Might Dak/WRs/Moore make Zeke expendable?

Reaction score
Bear with me for a second... By no means do I think that Dak is a top 10 NFL quarterback. But I do believe that Linehan held him back and we have not seen his best yet. With a top tier OL, an ascending WR corps (with a true #1, a solid deep threat #2, and a playmaking slot, not to mention a dangerous 3rd down RB), and a new offensive coordinator who will modernize and open up the offense, what happens if Dak lights it up this year? And the downfield passing game becomes as big of a threat as the running game?

Do you then re-up Zeke $15 million+/year? Or do you franchise him a year or two and spend the long-term money on Cooper, Jaylon, B Jones, Cobb?

Don't get me wrong, Zeke is the 1st or 2nd best RB in the game. And I love how he plays in all facets of the game. But this is a new NFL that stresses passing to win. And Zeke is one more significant offseason mistake from a year long or indefinite ban. And like we've seen with Gurley, RB's have a limited shelf life.

Thoughts?

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Bear with me for a second... By no means do I think that Dak is a top 10 NFL quarterback. But I do believe that Linehan held him back and we have not seen his best yet. With a top tier OL, an ascending WR corps (with a true #1, a solid deep threat #2, and a playmaking slot, not to mention a dangerous 3rd down RB), and a new offensive coordinator who will modernize and open up the offense, what happens if Dak lights it up this year? And the downfield passing game becomes as big of a threat as the running game?

Do you then re-up Zeke $15 million+/year? Or do you franchise him a year or two and spend the long-term money on Cooper, Jaylon, B Jones, Cobb?

Don't get me wrong, Zeke is the 1st or 2nd best RB in the game. And I love how he plays in all facets of the game. But this is a new NFL that stresses passing to win. And Zeke is one more significant offseason mistake from a year long or indefinite ban. And like we've seen with Gurley, RB's have a limited shelf life.

Thoughts?

Maybe we should wait and see if Moore is a good OC or not. We aren't even to training camp and people are already acting like he is the second coming of Jimmy. He hasn't coached a single game yet.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Thoughts?
why does anyone think franchising Zeke is ok, but doing it to Dak is wrong> We need to keep Zeke at all costs until he is no longer the player he is today. I personally would franchise Dak this year, and I would franchise Zeke for 2 years after that and NOT have to give up a long term deal. Hey, if you give me a set of rules to play by, and I am management, IM going to play by those rules to do what is best for the team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thoughts?

My point of view is that getting a Super Star player signed for 15M per is a bargain.

It's probably going to cost 18M to 20M for Cooper and over 32M for Dak.

Zeke does not get paid when suspended "banned".

pancakeman

Reaction score
Seems like just yesterday the team was hazarding that Zeke might make elite WRs expendable!

kskboys

Reaction score
IMO, WR's are more expendable than top tier RB's. Yes, I already know I'm in the minority on this one!!!!

I agreed w/ the team to not pay Murray, however Murray was a good back, not a generational talent.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thoughts?

Dak without Zeke is proven formula for DISASTER!
We wish we had a passing game where Zeke wasn't so important but its Zeke or BUST!
UNFORTUNATELY!!!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
IMO, WR's are more expendable than top tier RB's. Yes, I already know I'm in the minority on this one!!!!

I agreed w/ the team to not pay Murray, however Murray was a good back, not a generational talent.
No, you're right. It might be easier to find a good RB and they typically can be productive right out of the box, but an elite RB takes half the snaps and WR's share with all WRs and TEs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NO

Look at what they thought with a strong OL and could use RBBC approach. Then they decided to draft Zeke to correct that.

Yeah, but meanwhile Demarco Murray led the league in rushing and set franchise records along the way, and then Darren McFadden was the #4 leading rusher the year in between after a disappointing career. There's no doubt that this line has helped running backs to be great.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thoughts?

I think this speaks to two things:
  1. There will be some rough salary cap decisions to be made. Despite what some might like to think, you can't "just pay everybody" and throw top of the market deals at every soon-to-be free agent. And the numbers are rising for every contract every day, and even a $10 million a year cap jump doesn't cover it.
  2. Elliott is becoming a risk. It's yet to be determined if this latest incident results in a suspension, but if you're running a franchise, do you want to place your fate in this guy's hands? To risk your season on whether or not he'll be able to play? To rely on the unreliable? I wouldn't.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, but meanwhile Demarco Murray led the league in rushing and set franchise records along the way, and then Darren McFadden was the #4 leading rusher the year in between after a disappointing career. There's no doubt that this line has helped running backs to be great.

No doubt the OL has helped them as they do Zeke. But they were missing the best C in the NFL and as he was also one of the best OL in football, last year. Starting a rookie OG, and Tyron was still battling through some issues. and most on here hate Collins and say he sucks at RT. And yet Zeke led the rushing title by a mile as he didn't even play the last game.
So how good was the OL last year as Dak was sacked a lot, though many of them were his own doing, holding the ball too long, lack of some pocket awareness, though that improved with the addition of Cooper and having a true #1 WR. As WRBC did not work either.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No doubt the OL has helped them as they do Zeke. But they were missing the best C in the NFL and as he was also one of the best OL in football, last year. Starting a rookie OG, and Tyron was still battling through some issues. and most on here hate Collins and say he sucks at RT. And yet Zeke led the rushing title by a mile as he didn't even play the last game.

And still also ended up with over 40 more carries than the next guy as well, with a much lower yards per carry average.

Last year's rushing title was the result of sheer volume and number of carries. And despite all of those carries, he scored a middling 6 rushing touchdowns.

When that offensive line wasn't at it's best making the running back, the numbers weren't all that great.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Answer, YES...it could. Its up to Zeke. Does he wanna sell out in the offseason and focus only on football? Or does he want to be a mental midget? My guess is Zeke could well be playing his last year in Dallas and depending how that goes, could be traded.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NOPE! He's been a major part of our offense and I don't see this changing.

kskboys

Reaction score
Answer, YES...it could. Its up to Zeke. Does he wanna sell out in the offseason and focus only on football? Or does he want to be a mental midget? My guess is Zeke could well be playing his last year in Dallas and depending how that goes, could be traded.
Yeah, EZ's attitude alone makes me think we don't pay him. Let him play out his contract, franchise him, then later days.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, EZ's attitude alone makes me think we don't pay him. Let him play out his contract, franchise him, then later days.

I'm not predicting it, or advocating for it, but I'm also not ruling it out as "unthinkable" either.