Twitter: Might the Cowboys be interested in DE Yannick Ngakoue?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have the cap room.

This is about the cost to acquire him.

He'd easily get his asking price on the open market. Asking price plus a 1st and another high pick? Now that's a different story. Particularly since the Rams and Texans have exhausted their dumb move allowances.

Dude is a flat out baller.

Some of y'all see a name you can't pronounce and look for a reason to hate on a player.
This is short sighted because a team can't afford to only consider cap room now, it also has to consider future cap room needed. Committing to high priced, long term contracts can hurt a team long term if it isn't careful in how it manages things.

luckyman76

Reaction score
They (Howie Roseman) also said they feel like their team is super top-heavy roster and cap-wise and they don’t wanna keep going in that direction. They want to hold on to their assets and build depth and youth, while not setting an example for big contracts for outside guys.

These reasons are why they didn’t pursue Hopkins after the initial conversation with Houston.

If Philly feels top heavy they have nothing on us. That should raise the great big stop sign on this right away. Smart teams don't do this.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

No. Keep your draft picks. Its easier to find a 3/4 OLB vs a 4/3 DE. For every Demarcus Ware, there is a James Harrison, Kevin Greene, Greg Lloyd, and Yannick Ngakoue. Yannick is not Demarcus Ware talent level. So, you do not waste a 1st round pick on a system LB.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have the cap room.
This is about the cost to acquire him.
He'd easily get his asking price on the open market. Asking price plus a 1st and another high pick? Now that's a different story. Particularly since the Rams and Texans have exhausted their dumb move allowances.
Dude is a flat out baller.
Some of y'all see a name you can't pronounce and look for a reason to hate on a player.
Amigo, you had me until that last statement. Why interject something like that? That doesn't have one thing to do with him being so expensive.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
He's 25 and had at least 8 sacks all 4 years of his career. People just want entertainment in the draft. The Cowboys would be lucky to find this kind of pass rusher at 17. I'd do it in a second.
All true and if there wasn’t a salary cap, sign me up for a trade. We can’t afford to take on another huge salary right now.

817Gill

Reaction score
If Philly feels top heavy they have nothing on us. That should raise the great big stop sign on this right away. Smart teams don't do this.
Well it’s that in combination with their propensity to give up assets in trades as well as being big players in FA.

Being top heavy contractually makes sense if you draft well and use FA to plug holes at reasonable prices. If you’re giving away picks and spending on outside guys constantly, you are forced to have a much higher hit rate on those picks you do have while scraping the bottom of the barrel for depth.

If a team drafts well, it’s going to be somewhat top heavy on the books because it has selected and developed multiple top tier players. The argument that money is tied up to prevent depth is negated by your ability to draft said depth and sign it reasonably in FA. Draft good and great players, sign the great, let them good walk and replace them in the draft and FA.

This team’s philosophy and strategy aren’t without reason, it’s the execution that will make or break the strategy. Can you reduce the Taco’s and Trystan’s and increase the Gallup’s and Lawrence’s? Can you reduce the Paea’s and the Thornton’s and increase the Cobb’s and McCoy’s? If this team can dial it up right and McCarthy is the coach I think he is, we have a shot in a 2-3 year window during the prime of our core’s career.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Don't waste your time on it, I don't. It doesn't matter. Oh I make the occasional comments good and bad now and then, but not obsessed about it. No one can figure out just about any teams FO. Except NE. When you win that much, the fans don't care.
Wait until they have 5 or 6 years of the Garettism 8-8 seasons, then they too will complain. :muttley:

Maybe you didn't notice the entire new HC and coaching staff this year. Or the moves we have been making in FA and who to let go.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
There's certainly a measure of risk with Chaisson and much is based on projections and potential. But I remember hearing some of that same trepidation when I was mentioning TJ Watt in 2017 and we all know how that turned out.
Yep, I wanted Watt that year and was told by many in our draft forum that he was too small and could not play as a hands on the ground DE, which of course was moronic considering Gregory being drafted and the same things being said about him as well.

We want good football players and Defensive Coordinators worth their salt should be able to put them into position to succeed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, I wanted Watt that year and was told by many in our draft forum that he was too small and could not play as a hands on the ground DE, which of course was moronic considering Gregory being drafted and the same things being said about him as well.

Just remember the dummies who were telling you that nonsense as part of their 'Lame Cowboys Excuse Handbook'. Many of them are still around trying to give bad advice. I find it's just better to disregard anything they have to say as noise at this point. Their reputations are shot.

We want good football players and Defensive Coordinators worth their salt should be able to put them into position to succeed.

I'm optimistic that freeing ourselves from the dated concepts and philosophies of the past coaching staff will allow the player talent to shine. Old Man River can now proceed to destroy the Raiders defense. He's no longer our burden, although he managed to completely trash our defensive line before he was sent packing.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Just remember the dummies who were telling you that nonsense as part of their 'Lame Cowboys Excuse Handbook'. Many of them are still around trying to give bad advice. I find it's just better to disregard anything they have to say as noise at this point. Their reputations are shot.

I'm optimistic that freeing ourselves from the dated concepts and philosophies of the past coaching staff will allow the player talent to shine. Old Man River can now proceed to destroy the Raiders defense. He's no longer our burden, although he managed to completely trash our defensive line before he was sent packing.
:hammer::hammer:

FVSTONE

Reaction score
He's 25 and had at least 8 sacks all 4 years of his career. People just want entertainment in the draft. The Cowboys would be lucky to find this kind of pass rusher at 17. I'd do it in a second.
How would you pay this guy if you got him? What the Boy's need is to find OUTSTANDING players on the cheap in this year's draft and this year's draft have just happens to have what the good doctor ordered.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This guy?

274086.jpg