Mike Iupati took some reps at LT

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Iupati is a great pick. He could serve as backup RT and both OG positions. Although i think he starts at OG day 1 here. Kosier becomes backup.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I am actually not in favor of taking a Guard with a 1st round pick. I would rather take a LT prospect if at all possible. Best player of need available is probably the best way to go.

The Realist

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3257559 said:
I am actually hot in favor of taking a Guard with a 1st round pick. I would rather take a LT prospect if at all possible. Best player of need available is probably the best way to go.

The Cowboys have done a great job of grooming young/cheap talent.

Don't draft progress stoppers when you think you have a young, talented guy who can be groomed into the position.

They didn't do it with Romo, Austin, Rat.

Why do it with Free.

And we've gotten a lot better sneak preview with Free in live game action than we did with the others.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The Realist;3257571 said:
The Cowboys have done a great job of grooming young/cheap talent.

Don't draft progress stoppers when you think you have a young, talented guy who can be groomed into the position.

They didn't do it with Romo, Austin, Rat.

Why do it with Free.

And we've gotten a lot better sneak preview with Free in live game action than we did with the others.

I think you can find good guards in later rounds. The way I look at it, if you draft a LT prospect in the 1st, then if the T doesn't work out, he can usually transition to Guard. Financially, it also makes more sense IMO. I just don't think it's the best possible use of the pick to take a Guard in the 1st round unless he is a once in a generation type prospect. I would rather see us invest in a Tackle or even a Center if we are going to use a 1st on an OL. JMO.

The Realist

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3257580 said:
I think you can find good guards in later rounds. The way I look at it, if you draft a LT prospect in the 1st, then if the T doesn't work out, he can usually transition to Guard. Financially, it also makes more sense IMO. I just don't think it's the best possible use of the pick to take a Guard in the 1st round unless he is a once in a generation type prospect. I would rather see us invest in a Tackle or even a Center if we are going to use a 1st on an OL. JMO.

Overall I hate the idea of drafting any OL in one unless it's Pace/Ogden at the top.

Throw financial sense out the window at Guard because Davis got the biggest signing bonus in the history of the Cowboys (at that time assuming Ware got more). Bottom of 1 money is nothing compared to free agency and the top of the draft. If you can pay a nickel LB and a part-time RB 1st round money you can pay a starting guard a money.

Define once a generation guard? Hutch? Faneca? Larry?

When's the last time you saw a first round guard who went 6-6/330 with 35 inch arms?

When's the last time you saw a guard get this much hype?

Again, I hate taking OL in one, but on a team with few holes he could sit behind Kosier for a year and learn. Or you could just throw him to the wolves day one.

And I agree you can find good guards later, but not ones that go 6-6/330.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I love this guys run blocking. He pulls quickly, he pops his guy and pushes him back or at worst turns him and shields the RB. His run blocking is a 10 imo.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The Realist;3257625 said:
Overall I hate the idea of drafting any OL in one unless it's Pace/Ogden at the top.

Throw financial sense out the window at Guard because Davis got the biggest signing bonus in the history of the Cowboys (at that time assuming Ware got more). Bottom of 1 money is nothing compared to free agency and the top of the draft. If you can pay a nickel LB and a part-time RB 1st round money you can pay a starting guard a money.

Define once a generation guard? Hutch? Faneca? Larry?

When's the last time you saw a first round guard who went 6-6/330 with 35 inch arms?

When's the last time you saw a guard get this much hype?

Again, I hate taking OL in one, but on a team with few holes he could sit behind Kosier for a year and learn. Or you could just throw him to the wolves day one.

And I agree you can find good guards later, but not ones that go 6-6/330.

I don't think you compound the problem by continuing to over spend. If you look at why we had to pay Davis what we did to play guard, that pretty much tells you what the problem is IMO.

6-6 330 guards are not the norm because 6-6 is usually too big to play guard. Unless he plays with an unusual amount of leverage and a very low pad level, which I have not herd to be the case, that probably doesn't work in his favor but it may not be a problem if his is capable of using leverage and pad level to his advantage.

If he grades out as a top prospect at the Guard position, for example, a grade that says he's one of the very best prospects in 10 years, then OK. That is what I mean by once in a generation Guard. This prospect, IMO, is not that.

Larry Allen was not a 1st round pick. Nate was not a 1st round pick. There are a lot of great players at Guard who were not 1st round picks and often times, guys who play Guard in the NFL were Tackles in College, not Guards. I just don't think it's wise.

Randy White

Reaction score
The Realist;3256754 said:
Amen to the first paragraph.

Do you like the way Doug Free has developed over the last couple years?

He proved me wrong, that's for sure. Right up until this past pre-season, I wasn't seeing anything that led me to believe he was remotely half as good as he turned out to be.

Although I knew Miles deserved a chance, and was against trading him, I didn't know he was going to turn out to be this good either. I thought he was going to be another Terry Glenn type, and he might end up being that way, but right now he's clearly the best receiver the Cowboys have.

The Realist

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3257695 said:
I don't think you compound the problem by continuing to over spend. If you look at why we had to pay Davis what we did to play guard, that pretty much tells you what the problem is IMO.

6-6 330 guards are not the norm because 6-6 is usually too big to play guard. Unless he plays with an unusual amount of leverage and a very low pad level, which I have not herd to be the case, that probably doesn't work in his favor but it may not be a problem if his is capable of using leverage and pad level to his advantage.

If he grades out as a top prospect at the Guard position, for example, a grade that says he's one of the very best prospects in 10 years, then OK. That is what I mean by once in a generation Guard. This prospect, IMO, is not that.

Larry Allen was not a 1st round pick. Nate was not a 1st round pick. There are a lot of great players at Guard who were not 1st round picks and often times, guys who play Guard in the NFL were Tackles in College, not Guards. I just don't think it's wise.

Bottom of 1 money is chump change in terms of NFL money.

It isn't overspending by a long shot.

If that's the case you should have an issue with our nickel LB, backup RB and Spencer who took 3 years to see a full time role.

Randy White

Reaction score
Woods;3256760 said:
I wonder how much it would cost to go from 27 to around 20, though I don't know if the Cowboys would for an OG?

Possibly a 2nd rounder I'd guess. But that's a lot to give for an OG.

It depends on the team who's picking at the pick you want ( their needs, etc ), the players that are available, and how the draft is going.

It only took the Cowboys a 3rd and a 5th to move up from the 4th pick in the 2nd round to the 26th pick in the 1st round to draft Spencer. The circumstances fell into place. Spencer dropped, the Beagles didn't need a DE and didn't think there was anybody else worth drafting with that pick, the Cowboys had an extra 3rd round pick and an extra 5th round pick from previous trades, so they pulled the trigger.

This is a deep, deep draft, contrary to what some were arguing against a couple of weeks ago. There are plenty of DEs, OTs, OLBs, and at least 2 QBs that are projected to go in the 1st and round, so unless a team is targeting a specific player, there should be enough of talent for just about everyone in the 1st round. THat would usually suggest that there COULD be plenty of movement for teams whot target specific players ( some don't ) and the price wouldn't be too high since the team dropping could probably still get the player it wants, only at a latter pick which means less money to pay him and extra draft picks.

As of right now, moving up to #20 from #27, shouldn't cost more than a 3rd round pick for the Cowboys, which is a late 3rd rounder.

{PLEASE don't bother reminding me about the so called " value chart " fad that became semi-popular with draftnicks. There have been 2 consecutive drafts where the so called " value chart " theory was thrown out the window.}

But who knows how the draft is going to turn out in April. There's still plenty of time for players to fall, players to rise, and for teams to address some of their weaknesses through the FA market, which hasn't started yet.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The Realist;3257769 said:
Bottom of 1 money is chump change in terms of NFL money.

It isn't overspending by a long shot.

If that's the case you should have an issue with our nickel LB, backup RB and Spencer who took 3 years to see a full time role.

I do have issues with all of those things. I don't know how you can say that it's chump change but I suppose you are entitled to your opinion.

Our nickel LB has been a serious waste of money IMO, to this point. At least with a backup RB, he sees time on a game to game basis. In the OL, that's not the case. The OL unit stays together and you don't sub unless you have injury. To me, the positions are not the same but yes, I have issue with all the things you mentioned.

The Realist

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3257806 said:
I do have issues with all of those things. I don't know how you can say that it's chump change but I suppose you are entitled to your opinion.

Our nickel LB has been a serious waste of money IMO, to this point. At least with a backup RB, he sees time on a game to game basis. In the OL, that's not the case. The OL unit stays together and you don't sub unless you have injury. To me, the positions are not the same but yes, I have issue with all the things you mentioned.

And being 6-5 1/4 is a huge, huge issue as well.

Bigger, better, younger, much, much cheaper.

We shouldn't be wasting our time with this guy.