CFZ Mike McCarthy has done this before

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the most underrated aspects of Big Mac as a head coach is his ability to get his teams to play at a high level despite injuries or having to win playoff games on the road.

Count me as one of the fans who thought on opening night we were screwed when we played so bad against Tampa, lost our starting QB for weeks, and after losing our All Pro LT for almost the whole season. What Mike McCarthy has done so far in managing those injuries as well as having a rookie LT play very well has been remarkable.

Contrast all this against Jason Garrett, who couldn’t even manage losing a single starter on the OL.

McCarthy still needs to win multiple playoff games this season to make this story complete. But he has done this before. His 2010 packers team won a Lombardi by overcoming a ton of adversity.
  • The 2010 packers placed a whopping 15 players on injured reserve during that season, including 9 players who started at least one game. They had the most starters injured that year and still won the SB!
  • That 2010 packers team became the first 6th seed from the NFC to win a Super Bowl.
  • They also became the first NFC team to win the SB by winning 3 straight road playoff games.
I’m not counting any chickens here before they’ve hatched. This team still has a lot in front of it. This team NEEDS to win multiple playoff games to be better than any of the pretenders we’ve seen around here for far too long. This team will probably have to win a bunch of road playoff games. (We haven’t won a road playoff game since 1992!)

But here’s the hope we should have- Mike McCarthy has done this before.

75boyz

Reaction score
One of the most underrated aspects of Big Mac as a head coach is his ability to get his teams to play at a high level despite injuries or having to win playoff games on the road.

Count me as one of the fans who thought on opening night we were screwed when we played so bad against Tampa, lost our starting QB for weeks, and after losing our All Pro LT for almost the whole season. What Mike McCarthy has done so far in managing those injuries as well as having a rookie LT play very well has been remarkable.

Contrast all this against Jason Garrett, who couldn’t even manage losing a single starter on the OL.

McCarthy still needs to win multiple playoff games this season to make this story complete. But he has done this before. His 2010 packers team won a Lombardi by overcoming a ton of adversity.
  • The 2010 packers placed a whopping 15 players on injured reserve during that season, including 9 players who started at least one game. They had the most starters injured that year and still won the SB!
  • That 2010 packers team became the first 6th seed from the NFC to win a Super Bowl.
  • They also became the first NFC team to win the SB by winning 3 straight road playoff games.
I’m not counting any chickens here before they’ve hatched. This team still has a lot in front of it. This team NEEDS to win multiple playoff games to be better than any of the pretenders we’ve seen around here for far too long. This team will probably have to win a bunch of road playoff games. (We haven’t won a road playoff game since 1992!)

As a #5 seed that 2007 Giants team went to TB, Dallas and GB and won.

Last edited:

cowboyec

Reaction score
history might be repeating.
the season before his team in green bay won the super bowl....they won 12 games...their division....but lost their first playoff game.
the next season....they won it all.
last year we won 12...the division title....and then lost our first playoff game.
hopefully....the flip side has the same results as in 2010.

75boyz

Reaction score
I had actually referenced this info in my posts to several of the 2020 zoners blaming that season all on injuries.
Another good reference point team for overcoming injuries is Zimmer's 2017 Case Keenum Vikes led squad that made it to the NFCCG after having lost QB1,QB2, RB1 and replacing their entire OL from the year prior.

Injuries can be overcome.

It takes alot of good fortune to come your way.

Aven8

Reaction score
Great post Bob. Mike never gets credit around here much but he’s a damn good coach. I just have this feeling that this is the year. Will we win the whole thing? Maybe not. But we might at least get there. It’s NFC title game or bust as far as I’m concerned.

ESisback

Reaction score

But…but…but doesn’t the overall narrative say he’s just a fat puppet, a clueless clown who does nothing but screw up clock management, allow penalties and eat all the doughnuts?

Thanks, sir! The voice of reason strikes again!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I understand why you say that. But I would say we’re as good as the whole team plays. Other than Parsons, this team is not completely dependent on anyone.

Without Pollard we wouldn’t be the same team offensively.

We’ve got a guy right now that can change a game with the most conservative of playcalls to get him the ball.

blueblood70

Reaction score

right and i saw threads on how hes on the hot seat LMAO calling for Peyton..ughh:facepalm:

if you go back to the last 4 games of 2020 with nothing to play for, they went 3-1 , then 12-5 last year, and now sitting at 9-3 Id say that nice record given the adversity since he arrived. so a 24-9 RS record in that time frame.

Id say hes building something here..sure , the playoffs matter and hope we get a win or 2 in the dance, but the record speaks for itself. fans already digging his grave,,smh

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
They also had Aaron Rodgers playing unreal football.

We are as good as Pollard and Parsons can take us.
And Pollard is going to block for himself?

And Parsons will dominate while being double teamed all game?

Those 2 definitely need to step up, but so does our O line, D line, Dak, our LBers, etc etc. etc.

We are as good as our TEAM plays and coaches coach.
Our TEAM is getting better! Our COACHES are getting better! We are getting healthier!

I’m gaining confidence in this TEAM.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Without Pollard we wouldn’t be the same team offensively.

We’ve got a guy right now that can change a game with the most conservative of playcalls to get him the ball.
Disagree,
not as many big plays but Zeke and Mailk davis could easily keep this run game going. CD been on tear the last month, Gallups getting better Tyrone and Washington coming back, so NO if we lost pollard it would not derail this offense. they can call plays to make up the hole we lose. you are losing sight on how well that OL has been playing, Daks abilty to score more point in the air then say when rush was qb,
this has been year where we are not dependent on few layers, team ball in all 3 phases with many interchangeable players.. even parsons' going down wouldn't just stop this defense from being good, been team effort, yes he would by far be our biggest loss but in no way would we just fall off cliff.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And Pollard is going to block for himself?

And Parsons will dominate while being double teamed all game?

Those 2 definitely need to step up, but so does our O line, D line, Dak, our LBers, etc etc. etc.

We are as good as our TEAM plays and coaches coach.
Our TEAM is getting better! Our COACHES are getting better! We are getting healthier!

I’m gaining confidence in this TEAM.
agree, the confidence, work ethic, and accountability has now trickled down throughout the team because of those players but its here and not going away,

Praxit

Reaction score
...well, for what its worth. Lets hope 22' changes all that.

I mean, at some point things will go in other direction.

hoping its, this year.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Cause for hope !
Much appreciated!