Michael Penix

Flamma

Reaction score
Drifting away from Penix, I think we're going to start seeing a QB middle class emerge. The pendulum is starting to shift away from "get a QB at any cost" mentality, after some huge trade acquisitions blew up (Russ, Watson, Rodgers) and some second contracts aged pretty poorly. There's enough Goffs and Brock Purdys and Baker Mayfields winning games in the league right now to make teams think about investing less at QB, or saying no to Daniel Jones demanding $40M/yr. I think Geno and Mayfield's contracts are the first steps towards establishing a legit second tier of QB contracts. Watch for that in the next 2 years.

Getting back to Penix, the QB's importance to the offense is still outsized compared to any other position. Let's say you're the Denver Broncos right now, and Jared Stidham is atop your depth chart. Would you win more games with say Stidham and CeeDee Lamb, or with Geno Smith and Courtland Sutton?

You'd at least think about it, right? That's why I rank Penix up there with Nabers and Marvin Harrison Jr.

Rookie QBs don't need to be better than Mahomes to make a big impact on offense. They just need to be better than what's currently on the roster.
There's already a 2nd tier of QB contracts. QBs that don't get paid by the team that drafted them. For example, if the Giants move on from Daniel Jones. He probably won't see 40M a year again.

But here's the problem with QBs on rookie deals. If they play good enough where you want to extend them, they take no less than market value. It's like a pact they have. No other position can do this. The reason QBs do it is because, what other choice do you have? They'll walk and test the market. If they take less, then they set a standard to take less. This is why they don't do it. Until owners refuse to pay these QBs off their rookie contract, this will never change. Purdy is not going to accept less than top market value when it comes time for the 49ers to pay him.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
If Penix were to be there at 24, would you draft him?
No he's Dak 2.0 just better thrower. did you see him in title game Biggest Deer in head lights i've ever seen. Bigger than Dak. i dont want someone that wilts under pressure. i want someone thats in everyones faces saying lets get our Crap together and do this not sitting on the sidelines looking at scoreboard going how did we get here i have nothing i can do.

morat1959

Reaction score
NO…If you’re gonna take a QB, trade up, give up what it takes and go all in on one of the top 2. It’s hit or miss but it’s time to try and get Drake Maye if he checks all the boxes. Take the 2-3 year hit and rebuild it. The kid out of lswho ain’t it either. When his legs go…he goes.

Chasing6

Reaction score
NO…If you’re gonna take a QB, trade up, give up what it takes and go all in on one of the top 2. It’s hit or miss but it’s time to try and get Drake Maye if he checks all the boxes. Take the 2-3 year hit and rebuild it. The kid out of lswho ain’t it either. When his legs go…he goes.
We don't have enough ammo

Chasing6

Reaction score
Respectfully disagree. No player, players or draft picks are safe when making the move to draft a potential franchise QB.
Ok, so trade CD and Parsons and gamble on another QB that could end up just like Trance.

morat1959

Reaction score
Ok, so trade CD and Parsons and gamble on another QB that could end up just like Trance.
You’ve got to start somewhere. Status quo on the way the Jones view the QB position hasn’t worked in 30 years. If they think a QB is the real deal…go all in.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I agree with the Geno comp... but where would you draft Geno if he was coming out?

He's a middle of the pack QB playing on a middle of the pack contract, and it pays him the same as all-pro stud DEs like Bosa and Garrett. If you think that Penix has a similar value, then you could justify picking him ahead of anyone but a blue chipper.
Or Tyrod Taylor.

Havic

Reaction score
I think you have to draft him, but also means admitting Lance was a bad trade.

Flamma

Reaction score
Respectfully disagree. No player, players or draft picks are safe when making the move to draft a potential franchise QB.
Problem is, Chicago, Washington, and the Patriots are probably saying there are no players or picks that can prevent them from drafting their potential franchise QB. The best anyone is going to be able to trade up is pick #4. I would not sell the farm for McCarthy.

morat1959

Reaction score
Problem is, Chicago, Washington, and the Patriots are probably saying there are no players or picks that can prevent them from drafting their potential franchise QB. The best anyone is going to be able to trade up is pick #4. I would not sell the farm for McCarthy.
Me either!

GuitarBytes

Reaction score
absolutely yes, let him learn this year under Dak, and then let Dak go and you save a lot of money, next year you would have a competition between Penix and Lance, for the QB of the immediate future, with Dak nothing is going to be accomplished, for two reasons, he is incapable of winning in big games, and the financial impact is very big,

Malhavoc

Reaction score
absolutely yes, let him learn this year under Dak, and then let Dak go and you save a lot of money, next year you would have a competition between Penix and Lance, for the QB of the immediate future, with Dak nothing is going to be accomplished, for two reasons, he is incapable of winning in big games, and the financial impact is very big,
This would be the approach I take. But this front office doesn’t have it in them to do this. They basically sat out FA and are going to extend Dak over the summer. And they will give him what he wants. Could have done that before FA and created a ton of cap space. But then they would have to explain not spending it.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
If he's there at 24 get on the phone with 31 other teams and lets make a deal...