Mick Shots: Taking Out The Driver On This Day

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not going out on much of a limb to figure this out is there? Pretty obvious stuff.

I'd have to think so. And if that's what it is, and I can get Joseph for Looney or Su'a Filo, I'm all over it. I just wish it happened a week ago so I had the decision on whether or not to pick up his 5th year option.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I'd trade him in heartbeat. Not that he didn't do a nice job, but we're loaded at that spot and he said in a contract year. And wouldn't it be great to turn a street free agent into a starting safety?

One can dream...
yep I'd do the deal on that doo. Hey, maybe a reason we drafted C McG which I liked from day 1, may like it even more eventually

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yep I'd do the deal on that doo. Hey, maybe a reason we drafted C McG which I liked from day 1, may like it even more eventually

I'd consider it a byproduct more than a plan. The team had McGovern ranked really high on their board, strictly from a scouting perspective. But they never visited with him because they assumed he'd be drafted well before that pick and they didn't have a big need at that spot. But plans changed when that name was flashing on their board. And now, they may have a surplus and the opportunity to improve a weakness in another area. Win-win.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was a good pick and they made the right move not trading down at that spot. The most intriguing OL they picked up to me was OT Hyatt from Clemson, I was shocked he wasn't drafted. I could be overvaluing him but how many 4 year starters do you get off 2 time College championship teams that aren't drafted?

Kaiser

Reaction score
I'd trade him in heartbeat. Not that he didn't do a nice job, but we're loaded at that spot and he said in a contract year. And wouldn't it be great to turn a street free agent into a starting safety?

One can dream...

Sua-Filo was also a liability in pass protection even when he was doing an average average job in run blocking. To paraphrase Spagnola, that is why he was available.

I would keep him on the roster because he is quality depth and you could have another injury in training camp, but if everyone is healthy and you can get something back for him at the final roster cutdown..... do it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sua-Filo was also a liability in pass protection even when he was doing an average average job in run blocking. To paraphrase Spagnola, that is why he was available.

I would keep him on the roster because he is quality depth and you could have another injury in training camp, but if everyone is healthy and you can get something back for him at the final roster cutdown..... do it.

And even in a competition with Looney, he comes in last. Looney can play both guard and center (obviously), but Su'a Filo is a one trick pony.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Exactly. He has proven his metal as a scout and the metal was soft. Just the facts man, just the facts.

I don't exactly want Broaddus doing my taxes but he did run an Eagles draft that produced three Pro Bowl players. You can't compare him to the top scouts but his information is far better than most of the sports writers out there. I'll take that over guys like Mel Kiper or the guys on this site that spend five minutes on Youtube before spending hours arguing about the player.

Kaiser

Reaction score
And even in a competition with Looney, he comes in last. Looney can play both guard and center (obviously), but Su'a Filo is a one trick pony.

Exactly, he is our 5th OG right now for the two spots on the field.

Still plenty of time for things to shake out though, Williams has added weight and McGovern says he can play OT so there are plenty of options we will really need to see Preseason to get a handle on.

glimmerman

Reaction score
OK Mick haters, pick this one apart. Actually this is a very informative article. And I have my :popcorn: ready to see how, if you can pick this one apart.
A lot of good stuff in this, with all, or most the injury updates.
I did not know Frederick also had shoulder and a hernia surgery.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mick-shots-taking-out-the-driver-on-this-day
Pretty good article, thanks for sharing.

Not surprised to see all these surgeries or see them happening right now. These players are smart in a way that they wait so they are healing during mini camps and can rehab. They worry about a season ending injury happening when it’s not needed for them to be running around. I prefer to see them conditioning all they can to help get in sync as a team and conditioning that will help them throughout the year. But looks like they will pretty much all be ready for normal cupcake training camp. Except D-Law, I may be happy we signed him but still don’t like him holding out on a surgery that keeps him from camp.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I don't exactly want Broaddus doing my taxes but he did run an Eagles draft that produced three Pro Bowl players. You can't compare him to the top scouts but his information is far better than most of the sports writers out there. I'll take that over guys like Mel Kiper or the guys on this site that spend five minutes on Youtube before spending hours arguing about the player.

Yeah, don't like Kiper at all. My favorite draft analyst was Mayock on the D side of the ball. We'll see how he does with the Raiders because Chuckies history in the draft isn't good.

BB killed me when he went off on M Bernardeau and how great he was. BB started writing that year and Bernardeau was FA signee that year. Then there was always BB and his pet cat T Will who was always going to have a great year "next year".

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are the trade inquiries because of the perception from other teams of the Cowboys' Safety lineup or because they covet their backup OL?

He must use this forum as one of his research because sometimes he could address some of us by our moniker. He came close to doing that on the old DC.com in response to a thread I'd started. He'd be much better if he stuck to this type of reporting because that was some real news on those injuries and he didn't play the "you kidding me" card or play the "shame on you fans" card.
Jerry plants these articles here to see if Risen agrees.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
We be stock pilin the O-line, waitin on the D-line and hopin for the bee line straight to the SB mmmmmm hmmmmm says Billy Bob

giphy.gif

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
OK Mick haters, pick this one apart. Actually this is a very informative article. And I have my :popcorn: ready to see how, if you can pick this one apart.

My question is who is the Safety. With McGovern here and able to play both OG and OC, I would be willing to trade Looney for the right player

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm convinced someone else is writing some of Mickey's articles.

Mickey normally has a very recognizable writing style and the past 2 articles that I've read just don't match his normal style.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I can't help but to think that by "teams" they mean "Raiders" and by "safety" they mean Karl Joseph. Too much recent talk on that not to be the case. They drafted on in the first round and signed another to a big money deal. And then they ejected not to pick up Joseph's 5th year option. And they have a huge hole at their left guard position. Too many things lining up there.
I wouldn't discount Green Bay and Josh Jones (2nd round pick in 2017. 6-2/220). They signed a FA safety (Amos) and drafted one in the first round (savage).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't discount Green Bay and Josh Jones (2nd round pick in 2017. 6-2/220). They signed a FA safety (Amos) and drafted one in the first round (savage).

Do they have a 'Chaz Green problem' at guard as well?