Audio: Mickey and Shan got into it on the radio today

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
They use it in scouting, prep and even in game decision making. Now, sure, they don’t let it dictate every play but they use it.

Far more than our bunch of crackpots.

I can't speak to that. I don't know how much they do or don't and I don't know how much we do or don't. I mean, if the point you are trying to get at here is that our HC sucks and their HC is great, there is no argument.

I'm just saying that I agree with what Mickey and Garrett said about using Analytics to make game time changes.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Well, Analytics aren't the be all, end all either. I mean, the people who are successful in the NFL are not the ones who follow the trend. By that time, you are behind the eight ball. They are the ones who are in front of the curve. People laughed at New England when they hired Belichick, after the whole Cleveland debacle but you know what, people aren't laugh any more, unless you count that nervous laugh you hear from fans, just before you play them. Analytics are a tool, they are not the answer IMO.
People laughed when Jerry hired Jimmy too.

Great point on Belichick, he's a cheater but he's just so good you still have it in the back of your head did he cheat or is he just that good. More times than not he's just that great.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
People laughed when Jerry hired Jimmy too.

Great point on Belichick, he's a cheater but he's just so good you still have it in the back of your head did he cheat or is he just that good. More times than not he's just that great.

He's pretty damned good Latin.

Zman5

Reaction score
Fortune 500 companies, Federal agencies, and DOD all are big on analytics

Yeh they are all wrong and JJ,JG and Mickey are more clever than them. :facepalm:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Will McClay uses analytics so I don't know why anyone would argue that the Cowboys don't have it as a factory that affects the product on the field.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
He is most certainly in that discussion Latin.

There hasnt been a team thats dominated the NFL for so long the way he has. The closest is probably Lombardi, but not even close to Belichicks extent.

IN todays NFL where you have a league of players who are individuals except in one place where you're a team player or youre gone.That in itself is mind blowing. Players literally fear this guy.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There hasnt been a team thats dominated the NFL for so long the way he has. The closest is probably Lombardi, but not even close to Belichicks extent.

IN todays NFL where you have a league of players who are individuals except in one place where you're a team player or youre gone.That in itself is mind blowing. Players literally fear this guy.

Well, there has never been the situation where the League could be dominated in this way either. I mean, the NFL has set up parody and in that situation, if you have one guy who is very good, then the conditions are right for a team to dominate in this way. Never in the history of the NFL have you had this situation where you have a bunch of teams who are all pretty much average. Doesn't take away from his greatness but in the old days, in the NFL that preceded this current era, this would not have happened IMO. In those days, you had a hand full of excellent teams and you wouldn't dominate them year in and year out.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Well, there has never been the situation where the League could be dominated in this way either. I mean, the NFL has set up parody and in that situation, if you have one guy who is very good, then the conditions are right for a team to dominate in this way. Never in the history of the NFL have you had this situation where you have a bunch of teams who are all pretty much average. Doesn't take away from his greatness but in the old days, in the NFL that preceded this current era, this would not have happened IMO. In those days, you had a hand full of excellent teams and you wouldn't dominate them year in and year out.

Belichick has owned this league doing it the oldschool way. He's dominated the league with guys people didnt want and one of the greatest QBs in history too. That further makes him more great IMO. He has a system and the players buy into him. Its like a chess player matched up against a checkers player. I dont think it would change in any era. He's just IMO the greatest football mind ever.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Just listened to it. They started off on the wrong foot with the dez question. Mickey is on the right of those social issues he’s made some comments about those things on the cowboy podcasts that make me think they were either poking at him to get a response or they’re just dumb and the second half when the guy went off showed that maybe they’re just dumb. I wonder if Mickey was still there to hear that doofus.

but I agree with dez the image the cowboys are putting out there really only aligns with a small very vocal part of their fan base and I think having players like Quinn and Bennett on the roster is definitely a step in the right direction.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Well, Analytics aren't the be all, end all either. I mean, the people who are successful in the NFL are not the ones who follow the trend. By that time, you are behind the eight ball. They are the ones who are in front of the curve. People laughed at New England when they hired Belichick, after the whole Cleveland debacle but you know what, people aren't laugh any more, unless you count that nervous laugh you hear from fans, just before you play them. Analytics are a tool, they are not the answer IMO.

You’re right. They are a tool. And the entire argument is that the coaches should be using that tool during the games. But they aren’t. And that’s what bugs people. They aren’t even using the tool during the games.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Belichick has owned this league doing it the oldschool way. He's dominated the league with guys people didnt want and one of the greatest QBs in history too. That further makes him more great IMO. He has a system and the players buy into him. Its like a chess player matched up against a checkers player. I dont think it would change in any era. He's just IMO the greatest football mind ever.

Well, that's the thing the Latin, Belichick isn't different. Belichick is very much like all of the Old School greats. In fact, he is very much like Landry. If you study both those men and their careers, their coaching methods, there are a lot of similarities. The difference between Landry and Belichick is when they coached. Landry Coached in an era where you had significantly better teams in the league. The league was not watered down. You had the Packers and the Colts and the Dolphins and the Steelers and the Giants and the Skins and the Raiders, just to name a few. They were all super teams in their own rights, with HOF Coaches. You don't see that in todays NFL. So when you get one guy who is of that quality, we see what we have seen for the last few years.

JMO

yimyammer

Reaction score

It also becomes a self fulfilling prophecy in that Bill has proven his acumen beyond all shadow of doubt. So his credibility and trust from players is off the charts & when they arrive in New England, they're already bought in and believe if they just do what he says, they'll win and if they don't feel and act this way, they're gone.

as it should be

but it takes time to build this type of environment and you obviously have to have a coach qualified to pull it off, skins on the wall ( or get them quickly) plus an owner and GM willing to support this way of doing things.

I'm SO envious

I miss winning football being the main priority

yimyammer

Reaction score

correction, jeri set up a parody in Dallas

the NFL set up parity

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
100% agree. I just shook my head at Garrett for dismissing the thought of analytics and saying they don't consider them. It's shameful.
Well yes. But he also was a bit too truthful there. His politician.exe program probably malfunctioned.

Think about it. If he is selling himself to a new age owner, he basically is admitting he is a football troglodyte.

He can snow Jerry Jones and has done so for years. Some of these other owners who want the new whiz bang coach, he is not going to be a good sell to fan bases.

He really is not a retread. Just some stump whose owner stuck too long with him. Marvin Lewis had to hook up with his buddy in the college ranks.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
It also becomes a self fulfilling prophecy in that Bill has proven his acumen beyond all shadow of doubt. So his credibility and trust from players is off the charts & when they arrive in New England, they're already bought in and believe if they just do what he says, they'll win and if they don't feel and act this way, they're gone.

as it should be

but it takes time to build this type of environment and you obviously have to have a coach qualified to pull it off, skins on the wall ( or get them quickly) plus an owner and GM willing to support this way of doing things.

I'm SO envious

I miss winning football being the main priority
I think every teams priority is to win. Theres only so many coaches and so many playerswho do it. I dont like when fans say that. I think if a fan would say that to a player or coach they'd probably get handled like when Everrett got a hold of jim rome on live tv