Mike Iupati took some reps at LT

Bluestang

Reaction score
Saw the North Senior Bowl Practice today and he took some reps at LT. It wasn't good...scouting reports said he could play LT but when they should the pass rush drills with him as a LT it was brutal to watch...

As an OG the reps he had you could clearly see why he is the #1 OG.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Bluestang;3256479 said:
Saw the North Senior Bowl Practice today and he took some reps at LT. It wasn't good...scouting reports said he could play LT but when they should the pass rush drills with him as a LT it was brutal to watch...

As an OG the reps he had you could clearly see why he is the #1 OG.

Were they 1 on 1 pass drills?

Eskimo

Reaction score
That's too bad for everyone else.

If he was projected at LT he wouldn't drop to us.

If he is projected at guard, he might fall to us.

I actually envision him as a RT. He doesn't play low enough for Guard and I think he'll be much like Leonard Davis who can't root out guys in short yardage leading to a big pileup two yards behind the LOS which effectively kills the short yardage play.

I think he will be a project but hopefully ready to play by 2011.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Bad news if we want him. The more he shows he could possibly play left tackle, the higher he will go. If he looked rough that is to be expected. We'll have to see if they keep trying it. I'd prefer they leave him be.

Bluestang

Reaction score
CATCH17;3256484 said:
Were they 1 on 1 pass drills?

Yes. I know DL have the advantage on 1v1s but Iupati at LT got tossed at one point...

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Bluestang;3256494 said:
Yes. I know DL have the advantage on 1v1s but Iupati at LT got tossed at one point...

Looking like defensive holding to me.

Yea, hes no LT but those 1 on 1's are tough for OL w/ so much space

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Bluestang;3256494 said:

Yeah if he got tossed then thats on him but as a former OLinemen the DL do have a big advantage like you said.

I can imagine it feels even more strange for a guard who usually has someone to his inside and outside opposed to a tackle who is just used to having someone on his inside.

Woods

Reaction score
If the opinion is he can't play LT there is at least a chance he falls to us.

I think he could possibly RT and clearly OG.

Even if he's an OG, the interior of our OL would be improved.

We already know that Free can play RT, and he can play it well.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
he'd be a nice upgrade at LG when we're finally ready to move on from Kosiar. Which I have no issue with getting a guy in here who can either challenge him for the starting spot or be there, ready to go, when Kyle isn't able to.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;3256596 said:
he'd be a nice upgrade at LG when we're finally ready to move on from Kosiar. Which I have no issue with getting a guy in here who can either challenge him for the starting spot or be there, ready to go, when Kyle isn't able to.
We need a reserve guard regardless. I am not convinced about Brewster and we know about Mister Proctor. A versatile lineman will be a plus since we obviously are not actively looking to replace any of the starters.

Randy White

Reaction score
Eskimo;3256491 said:
That's too bad for everyone else. If he was projected at LT he wouldn't drop to us.

I actually envision him as a RT. He doesn't play low enough for Guard and I think he'll be much like Leonard Davis who can't root out guys in short yardage leading to a big pileup two yards behind the LOS which effectively kills the short yardage play. .

:huh:

You had it going on at the begining of your post and then all of the sudden you jumped off the highway..

If anything, those drills show exctly the opposite of what you're saying ( about the guard position ). He was eating up those DL's, as a guard, like if they were cheesburgers and he hadn't eaten in a month. His technique was flawless. Wether burying the DL from Penn St that everybody was raving about, or the guy from NC, who he simply planted on the turf like if he was growing some corn or something.

THANK goodness he flopped as a tackle, ( for a superstrong guy, he just doesn't have the same strength in the open space as he does in closed quarters ) or otherwise we'd be talking about a top 15 pick, possibly top 10.

This guy could VERY easily be the next Larry Allen as a guard, and no, I'm not exaggerating when I say that.

Randy White

Reaction score
Alexander;3256605 said:
We need a reserve guard regardless. I am not convinced about Brewster .

He hasn't shown anything, either way. IF anything, we need to learn the lessons that Doug Free and Miles Austin taught us about judging back up players who haven't had the chance to showcase their talents.

I don't even trust the Cowboys coaches, anymore, on this subject. Especially Hudson Houck. He's a good O-line coach, but his reputation for developing talent is not nearly as good as his reputation for coaching it.

The Realist

Reaction score
Randy White;3256749 said:
He hasn't shown anything, either way. IF anything, we need to learn the lessons that Doug Free and Miles Austin taught us about judging back up players who haven't had the chance to showcase their talents.

I don't even trust the Cowboys coaches, anymore, on this subject. Especially Hudson Houck. He's a good O-line coach, but his reputation for developing talent is not nearly as good as his reputation for coaching it.

Amen to the first paragraph.

Do you like the way Doug Free has developed over the last couple years?

Woods

Reaction score
Randy White;3256739 said:
:huh:

You had it going on at the begining of your post and then all of the sudden you jumped off the highway..

If anything, those drills show exctly the opposite of what you're saying ( about the guard position ). He was eating up those DL's, as a guard, like if they were cheesburgers and he hadn't eaten in a month. His technique was flawless. Wether burying the DL from Penn St that everybody was raving about, or the guy from NC, who he simply planted on the turf like if he was growing some corn or something.

THANK goodness he flopped as a tackle, ( for a superstrong guy, he just doesn't have the same strength in the open space as he does in closed quarters ) or otherwise we'd be talking about a top 15 pick, possibly top 10.

This guy could VERY easily be the next Larry Allen as a guard, and no, I'm not exaggerating when I say that.

I wonder how much it would cost to go from 27 to around 20, though I don't know if the Cowboys would for an OG?

Possibly a 2nd rounder I'd guess. But that's a lot to give for an OG.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
Woods;3256760 said:
I wonder how much it would cost to go from 27 to around 20, though I don't know if the Cowboys would for an OG?

Possibly a 2nd rounder I'd guess. But that's a lot to give for an OG.
Probably more than that.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eskimo;3256491 said:
That's too bad for everyone else.

If he was projected at LT he wouldn't drop to us.

I actually envision him as a RT. He doesn't play low enough for Guard and I think he'll be much like Leonard Davis who can't root out guys in short yardage leading to a big pileup two yards behind the LOS which effectively kills the short yardage play.

I think he will be a project but hopefully ready to play by 2011.

I agree.

I hope he sucks at LT drills. :)

Bluestang

Reaction score
We should all be glad that he flopped at LT today. The only reason he would have been a early 1st round was if he could prove that he had the technique to play LT. Today showed that he has no idea how to do it. I'm sure there is a team willing to coach to Iupati to play OT but an early round pick on a guy that will require at least a full year learning the position and technique is huge gamble for someone to waste an early 1st round pick.

If we can snag him then he will at least have a chance to challenge the LG position in TC and beat out Proctor or Holland. I think Kosier is a good OG but he wore down the stretch.