CFZ Mike McCarthy has done this before

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Without Pollard we wouldn’t be the same team offensively.

We’ve got a guy right now that can change a game with the most conservative of playcalls to get him the ball.
We do have a great weapon in Pollard. But what I’m saying is this team is not dependent on Tony Pollard having a great game to win. Which is a good thing. Again, I love Pollard and I’m thrilled we have his talent- he’s the best offensive weapon we have. But this is a good TEAM, not a star driven team.

Cmac

Reaction score
Is big Mike getting love now?........time to wreck the playbook.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Best Cowboy team in sometime. Here is our best chance of getting to and winning a Super Bowl. t's all going to come down to in order: Dak,the defense. And our coaching staff. Failure of any aspect will mean failure for our season.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
But…but…but doesn’t the overall narrative say he’s just a fat puppet, a clueless clown who does nothing but screw up clock management, allow penalties and eat all the doughnuts?

Thanks, sir! The voice of reason strikes again!
The fat jokes are so cringe from some posters. Apparently they're still 12 years old.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team will go far as the OL & running game not what Dak or Micah can ultimately do.
This team will go as far as the entire team does. Other than Micah, this team is not dependent upon any one player. Yes Dak needs to play well but it doesn’t mean it all rides on his shoulders.

Case in point- even Tom Brady in his last SB run with the Bucs- everyone thinks the Bucs won just because of Brady. Sure he was good in the SB game but in the NFC championship game that year, he was awful. He threw 3 picks and was rescued by his defense.

Teams win SBs. Yes you have to have good QB play. But even The GOAT has bad games. Aaron Rodgers has only won one SB because of the team around him. Teams win SBs.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I understand why you say that. But I would say we’re as good as the whole team plays. Other than Parsons, this team is not completely dependent on anyone.
Minus Dak,Bobhaze. I think he's the one constant that how he goes the team goes. Defense plays bad ,Dak and the offense still can get us 40. Defense holds the opponent to 17. bad day for Dak we could still lose.

ESisback

Reaction score
This team will go as far as the entire team does. Other than Micah, this team is not dependent upon any one player. Yes Dak needs to play well but it doesn’t mean it all rides on his shoulders.

Case in point- even Tom Brady in his last SB run with the Bucs- everyone thinks the Bucs won just because of Brady. Sure he was good in the SB game but in the NFC championship game that year, he was awful. He threw 3 picks and was rescued by his defense.

Teams win SBs. Yes you have to have good QB play. But even The GOAT has bad games. Aaron Rodgers has only won one SB because of the team around him. Teams win SBs.
Exactly! Most QBs on SB teams were NOT worldbeaters…
Dilfer
Flacco
Johnson
E.Manning
Hostetler
McMahon
Foles
Plunkett
Rypien
Williams
Etc., etc., etc.

plymkr

Reaction score
But…but…but doesn’t the overall narrative say he’s just a fat puppet, a clueless clown who does nothing but screw up clock management, allow penalties and eat all the doughnuts?

Thanks, sir! The voice of reason strikes again!
I used to think he was a fat puppet until he benched Zeke for a possession or two. Jerry said something to the effect that he didn't think what Zeke did was a big deal. That did more for me than any wins or losses. Big Mike benched one of Jerry's pet cats. That's monumental for us.

ESisback

Reaction score
I used to think he was a fat puppet until he benched Zeke for a possession or two. Jerry said something to the effect that he didn't think what Zeke did was a big deal. That did more for me than any wins or losses. Big Mike benched one of Jerry's pet cats. That's monumental for us.

Yep! Stuff like that, coupled with a playoff win or two, will gain Jerry’s respect, and save his job.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep! Stuff like that, coupled with a playoff win or two, will gain Jerry’s respect, and save his job.
The best thing Mike McCarthy can do is win a bunch of playoff games making whatever Jerry says or does even more irrelevant.

Verdict

Reaction score
One of the most underrated aspects of Big Mac as a head coach is his ability to get his teams to play at a high level despite injuries or having to win playoff games on the road.

Count me as one of the fans who thought on opening night we were screwed when we played so bad against Tampa, lost our starting QB for weeks, and after losing our All Pro LT for almost the whole season. What Mike McCarthy has done so far in managing those injuries as well as having a rookie LT play very well has been remarkable.

Contrast all this against Jason Garrett, who couldn’t even manage losing a single starter on the OL.

McCarthy still needs to win multiple playoff games this season to make this story complete. But he has done this before. His 2010 packers team won a Lombardi by overcoming a ton of adversity.
  • The 2010 packers placed a whopping 15 players on injured reserve during that season, including 9 players who started at least one game. They had the most starters injured that year and still won the SB!
  • That 2010 packers team became the first 6th seed from the NFC to win a Super Bowl.
  • They also became the first NFC team to win the SB by winning 3 straight road playoff games.
I’m not counting any chickens here before they’ve hatched. This team still has a lot in front of it. This team NEEDS to win multiple playoff games to be better than any of the pretenders we’ve seen around here for far too long. This team will probably have to win a bunch of road playoff games. (We haven’t won a road playoff game since 1992!)

But here’s the hope we should have- Mike McCarthy has done this before.
I think MM has really hit his stride this year. Best coaching we have had in Dallas since the SB years.

plasticman

Reaction score
One of the most underrated aspects of Big Mac as a head coach is his ability to get his teams to play at a high level despite injuries or having to win playoff games on the road.

Count me as one of the fans who thought on opening night we were screwed when we played so bad against Tampa, lost our starting QB for weeks, and after losing our All Pro LT for almost the whole season. What Mike McCarthy has done so far in managing those injuries as well as having a rookie LT play very well has been remarkable.

Contrast all this against Jason Garrett, who couldn’t even manage losing a single starter on the OL.

McCarthy still needs to win multiple playoff games this season to make this story complete. But he has done this before. His 2010 packers team won a Lombardi by overcoming a ton of adversity.
  • The 2010 packers placed a whopping 15 players on injured reserve during that season, including 9 players who started at least one game. They had the most starters injured that year and still won the SB!
  • That 2010 packers team became the first 6th seed from the NFC to win a Super Bowl.
  • They also became the first NFC team to win the SB by winning 3 straight road playoff games.
I’m not counting any chickens here before they’ve hatched. This team still has a lot in front of it. This team NEEDS to win multiple playoff games to be better than any of the pretenders we’ve seen around here for far too long. This team will probably have to win a bunch of road playoff games. (We haven’t won a road playoff game since 1992!)

But here’s the hope we should have- Mike McCarthy has done this before.

Mike McCarthy was the last coach to have a team that scored back to back 50+ points in games. Something to think about going into tomorrow.

ghst187

Reaction score
No doubt mike is 10x better than JG…but that isn’t really saying much. I think Mike is decent, I think he’s generally terrible at game and clock management. He’s def no Bellicheat but he might be good enough but will have to see.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I believe his GB team had several injuries when they beat us in the playoffs in '14/'16.
Good thing they had very good backups to save them. Too bad those backups wore stripes shirts, pin striped caps, black pants and carried a whistle and a yellow flag. o_O