Mike McCarthy explains ‘big-picture’ decision to release LB Jaylon Smith

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I will bet you money Mike Nolan approves of cutting Jaylon. And probably LVE too.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jalen could no longer hide he got exposed once we drafted two good linebackers who could play at his level or more he became extremely expendable. I think the powers that be realized we needed his roster spot more than we needed him because he does nothing at a level that two or three other linebackers can't do on this current team. I'm just glad that they are willing to take the savings now cut bait and run and move on forward.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
A good decision by McCarthy, one that I'm quite impressed with. Gives me genuine hope that the culture is indeed changing. JJ loved Jaylon, but he's simply not that good (can't shed blocks, poor awareness, etc.)

Love his energy, but his production just wasn't there. So glad the Organization didn't let this hang over the team all year.

Nice job, McCarthy, you made a tough decision, but one that was definitely needed.
:clap:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jalen could no longer hide he got exposed once we drafted two good linebackers who could play at his level or more he became extremely expendable. I think the powers that be realized we needed his roster spot more than we needed him because he does nothing at a level that two or three other linebackers can't do on this current team. I'm just glad that they are willing to take the savings now cut bait and run and move on forward.
Well that and his salary..if he made minimum salary I bet he would be here but at that salary one it will save money this year if somebody picks him.up and two we hedge your bets against his 9.2 M salary guarante.

This was a no brainer

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well that and his salary..if he made minimum salary I bet he would be here but at that salary one it will save money this year if somebody picks him.up and two we hedge your bets against his 9.2 M salary guarante.

This was a no brainer

Maybe. If all things were equal except skill the current coaching staff probably would prefer guys with upside

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
I think people missed this sentence in the OP.

"The leverage given to defensive coordinator Dan Quinn in his first season was also a component in pulling the trigger."

Break this down.

1. Frees up money next season and beyond.
2. Gives Quinn more wiggle room to find and groom players that fit HIS - read Quinn and coaches - new schemes
3. Empowers Quinn in the eyes of the players. Not just his authority, but his ability to weed out the people who can't pack the gear.
4. The ancillary message is McCarthy was not only in favor of this, but directly involved in this decision, an action to cut a vested player. The move elevated McCarthy past the puppet Garrett was in the eyes of the team.
5. In the film room, when players see weak teammates out of position constantly, that will not be tolerated. Now, no player is safe - save for Zeke, and Dak. The players see the best will play, and the others will go away.

This is a healthy move because players see there are no pet cats in the eyes of coaches and management. And Mr. I'm the GM.

And perhaps the most important...

6. We (The Cowbioys) tolerated Zeke using his leverage sitting out because - as this season proves - he is a stud, and one of the few players who are the eye of the storm for Dallas. But for you other guys who are riding a big paycheck and not living up to it. Playing your leverage card - getting surgery to guarantee fully funding a seasonal pay check - and not delivering, will get you sent to the cornfield.

This move shows a mature thinking from management. Something moving away from the Jerry Jones favorites being treated differently. This has McCarthy's fingerprints all over it.

This has the aura of Jimmy Johnson!

As a side note saw a discussion by some talking heads, maybe radio guys in Dallas in a video, that stated Moore and Quinn aren't going anywhere after this season.

Quinn has made the comment he does not want to be a head coach. He loves being the defensive coordinator. Moore is the heir apparent, and Jerry will name him assistant head coach, chief cook and bottle washer, and Godfather of his grandchildren to keep him here.

These money moves, along with the elevated cap, and restructuring of contracts to come, means this is a multi-year plan. For Moore, if he stays - and i think that is not an if at all - he has two years to produce the championship. Deliver a Lombardi and his asking price for head coach goes up because the rest of the league will surely be offering him a King's ransom.
The best summation I've read on the whole situation. Well done.