Mike Fisher Dak's replacement?

Chasing6

Reaction score
If Jerry Jones offers Dak a deal that Todd France feels is more valuable than Dak becoming a free agent I believe he’d advise Dak to accept it. Jerry knows what it will take to sign Dak. If he decides he wants to keep Dak he’ll make the necessary offer. Fans may be emotional about it, but Jerry Jones and Dak Prescott are not.
I think GM Jerry will be emotional when Dak declines the offer.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Who is the QB that is going to be Dak’s replacement? I haven’t watched the video because I’m not in the mood for Fish’s Jerry impersonation or Fish singing to Marsha.
Fish was just talking about a article/story someone else wrote, usa today I think.
In that they threw out 8 qb's who could replace Dak, and fish went thru the list and said none of those would work or are not really
available !
One was russell wilson lol who is in pittsburgh for this year at the least, so maybe the article was proposing these for 2025, I dont know.

Fish has said numerous times they should just sign dak or trade him, but do it now dont wait.

plymkr

Reaction score
Fish has said numerous times they should just sign dak or trade him, but do it now dont wait.
This might be the few things I agree with Fish on. If we’re not going to sign him then rip off the band aid now. Let’s see what Lance has.

As far as Russell Wilson. No way!

Chasing6

Reaction score
This might be the few things I agree with Fish on. If we’re not going to sign him then rip off the band aid now. Let’s see what Lance has.

As far as Russell Wilson. No way!
Sure rip of the band aid and pay $55M in cap space for a QB on the bench.

plymkr

Reaction score
As opposed to wasting a season and having 2 QBs leave. Yes. Definitely yes, rip off the band aid so we can get a look at Lance.

I’ve said this before in a couple threads. The absolute worst case scenario for the Cowboys is if Dak and Lance leave the Cowboys and have productive years with other teams. So if the Cowboys have already decided they’re parting ways with Dak after 2024 then give Lance a season to see what we have.

Chasing6

Reaction score
As opposed to wasting a season and having 2 QBs leave. Yes. Definitely yes, rip off the band aid so we can get a look at Lance.

I’ve said this before in a couple threads. The absolute worst case scenario for the Cowboys is if Dak and Lance leave the Cowboys and have productive years with other teams. So if the Cowboys have already decided they’re parting ways with Dak after 2024 then give Lance a season to see what we have.
No. The worse case scenario is Dak leaves and you are stuck with Trance. HS QB's have thrown more passes than he has in his entire career.

https://www.maxpreps.com/la/new-orl...anning/football/stats/?careerid=tioj410u1sgrb

See how he started all 4 years? 642 completions compared to Trance's 55.
:lmao:

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It’s kind of a balance act. If you got a starter and other needs you don’t want to be spending 1st rounders every other year on a QB. Likewise you don’t want to only scour the UDFAs. So my response is a balancing of the two. I’d be cool with spending a 1-3 rounder every 3rd year when you have an incumbent starter. That way you don’t get lazy but also don’t deprive other needs in the team.

Actually since August is the route I really like. We traded for a developmental guy (Lance) who has potential and has started previously on a team and we got him for a 4th rounder. I’m still confused how anyone can think trading for Lance was a bad idea. Also we got this new kid that Kurt Warner likes as a UDFA, if we sign him. To me this is the perfect way to do it. Spend some draft capital on a guy that can be developed and has already played as a starter. The only thing I wish was different was Lance had more years on his contract.
ok, so perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I had posted about this a few other times. finding the right QB is key. there are only 2 Elite QBs, few good ones and then take your pick. in those situations you need to build a strong supporting cast around them (ala Philly and Hurts) and take a shot or two. we should draft high right now, because Dak is 30. we need to find the replacement. but it doesn't hurt every 3,4, or 5 years to spend one of your first 3 round picks on a QB and develop and trade or have options in the back pocket when comes negotiation time. so I agree with what you said above as I have advocated for the same. perhaps 3 years is too soon, but 4, or 5 years? defintley.
so no to drafting a QB first round every year. that would be crazy.

and Romo and Warner were special cases. 30 teams, 50 plus years and you get two of those. and only one really succeeded. so not saying don't scour UDFA, you always have to churn the bottom of the roster and every few years you may find a gem or two. but that's can't be your plan.

and I question the lance trade specially with what the team has done since. lets say you are taking a flyer on a guy hoping it may work out and he can turn it around. low chance given what is known. so a flyer nevertheless. but now, you didn't pick up his 5th year option. so traded for a guy late in the year. made him your 3rd stringer. have your starting QB under contract for only one year. and the guy you traded for and took a flyer is also here for one year. that's stupid.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Glade you are not a GM with that plan. Suck, draft a first round qb, if he sucks, draft another one. LOL
that's the thing that's not a plan that is the reality of the NFL that is why when people are trying to move on from a guy who just came off one of his best seasons without already having that guy it could be a very long time before we end up even back where we're at now everyone thinks if you just build a better team you can have a mid level quarterback and I've been looking around the NFL that hasn't happened in a while there hasn't been any dominant defenses paired with a dominant run game that are regularly getting to and winning Super Bowls it's actually been the opposite it's been Patrick mahomes and Tom Brady paired with the elite coaching staff with an elite quarterback play and they've been winning most of the Super bowls..

If somehow we were on the verge of having some kind of shutdown dominant defense with a run game and an offensive line then you could take mid level guys at quarterback and probably still win but we don't have that I don't know where the reality is coming from our fan base that they think somehow it's easy to build a suffocating shutdown defense and we're talking about the Ravens having under 13 points per game average all year and the playoffs our defense is giving up thirteen points 1/4 in the last playoff game they got worse not better and even when our defense is really good it's never been that good and we haven't had a really good defense and a really good run game together at any one point in a very long time because we have Prescott would have been to a championship game already his rookie year we were good enough the defense could not stop Aaron Rodgers again again the defense gave up 278 yards in the 2018 Rams game the defense in the first half of the 49er game I believe it was 2021 gave up ten yards per carry to debo Samuels literally people don't remember that because they think the score was low that the defense played well well the offensive line also had 11 penalties and the defense had four critical penalties that extended drives that eats up time of possession that all is part of the game...

So yeah the delusion that some people have around here is that we have that type of defense and support that we could just plug any quarterback in that can give you anything and it would fix all our problems and I think that somehow they're living in a dark room with some darts shades on because that is not what our team is looked like our team has been quarterback dependent for a very long time even when we had a great run game we didn't have a good enough defense... There was always something in these big games go wrong we either can't run the ball we have the big fumble we have the big interception the defense gives up a ton of yards a ton of points I mean we have not put together a great game from all three phases in a very long time and that is what Troy and Roger had early and often in their careers that Romo and Prescott have not and when people wake up and realize that maybe we can always agree that it's not going to be easy to replace Prescott and we need to stop thinking about the money to build the rest of the team because that hasn't happened whether we had the money or not...​

blueblood70

Reaction score
Fish was just talking about a article/story someone else wrote, usa today I think.
In that they threw out 8 qb's who could replace Dak, and fish went thru the list and said none of those would work or are not really
available !
One was russell wilson lol who is in pittsburgh for this year at the least, so maybe the article was proposing these for 2025, I dont know.

Well, I'm not going to open and read the article but I would assume they mean 2025...

I mean if a move was going to be made at quarterback here ,you know like you behind the doors chat with our quarterback in our ownership,

they would have already try that in February, literally set up a plan to let Prescott give them his list of where he'd like to go where he'd waive his no trade clause and before all the big moves made at quarterback we're made... this would have had to been done already , you know before the league year got going, they would have already talked about this and then as soon as it was legal during the tampering Relief this would have happened..

this is not happening!! we are not rolling without Prescott this year you know this by the moves or lack thereof by this team they're depending on Prescott and the rest of the players that they kept no one's being traded no key pieces I know Mr. Stuart little whoever his name is over here try to propose all the guys we might move to save a little money,

it's not happening!! this is what the ownership wanted a last run with the core guys and then they'll make a decision for 2025.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Glade you are not a GM with that plan. Suck, draft a first round qb, if he sucks, draft another one. LOL
well we have actually got a team that did exactly what you suggest. Didnt work out so well for them.
All of you that are sayin to just go out and draft a QB and problem solved are nuts. Some teams have been looking for THE man for 30+ years and are still looking.... but lets just take your strategy. Its simple.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
that's the thing that's not a plan that is the reality of the NFL that is why when people are trying to move on from a guy who just came off one of his best seasons without already having that guy it could be a very long time before we end up even back where we're at now everyone thinks if you just build a better team you can have a mid level quarterback and I've been looking around the NFL that hasn't happened in a while there hasn't been any dominant defenses paired with a dominant run game that are regularly getting to and winning Super Bowls it's actually been the opposite it's been Patrick mahomes and Tom Brady paired with the elite coaching staff with an elite quarterback play and they've been winning most of the Super bowls..

If somehow we were on the verge of having some kind of shutdown dominant defense with a run game and an offensive line then you could take mid level guys at quarterback and probably still win but we don't have that I don't know where the reality is coming from our fan base that they think somehow it's easy to build a suffocating shutdown defense and we're talking about the Ravens having under 13 points per game average all year and the playoffs our defense is giving up thirteen points 1/4 in the last playoff game they got worse not better and even when our defense is really good it's never been that good and we haven't had a really good defense and a really good run game together at any one point in a very long time because we have Prescott would have been to a championship game already his rookie year we were good enough the defense could not stop Aaron Rodgers again again the defense gave up 278 yards in the 2018 Rams game the defense in the first half of the 49er game I believe it was 2021 gave up ten yards per carry to debo Samuels literally people don't remember that because they think the score was low that the defense played well well the offensive line also had 11 penalties and the defense had four critical penalties that extended drives that eats up time of possession that all is part of the game...

So yeah the delusion that some people have around here is that we have that type of defense and support that we could just plug any quarterback in that can give you anything and it would fix all our problems and I think that somehow they're living in a dark room with some darts shades on because that is not what our team is looked like our team has been quarterback dependent for a very long time even when we had a great run game we didn't have a good enough defense... There was always something in these big games go wrong we either can't run the ball we have the big fumble we have the big interception the defense gives up a ton of yards a ton of points I mean we have not put together a great game from all three phases in a very long time and that is what Troy and Roger had early and often in their careers that Romo and Prescott have not and when people wake up and realize that maybe we can always agree that it's not going to be easy to replace Prescott and we need to stop thinking about the money to build the rest of the team because that hasn't happened whether we had the money or not...​
I was all in until you said that Mahomes and Brady were paired with elite coaching staffs. Those coaches became 'Elite," only after they got paired with the elite qb.

Reid has always been good, but in 76 years of coaching he had exactly the same number of Lombardis in his case as I do.

mahomes takes over and pow.... Reid is a genius.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I was all in until you said that Mahomes and Brady were paired with elite coaching staffs. Those coaches became 'Elite," only after they got paired with the elite qb.

Reid has always been good, but in 76 years of coaching he had exactly the same number of Lombardis in his case as I do.

mahomes takes over and pow.... Reid is a genius.
Nah he was close many times owned the east in early 2000s but neve had the qb to elevate his system, trust me they work together. If pm ended up on 16 other teams like jets Washington not etc he. Could I have been Eli at best... it matters who you are aligned with... many players are wasted by bad coaching staffs or gyms teams etc..

So a great staff working with agreat talent and enveloping a system with the right players around the qb etc is why Reid became elite..its been there but takes the right players to work with all the genius calls..its why Goof and Garropo could not get as ae in the systems with those coaches but rams year one with the right qb got it done...

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Nah he was close many times owned the east in early 2000s but neve had the qb to elevate his system, trust me they work together. If pm ended up on 16 other teams like jets Washington not etc he. Could I have been Eli at best... it matters who you are aligned with... many players are wasted by bad coaching staffs or gyms teams etc..

So a great staff working with agreat talent and enveloping a system with the right players around the qb etc is why Reid became elite..its been there but takes the right players to work with all the genius calls..its why Goof and Garropo could not get as ae in the systems with those coaches but rams year one with the right qb got it done...
No Mahomes, Chiefs never made an AFC title game under Reid... not even close.. mahomes shows up and immediately is in afc title game and the SBs every year.

Billy boy sucked prior to Brady arriving and he sucked immediately after he left.

Bengals sucked, worst team in football, Burrow shows up, pow, immediate AFC title contenders.

In the history of the game, there are only a couple of coaches who have ever won with more than the 1 HOF qb they were lucky enough to have. That says all you need to know.

Im done with this conversation as we have it every year. No need to keep going.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
WELL they would have to try and find a trade he would accept, if that fails, then he has to play.
If he refuses to play I think he would not get paid?

The one thing they could also do is play lance against carolina and see if he can beat them or some other not that good team.
Just to see how he does in real game.
Also could play him in red zone, on roll out and run or throw type play.
Similar to how NO used to use their bkup qb, which worked pretty good for them

DandyDon52

Reaction score

yeah I have been saying for awhile coaches matter.....alot!
your point that the qb and team work together well, makes them both better than they would be somewhere else.
Brady and BB worked well together for awhile.
Patrick works good with reid, they make each other better..

Dallas lol Romo never had the right HC, and really Dak hasnt either.
MM is just a standard coach, not very innovative or clever. So that has to limit Dak in some ways.

Chasing6

Reaction score
WELL they would have to try and find a trade he would accept, if that fails, then he has to play.
If he refuses to play I think he would not get paid?

The one thing they could also do is play lance against carolina and see if he can beat them or some other not that good team.
Just to see how he does in real game.
Also could play him in red zone, on roll out and run or throw type play.
Similar to how NO used to use their bkup qb, which worked pretty good for them
There is zero chance of him getting traded.

blueblood70

Reaction score
yeah I have been saying for awhile coaches matter.....alot!
your point that the qb and team work together well, makes them both better than they would be somewhere else.
Brady and BB worked well together for awhile.
Patrick works good with reid, they make each other better..

Dallas lol Romo never had the right HC, and really Dak hasnt either.
MM is just a standard coach, not very innovative or clever. So that has to limit Dak in some ways.
Yes this is an instance where actually Garrett wasn't a bad coach Mike McCarthy is a step up but not by much but these are coaches that are heavily reliant on talent only the talent drives the scheme where you have guys like Bill Belichick and especially Andy Reed that once they find the right pieces they can elevate their scheme and they can create because they know they have the player to execute it so they're being held back in a way when they don't have the right pieces but they're still good... But our coaches schemes are very basic football which isn't bad I mean Mike McCarthy winning 36 games and two division titles and go into the playoffs three straight years there's nothing to sneeze at but I think the innovation has to come in big games when you're already out matched or evenly talented teams across from you with a coach that's gonna overthink you you gotta be able to adjust...

And last year the offense was the highest scoring offense in the league we were one of the best teams in the league on offense but the problem is when I saw wasn't the quarterback in the passing because CD lamb had a historical year there you go rely on talent... But the problem came with not utilizing the running backs properly so without the run game being effective most games it was just there I thought Kellen Moore was the issue I don't know Mike McCarthy might have been worse literally used all three running backs in the wrong situations I think they should have flipped it and I think that will make this season either better where it's gonna end much the same if they don't fix the way they rotate the running backs in and scheme the run game better..

For me that's what we've been lacking in in big games we do not have the offensive line and a Tony Dorset or an Emmitt Smith the help the quarterback in big games they literally we have no run game in the deep playoff run we're losing those games in the playoffs because we can't establish a balanced unpredictable offense they literally know if they could just slow our run game down and force the throws that it's gonna be a long day for the offense and that's what they know they can do teams literally can line up and stop the run pretty easily and play zone behind it where they can really mess up all the lanes and make it dirty back there so now your quarterback's gonna have a hard time finding guys truly open and then you have guys going off schedule and yes that interception in the Green Bay game Siri and broke his route off Prescott already threw the ball into a spot see lamb was trying to go off script and make a big play and he didn't go where he was supposed to Brandon cooks got pushed and grabbed but didn't make much of an effort it wasn't a clean break those interceptions I'm sorry it comes from because we don't have a balanced offense they're making it easy to cover our receivers in big games.....​
So yes this much is you wanna blame and talk about the quarterback and Mike McCarthy the passing game was better than people remember because it carried us through the season we don't win that Seattle game without it we had no defense no run game we literally needed Prescott to win most of those games but when it counts the big games you can't win without the run game being at least above average 2 dominant I mean all those teams who win with an average quarterback have a dominant run game and a dominant defense we have neither...​
They need to truly concentrate on fixing the run game.. And no we don't need the best running back in the league when's the last time that guy what's in a Super Bowl and help elevate his team to win the Super bowl there aren't many of your top five rushers in the league in a given season actually in the Super bowl we already know this is not the case but we need a running back by committee we need an effective run game in total all of them together using the right rotations and using the right guys for the right situation...​

morat1959

Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a good team than a great qb. Hell, Mahomes couldn't even do it without a good team around him.

Getting rid of a good QB, just to gamble your future trying to find the next Mahomes is a terrible bet. Especially when there's no potential players on the horizon to replace him....

People that think any and every qb is better than Dak dont live in reality.
Reality is knowing no team will ever win a SB with Dak under center.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Reality is knowing no team will ever win a SB with Dak under center.
Can give us a detailed list of potential qb's that we can draft/trade for? since thats what this thread is about. Or...

Since you know the future you should give us lottery numbers, have a psychic hotline or be the king of parlays.