Microcosm of why we are losing a generation of fans (pragmatic)

Jipper

Reaction score
We lost...ok, I've seen it before, at 41 I've seen the highs the lows, the Vikings playoff loss, this loss and the 3 years in a row of losing a play in game to miss the playoffs....along with a ton of other stuff.

My 3, 7 and 9 yo only know that daddy loves the cowboys, we wear our jerseys on game day, have fun football food and cheer for them no matter what...

See an eagles jersey and ask them what we say? Response- boo eagles go cowboys....and it's the same for giants and skins.

My point...the 7 and 9 yo have now seen enough of regular season glory and post season flops to know something is amiss...not at a point whwre they are lost yet but a few more of these and they are at risk of just being average fans...or worse becoming home town fans ( panthers).

This exact scenario is playing out across the county and is heart breaking for many of us with kids and grandkids(,not yet for me) that we want to share this team with.

I am sure we will see another good team next year but the heart of this fan base is dying, and the young ones that we need to fill the ranks are going to become apathetic.

Change must happen now...God speed all you fathers , mothers, grandfather's and grandmother's, and greats and beyond...keep the love of the star alive

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I'm 38 and I'm starting to become apathetic. If we extend Dak i just don't know how I'm going to be excited for the coming seasons. That and the game is just changing in general. It's mostly just watching some guys play catch with the way they officiate any attempt at playing defense.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There are grown adults with their own families who will tell you that the Cowboys are a loser franchise and always were as far as they knew.

But…Jerry is a football man and smarter than the rest of the world. Just ask him.

I’ve really gotta figure out a way to be done with this clown.

wecasa

Reaction score
My son's in his 20s and he's a Carolina fan due to cam Newton. He thinks my Cowboys are a disaster... yet his team just won 2 games all year. I thought I raised better...

pitt33

Reaction score
I'm 38 and I'm starting to become apathetic. If we extend Dak i just don't know how I'm going to be excited for the coming seasons. That and the game is just changing in general. It's mostly just watching some guys play catch with the way they officiate any attempt at playing defense.
If they extend Prescott I wouldn’t watch another minute of Cowboy football.

I’ve gone on record to say I’m done.

I’ve bore witness to enough of this crap from Jones & company.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
This is the way...exactly my point
My son takes his lil football and goes you take a step and you throw

it’s everyday cute

Maybe he will be the one to win it all for you guys one day. I’ll help him along the way

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score
We lost...ok, I've seen it before, at 41 I've seen the highs the lows, the Vikings playoff loss, this loss and the 3 years in a row of losing a play in game to miss the playoffs....along with a ton of other stuff.

My 3, 7 and 9 yo only know that daddy loves the cowboys, we wear our jerseys on game day, have fun football food and cheer for them no matter what...

See an eagles jersey and ask them what we say? Response- boo eagles go cowboys....and it's the same for giants and skins.

My point...the 7 and 9 yo have now seen enough of regular season glory and post season flops to know something is amiss...not at a point whwre they are lost yet but a few more of these and they are at risk of just being average fans...or worse becoming home town fans ( panthers).

This exact scenario is playing out across the county and is heart breaking for many of us with kids and grandkids(,not yet for me) that we want to share this team with.

I am sure we will see another good team next year but the heart of this fan base is dying, and the young ones that we need to fill the ranks are going to become apathetic.

Change must happen now...God speed all you fathers , mothers, grandfather's and grandmother's, and greats and beyond...keep the love of the star alive
I can't relate with you, sorry..

I have kids. We do not wear football jerseys of our favorite teams. Waste of money, and honestly it's a poor man's mentality.

Next, I reach my kids to like teams or players that stand out to them. Don't like the cowboys just because you live here or your family likes them. That's how religion is spread. Stand up and be your own and root for who you want.

However, if any child I raised rooted for the cowboys, I would be disappointed. They should be able to spot a loser a mile away.

ScalperX

Reaction score
I feel bad for the youngsters on here that weren't around during the Jimmy Johnson years. I really do.
I’m 39, so I was 8,9, and 11 for the glory years. Even though I remember them, I didn’t appreciate it like I would now.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
People like to root for winners and I'm sure many of you here can trace your fandom back to the 90s. It was a fun time, fun team, and they were winning. It attracted fans from out of the market and all over the country which probably wouldn't have happened without the dynasty years.

The longer that goes the more new fans will probably adopt their home team or that next dynasty team. The Patriots definitely picked up a lot of fans the last couple decades and maybe the Chiefs are next with the backing of Tayloe Swift.

Regardless the Cowboys still have a huge fan base so it would probably take another couple decades to start see the fan base get smaller.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rz51RH5.png

Jipper

Reaction score
I can't relate with you, sorry..

I have kids. We do not wear football jerseys of our favorite teams. Waste of money, and honestly it's a poor man's mentality.

Next, I reach my kids to like teams or players that stand out to them. Don't like the cowboys just because you live here or your family likes them. That's how religion is spread. Stand up and be your own and root for who you want.

However, if any child I raised rooted for the cowboys, I would be disappointed. They should be able to spot a loser a mile away.
"Poor mans mentality " to wear jerseys? Wow...could you be more judgemental

I'm glad you aren't raising your kids to be cowboys fans because we don't need anymore of fans like you

Cmac

Reaction score
I’m 39, so I was 8,9, and 11 for the glory years. Even though I remember them, I didn’t appreciate it like I would now.
I hope you get to witness in your formidable years now. I'm so sorry.

I live in the DMV and just watched the game with Commander fans. And though they have their own misery, they certainly enjoyed today much more than I. (All in fun).

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
No kids here yet, but I am a Charlottean myself who was raised by a father who is a Cowboys fan. So I understand half the sentiment.

It's kind of weird - I would probably be a Panthers fan to this day had I not hated their players so much when I was a kid growing up in Charlotte. Kerry Collins in the 90's was one of the most unlikeable franchise QB's ever. First round pick Rae Carruth had the mother of his child murdered literally on the side of the road in South Charlotte. Fred Lane was shot to death by his wife literally the next year. It was constant negativity with the team, so I wanted nothing to do with them. I was obsessed with Deion Sanders as long as I can remember, and he's probably the reason I stayed loyal to the Cowboys starting back then. The Cowboys were rockstars in the 90s, so a lot of kids like myself caught on. The Cowboys have been pathetic since the Clinton Adminstration, so it's harder for younger fans out of market to catch on and be passionate. It's not a complicated concept.

mldardy

Reaction score
For the younger fans games like today are the fans I feel extra bad for. I feel bad for all of us that have to endure this pain and frustration every year. I grew up and still live in Indianapolis and I was a Cowboys fan before the Colts moved here. I'm not jealous of the Colts because they've at least known what it feels like to win in this century. None of us deserve this bs that we cheer for and watch on a week to week, year to year basis. I'm almost 50 years old and the last time we won a Super Bowl I was TWENTY ONE years old. If you had told me that at that time that this is the last Super Bowl, hell NFCCG appearance you will see for a longgggg time I would have thought you were insane. I almost feel like we are never going to get there again and I just need to savor what I felt almost 30 years ago.