Michael Penix

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
If Penix were to be there at 24, would you draft him?

Aven8

Reaction score
Penix was very Dak like in the NC game. He quit when he was being hit.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Yes, Mahomes type numbers. If Dak resigns, he has a year or two to develop. If Dak doesn't resign, he and Lance can compete.

tm1119

Reaction score
No. I think he’s a Geno Smith level prospect. Could be a serviceable starter, but I don’t see a high ceiling. He’s very ordinary when he’s not in the shotgun spread with a clean pocket…which is going to be a lot in the NFL. Playing on a stacked Washington offense in the PAC-12 (not known for its tough defenses) inflated his #’s.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
No. I think he’s a Geno Smith level prospect. Could be a serviceable starter, but I don’t see a high ceiling. He’s very ordinary when he’s not in the shotgun spread with a clean pocket…which is going to be a lot in the NFL. Playing on a stacked Washington offense in the PAC-12 (not known for its tough defenses) inflated his #’s.
I agree with the Geno comp... but where would you draft Geno if he was coming out?

He's a middle of the pack QB playing on a middle of the pack contract, and it pays him the same as all-pro stud DEs like Bosa and Garrett. If you think that Penix has a similar value, then you could justify picking him ahead of anyone but a blue chipper.

Eddie

Reaction score
I just can't get over the name. He must have been bullied tremendously in elementary school.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I agree with the Geno comp... but where would you draft Geno if he was coming out?

He's a middle of the pack QB playing on a middle of the pack contract, and it pays him the same as all-pro stud DEs like Bosa and Garrett. If you think that Penix has a similar value, then you could justify picking him ahead of anyone but a blue chipper.
I think Penix surrounded by talent could be a Goff type performer. This team has a lot of pieces in place. And if we are seriously considering letting Dak play out his contract Penix would be in a great position to take over in year 2.

tm1119

Reaction score

I honestly don’t even know what point you’re trying to make. Are you saying that a mediocre QB is more valuable than any non All-Pro player because they get paid less than other QB’s? I think I could give you a hint on why Geno Smith’s contract is relatively reasonable…no one else was willing to commit to him as their starter.
Isn’t the point to get the best QB possible, and not just the cheapest 1? Not to mention we just recently had Dak on a dirt cheap 4 year rookie deal and did almost nothing to improve the team around him with anything other than the draft. Penix would just be trying the same thing over again expecting different results.

I promise that despite whatever Stephen tells you, the big bad cap monster isn’t the reason this team has been a failure for 27 straight seasons. If anything the ineptitude of our front office should be a clear reason why we can’t settle for anything less than a QB with elite traits. We need someone that can drag this front office to the finish line

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Are you saying that a mediocre QB is more valuable than any non All-Pro player because they get paid less than other QB’s?
That's what the market is saying. Look at the deal Kirk Cousins just got at 35 years old with a blown wheel.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I honestly don’t even know what point you’re trying to make. Are you saying that a mediocre QB is more valuable than any non All-Pro player because they get paid less than other QB’s? I think I could give you a hint on why Geno Smith’s contract is relatively reasonable…no one else was willing to commit to him as their starter.
Isn’t the point to get the best QB possible, and not just the cheapest 1? Not to mention we just recently had Dak on a dirt cheap 4 year rookie deal and did almost nothing to improve the team around him with anything other than the draft. Penix would just be trying the same thing over again expecting different results.

I promise that despite whatever Stephen tells you, the big bad cap monster isn’t the reason this team has been a failure for 27 straight seasons. If anything the ineptitude of our front office should be a clear reason why we can’t settle for anything less than a QB with elite traits. We need someone that can drag this front office to the finish line
Good luck finding that in this draft or any draft.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think Penix has top 10 arm talent but I think there are injury concerns and his pocket presence is a little iffy under pressure.

Flamma

Reaction score

That doesn't happen for QBs coming off rookie contracts. They don't take less. They take top market value, or very close to it.

Chasing6

Reaction score

I would not draft Geno.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
That doesn't happen for QBs coming off rookie contracts. They don't take less. They take top market value, or very close to it.
Drifting away from Penix, I think we're going to start seeing a QB middle class emerge. The pendulum is starting to shift away from "get a QB at any cost" mentality, after some huge trade acquisitions blew up (Russ, Watson, Rodgers) and some second contracts aged pretty poorly. There's enough Goffs and Brock Purdys and Baker Mayfields winning games in the league right now to make teams think about investing less at QB, or saying no to Daniel Jones demanding $40M/yr. I think Geno and Mayfield's contracts are the first steps towards establishing a legit second tier of QB contracts. Watch for that in the next 2 years.

Getting back to Penix, the QB's importance to the offense is still outsized compared to any other position. Let's say you're the Denver Broncos right now, and Jared Stidham is atop your depth chart. Would you win more games with say Stidham and CeeDee Lamb, or with Geno Smith and Courtland Sutton?

You'd at least think about it, right? That's why I rank Penix up there with Nabers and Marvin Harrison Jr.

Rookie QBs don't need to be better than Mahomes to make a big impact on offense. They just need to be better than what's currently on the roster.

Last edited: