too.

I can get a TE that will produce like Mayer will anywhere.

I can’t find Offensive linemen, defensive linemen, corners, and wideouts to some extent unless I draft them.

Plus, I’m currently sold on Ferguson and Hendershot as quality players at the position and this draft has a ton of legit TE talent.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He’s going to be good.

Lots of pretend NFL scouts here. :facepalm: