Mike McCarthy explains ‘big-picture’ decision to release LB Jaylon Smith

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I think people missed this sentence in the OP.

"The leverage given to defensive coordinator Dan Quinn in his first season was also a component in pulling the trigger."

Break this down.

1. Frees up money next season and beyond.
2. Gives Quinn more wiggle room to find and groom players that fit HIS - read Quinn and coaches - new schemes
3. Empowers Quinn in the eyes of the players. Not just his authority, but his ability to weed out the people who can't pack the gear.
4. The ancillary message is McCarthy was not only in favor of this, but directly involved in this decision, an action to cut a vested player. The move elevated McCarthy past the puppet Garrett was in the eyes of the team.
5. In the film room, when players see weak teammates out of position constantly, that will not be tolerated. Now, no player is safe - save for Zeke, and Dak. The players see the best will play, and the others will go away.

This is a healthy move because players see there are no pet cats in the eyes of coaches and management. And Mr. I'm the GM.

And perhaps the most important...

6. We (The Cowbioys) tolerated Zeke using his leverage sitting out because - as this season proves - he is a stud, and one of the few players who are the eye of the storm for Dallas. But for you other guys who are riding a big paycheck and not living up to it. Playing your leverage card - getting surgery to guarantee fully funding a seasonal pay check - and not delivering, will get you sent to the cornfield.

This move shows a mature thinking from management. Something moving away from the Jerry Jones favorites being treated differently. This has McCarthy's fingerprints all over it.

This has the aura of Jimmy Johnson!

As a side note saw a discussion by some talking heads, maybe radio guys in Dallas in a video, that stated Moore and Quinn aren't going anywhere after this season.

Quinn has made the comment he does not want to be a head coach. He loves being the defensive coordinator. Moore is the heir apparent, and Jerry will name him assistant head coach, chief cook and bottle washer, and Godfather of his grandchildren to keep him here.

These money moves, along with the elevated cap, and restructuring of contracts to come, means this is a multi-year plan. For Moore, if he stays - and i think that is not an if at all - he has two years to produce the championship. Deliver a Lombardi and his asking price for head coach goes up because the rest of the league will surely be offering him a King's ransom.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So the silly guarantee the agent probably demanded and smith wanted, is what got him fired.

Dan Quinn arrives we get good FA instead of the usual crap, they draft parsons, although the other picks not doing much yet.
But due to dan making the lb position stronger, they are able to fire jaylon.

This also sends a message, that if you dont live up to your contract, you could wind up like jaylon.

so give quinn at least some of the credit for a much improved defense and use of players, and being able to unload Jaylon.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I agree it is surprising, but only because we are used to the Cowboys never being smart like this.

This is no longer Garretts cowboys. We have REAL football people with powerful voices telling jerry what to do.

But as far as Jaylon, this move should have been done last year.
I agree on all.

streetcredit

Reaction score
big picture on Jerry's jumbotron showed a guy running in the wrong direction on most plays

CowboyMort

Reaction score
So Quinn was a factor too.

What was all that improved stride extension talk?

0.jpg

The improved stride talk was just so he could step out of the door quicker I guess. ;)

GuitarBytes

Reaction score
this it's the reason, the cowboys need to make space to the cap for next year, they are around 20M over the cap, and will have a lot of free agents, and they need to give more time to the others LB's,
cut post june 1
Dead Money & Cap Savings
2021 $9,800,000 $0
2022 $2,600,000 $9,200,000
2023 $2,600,000 $11,000,000
2024 $1,600,000 $11,000,000
2025 $0 $12,350,000

personally I liked Jaylon, because he was striving to reach a good level, since the injury he suffered, not just anything, he was not their fault, it is for this reason that I do not agree with the detractors of Jaylon, he was working hard, but the contract they gave him was high and unfortunately businesses are unforgiving and that injury marked him and he couldn't be the same. good luck to Mr. Jaylon.

GuitarBytes

Reaction score
and I think the next will be Demarcus Lawrence
with this 2 movements the cowboys resolve the cap issue next year a free up a lot of money next years, 2022 28M 2023 32M that a lot of money, so say good bye to DLaw...

Dead Money & Cap Savings
2021 $25,000,000 $0
2022 $8,000,000 $19,000,000
2023 $8,000,000 $21,000,000
2024 $3,000,000 $0

Reactions: BAT

khiladi

Reaction score
But If they really wanted to release him in March could they not have worked out an injury settlement? Honestly, I'm not sure they wanted to release him at that time. As you know, generally you don't release a starter w/o a replacement. Hell, if you remember, they've even admitted Parson or LBer was not their first choice with the first-round pick but once he was drafted, Jaylon was doom.

Because of the injury, he was guaranteed his salary. It appears Dallas was looking to trade him, but got no offers. They even were looking to pay a portion of the salary to the team that would take him, meaning save some money. I’m suspecting that, since they already started limiting his reps, they were trying to showcase his play. Since there were no takers, they just cut ties, the biggest reason they couldn’t afford another injury which would guarantee him next season’s salary as well.

JustChip

Reaction score
About right, but Jerry wanted to validate his feel good story with Smith, and he is an awful GM overall.

Making himself the GM makes him an awful owner. Being Bob Kraft isn't enough for him. Everyone knows who Kraft is, but Jerry wants his "credit" to somehow prove to the world that the 90s weren't all about Jimmy Johnson.
And every year that passes just further validates the success was almost exclusively due to Jimmy. At this point, even winning a Super Bowl won’t change that narrative. That’s what 25 years of lack of results and mis-management does. It’ll take a lifetime of atta-boys to make up for 25 years of “oh, sh*#%s.”

jrumann59

Reaction score
For any of us fans that are as tuned in as us on this site it should be no surprise that he was cut. It’s more of a surprise he’s on the team.
Most would only be surprised because they were on the hook since he had wrist surgery in January and could not pass a physical in March. So they were stuck with him more or less and his play and also unwillingness to give up the injury guaratee for next year is why he is gone.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm liking Coach MM more & more. What a great move!
Let’s see how everyone likes him when we get to the playoffs. See if he makes a mistake then , that Costs the Cowboys there season . That’s what scares me about Mike when is he going to make that mistake

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
and I think the next will be Demarcus Lawrence
with this 2 movements the cowboys resolve the cap issue next year a free up a lot of money next years, 2022 28M 2023 32M that a lot of money, so say good bye to DLaw...

Dead Money & Cap Savings
2021 $25,000,000 $0
2022 $8,000,000 $19,000,000
2023 $8,000,000 $21,000,000
2024 $3,000,000 $0

I'm a big Tank Lawrence fan, but wow that is a lot of money that could come off the books which could be utilized to shore up the roster in other places (CB, interior DL, etc) that need more help. Unless he really gets going in the pass rush department this year I think Jerry should strongly consider this move.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
You hate La'el.

I wouldn’t say hate. Definitely don’t like. It began last year when he quit on the team and was acting weird with the supposed accident and whatever with the supposed surgery on the hip. Throw in the 5-game suspension for drugs and bribery and I want nothing to do with him.

I would much rather watch Steele who does everything right on and off the field.