Might we see a backup QB signed before the season?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Every highlight I saw was of Gilbert dropping dimes... Are they talking about Dinucci, then I'd understand. I saw Gilbert in a game last year, was better than most backups and Dalton. What am I missing? Loser talking-head creeps like Broaddus and Cavanaugh? LOL
to the dbs yes..sure giving our Dbs confidence lol

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I don't want a capable back up QB screwing up our draft position by winning games.

What if we are 11-5 and tied for the NFC East and need to win the last game and Prescott get's Covid and has to sit out the last game but will be available for the play off game, if we win the last game? Want a capable back up then?

johneric8

Reaction score

Bortles? Some other scrub who may suck a little less than these guys?

So you are already going on record as saying gilbert sucks? Man, it would suck to live with the fandom that you display... Gilbert looked very good with limited opportunities and Ben has loads of ability as well..... Lets not forget Cooper Rush whom is a quality backup.. Look at last year, your savior Andrew Daltom whom was going to show us just how expendable Prescott was did an average job. I'm sorry, but to write off Gilbert as sucking is nut rolling at best, at least say the jury is out? Bortles isn't the answer, I would rather roll with someone who knows the offense.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Every highlight I saw was of Gilbert dropping dimes... Are they talking about Dinucci, then I'd understand. I saw Gilbert in a game last year, was better than most backups and Dalton. What am I missing?

A lot, apparently.

Gilbert is a 30 year old QB who has been out college since 2014, thrown 44 passes in the NFL and only completed 52% of them. Anything below 60% is trash in today's NFL. Six other NFL teams cut Gilbert before Dallas signed him out of desperation.

Even in his one legendary start he only completed 55% of this passes. His passer rating for that game was 72.6 and it's 70.5 for his career. Dalton completed 64% of his passes last year and had a passer rating of 87.3, so Gilbert was only better in your imagination.

He is not "better than most backups" when you consider you're talking about guys who have started - and won - several games in their NFL careers. Guys like Mariota, Tyrod Taylor, Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Foles, Blake Bortles, Joe Flacco, Blaine Gabbert, Colt McCoy, Mike Glennon, Mitch Trubisky, Jacoby Brissett, and Gardner Minshew. Gilbert isn't remotely better than any of those guys. He's a one-start, seven-year scrub still searching for his first win.

Hardline

Reaction score
What if we are 11-5 and tied for the NFC East and need to win the last game and Prescott get's Covid and has to sit out the last game but will be available for the play off game, if we win the last game? Want a capable back up then?
Highly unlikely that is the scenario..

bb721

Reaction score
If we end up going to a backup it really won't matter much.

That’s only true if Dak goes down for the year. What if he gets dinged and misses half a game? Or maybe he is out for 1-2 games? You need to have a capable backup.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
That’s only true if Dak goes down for the year. What if he gets dinged and misses half a game? Or maybe he is out for 1-2 games? You need to have a capable backup.

NO NO NO, we must LOSE at all cost, our draft position depends on it.... silly fan.

foofighters

Reaction score

Bortles? Some other scrub who may suck a little less than these guys?

On the other side of this, how many other backup QB's suck with the first team reps when the starter pulls out all of a sudden? I am sure most of these back up QB's are Shane Falco-esque and were partying it up the night before. On the other end, there's a lot of other teams that'd be up a creek if their starter went out.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
A lot, apparently.

Gilbert is a 30 year old QB who has been out college since 2014, thrown 44 passes in the NFL and only completed 52% of them. Anything below 60% is trash in today's NFL. Six other NFL teams cut Gilbert before Dallas signed him out of desperation.

Even in his one legendary start he only completed 55% of this passes. His passer rating for that game was 72.6 and it's 70.5 for his career. Dalton completed 64% of his passes last year and had a passer rating of 87.3, so Gilbert was only better in your imagination.

He is not "better than most backups" when you consider you're talking about guys who have started - and won - several games in their NFL careers. Guys like Mariota, Tyrod Taylor, Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Foles, Blake Bortles, Joe Flacco, Blaine Gabbert, Colt McCoy, Mike Glennon, Mitch Trubisky, Jacoby Brissett, and Gardner Minshew. Gilbert isn't remotely better than any of those guys. He's a one-start, seven-year scrub still searching for his first win.

Mostly everything you say here is true. So we'll have to see on Gilbert. But if you tell me we can get the level of play we got from Gilbert vs Pittsburgh from our backup, I'll take that every time. It's rarely going to be smooth and pretty from a backup QB. You're just looking for a guy who can run the offense without limitations. He appeared to do that for the most part. The exact opposite was the circus we saw in the game vs Philly the week before that. But hopefully we'll see if Gilbert is legit option as he gets considerable snaps in the preseason.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
My money is on Nick Foles...gotta be him. Chicago can't hang on to 3 QBs.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is coming to Fresno to be reunited with Big Mike . . .
He'd prefer someone else to fight with, aside from the GB FO. :lmao: