CFZ Mike McCarthy has done this before

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
We were terrible. McCarthy of course deserves as much criticism as anyone. The team stunk it up that day. I’m just saying he’s done this road playoff win thing before. I don’t know if we win a single game in the playoffs. But I do have some hope.
If this team does not go deep into the playoffs, it won't be because of Mike. He has done a tremendous job since day one. A few hiccups? Sure but no one is perfect.

offlimits

Reaction score
It’s a good habit to have in the NFL- being prepared for injuries.

This time of the year every team has loads of injuries or players playing with injuries. Need to keep the QB upright.

T-RO

Reaction score
Been waiting 10 years for someone to tell me -- without vague platitude nonsense -- what head coaches in Dallas actually do.

-Don't design offensive or defensive schemes. Don't work directly with special teams.
-Don't call plays
-Usually don't sit in position-group meetings
-Aren't involved in specific player instruction
-Neither MM nor Garrett seem capable to give a big speech...inspire a flea... nor have I ever heard players sincerely talk about how transformational either have been to football or life.
-Have little control of personnel
-Don't call the shots when Jerry has a different idea

It's guppy level narrative, but will never stop. Head coaches get lots of credit or blame in Dallas, while doing virtually nothing to deserve either.

Last edited:

Blackrain

Reaction score
I think Mike has done a pretty good job this year dealing with all the adversity that we have had to overcome.
This would be a seven and 10 team with Garrett at the helm.
That said we're going to need his best work coming up fortunately he's a cold weather coach and should be able to prepare a team to play in cold weather as all things point to having to go through Philadelphia.

Not only will it be cold weather but it'll be a hostile environment and a team and fanbase that hates the Cowboys like no other along with the fact that their front office has gone above and beyond to add pieces and prepare their team to try and beat us.

Mike and everyone else will have their work cut out for them but he inspires much more confidence than anything we've had in a long time

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Been waiting 10 years for someone to tell me -- without vague platitude nonsense -- what head coaches in Dallas actually do.

-Don't design offensive or defensive schemes. Don't work directly with special teams.
-Don't call plays
-Usually don't sit in position-group meetings
-Aren't involved in specific player instruction
-Neither MM nor Garrett seem capable to give a big speech...inspire a flea... nor have I ever heard players sincerely talk about how transformational either have been to football or life.
-Have little control of personnel
-Don't call the shots when Jerry has a different idea

It's guppy level narrative, but will never stop. Head coaches get lots of credit or blame in Dallas, while doing virtually nothing to deserve either.
You’re right that head coaches (especially in Big D) get a ton of credit or blame without having as much authority as most NFL HCs.

But, I think Big Mac is responsible for a lot more than you think. Here’s a short list of responsibilities that he does have:
  • Setting the tone with expectations. He obviously has rules he enforces as we saw recently (weakly) with Zeke. This has to do with culture, expectations, rules, setting goals, etc.
  • Decisions about roster post training camp. Who to keep, cut, place on practice squad. (Probably has less control here than he should)
  • Providing input and approving final game plans on both sides of the ball.
  • Meets daily with position coaches regarding player development and performance.
  • Studies film with players and position coaches to point out performance positives and negatives.
  • Meets regularly with medical staff to assess player injuries, rehab, and fitness to play.
  • Meets twice weekly with the press.
  • Sets practice schedule and provides corrective input during practice.
  • Manages in-game decisions in real time. (Time outs, when to go for it, two point conversions, replay reviews, etc)
  • Pre and post game locker room talks with whole team.
  • Input at the draft (probably less than he should have)
  • Manages how to work around the Jones’ and their nonsense.
The head coach here is definitely ham-strung often by the owner and his circus. But McCarthy has managed that pretty well too IMO. He seems focused on what he controls and doesn’t seem that frustrated by Jerry’s undermining behavior.

Flamma

Reaction score
Without Pollard we wouldn’t be the same team offensively.

We’ve got a guy right now that can change a game with the most conservative of playcalls to get him the ball.

You're right, but two things can be true at the same time. We wouldn't be the same offense. But Dallas isn't a good offense just because of Pollard. Same goes for the defense and Parsons. We've had bad defenses with D. Ware and Sean Lee. One player doesn't make a good defense. But losing him would be a significant hit.

Flamma

Reaction score
What about him? Has he won any Lombardi’s without McCarthy? Brady’s won without Bellichick, but has Bellichick won without Brady?

Does Rodgers seem disinterested to you sometimes? I mean when he's not playing the Cowboys.

Belichick is not a God. He's a Demigod, that means he's half human. Give him another elite QB and he'll be racking up SB appearances once again. So he does have an edge.

ESisback

Reaction score
Does Rodgers seem disinterested to you sometimes? I mean when he's not playing the Cowboys.

Belichick is not a God. He's a Demigod, that means he's half human. Give him another elite QB and he'll be racking up SB appearances once again. So he does have an edge.

Rodgers seems arrogantly aloof. Laid back smug. Over the top confident.

T-RO

Reaction score
The important coaches in Dallas are
Quinn, Moore and Fassel

The most important front office guy is McClay.

These are the guys to credit or blame.

Cowboys0988

Reaction score
One of the most underrated aspects of Big Mac as a head coach is his ability to get his teams to play at a high level despite injuries or having to win playoff games on the road.

Count me as one of the fans who thought on opening night we were screwed when we played so bad against Tampa, lost our starting QB for weeks, and after losing our All Pro LT for almost the whole season. What Mike McCarthy has done so far in managing those injuries as well as having a rookie LT play very well has been remarkable.

Contrast all this against Jason Garrett, who couldn’t even manage losing a single starter on the OL.

McCarthy still needs to win multiple playoff games this season to make this story complete. But he has done this before. His 2010 packers team won a Lombardi by overcoming a ton of adversity.
  • The 2010 packers placed a whopping 15 players on injured reserve during that season, including 9 players who started at least one game. They had the most starters injured that year and still won the SB!
  • That 2010 packers team became the first 6th seed from the NFC to win a Super Bowl.
  • They also became the first NFC team to win the SB by winning 3 straight road playoff games.
I’m not counting any chickens here before they’ve hatched. This team still has a lot in front of it. This team NEEDS to win multiple playoff games to be better than any of the pretenders we’ve seen around here for far too long. This team will probably have to win a bunch of road playoff games. (We haven’t won a road playoff game since 1992!)

But here’s the hope we should have- Mike McCarthy has done this before.
All we need now is 2010 Arron Rodgers at QB for Cowboys. Thats a winning plan.
but I am a fan of Big Mike... I dont get all the hate.. Hes done great this year...2 double digit winning seasons in a row, first time in a long long time. With a back up QB for 5 games and #77 out all year so far... Other Cowboys teams would have imploded by now.

T-RO

Reaction score
Not Superbowl MVPs

Packers fired McCarthy. Do they know the scoop? Then in the following year not one team hired him.

Was Mike vital to that one Packer Super Bowl win? We all have opinions, don't we. We all like our narratives. At least in Green Bay Mike had some clear and notable responsibilities. Not so much in Dallas.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
One of the most underrated aspects of Big Mac as a head coach is his ability to get his teams to play at a high level despite injuries or having to win playoff games on the road.

Count me as one of the fans who thought on opening night we were screwed when we played so bad against Tampa, lost our starting QB for weeks, and after losing our All Pro LT for almost the whole season. What Mike McCarthy has done so far in managing those injuries as well as having a rookie LT play very well has been remarkable.

Contrast all this against Jason Garrett, who couldn’t even manage losing a single starter on the OL.

McCarthy still needs to win multiple playoff games this season to make this story complete. But he has done this before. His 2010 packers team won a Lombardi by overcoming a ton of adversity.
  • The 2010 packers placed a whopping 15 players on injured reserve during that season, including 9 players who started at least one game. They had the most starters injured that year and still won the SB!
  • That 2010 packers team became the first 6th seed from the NFC to win a Super Bowl.
  • They also became the first NFC team to win the SB by winning 3 straight road playoff games.
I’m not counting any chickens here before they’ve hatched. This team still has a lot in front of it. This team NEEDS to win multiple playoff games to be better than any of the pretenders we’ve seen around here for far too long. This team will probably have to win a bunch of road playoff games. (We haven’t won a road playoff game since 1992!)

But here’s the hope we should have- Mike McCarthy has done this before.
Prescot has a lot to do with this club's struggles which means the FO has to find a replacement for the TOAD HUNTER!

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Packers fired McCarthy. Do they know the scoop? Then in the following year not one team hired him.

Was Mike vital to that one Packer Super Bowl win? We all have opinions, don't we. We all like our narratives. At least in Green Bay Mike had some clear and notable responsibilities. Not so much in Dallas.
Just because a team fires a coach don't mean they are right. McCarthy and Rodgers couldn't get along, so one of them had to go.

McCarthy absolutely deserves credit for what he has done with the Cowboys and what he did with GB.

Again, GB hasn't been back to the Superbowl since McCarthy left even with a regular season MVP and number 1 seed. Rodgers is being referred to as a choker in the playoffs recently.

As far as nobody hiring McCarthy is because he wanted to take time off and re-establish himself and improve as a coach.