U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RJ Ochoa
@rjochoa

·
2m
Dallas Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy appeared on NFL Network on Wednesday.
@SteveMariucci
asked him how he would handle giving up offensive play-calling to Kellen Moore. McCarthy noted didn't want to short the offense and that he felt like he did that at times in Green Bay.

EfzSR79WAAAzwNV

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course, McCarthy will still have to sign off on game plans, but the play calling requires focusing on that one aspect of the team every down the offense is on the field, so it's understandable if a head coach chooses not to do that.

phildadon86

Reaction score
RJ Ochoa
@rjochoa

·
2m
Dallas Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy appeared on NFL Network on Wednesday.
@SteveMariucci
asked him how he would handle giving up offensive play-calling to Kellen Moore. McCarthy noted didn't want to short the offense and that he felt like he did that at times in Green Bay.

EfzSR79WAAAzwNV
No, can’t be. I heard here he had no choice and Jerry forced it on him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no issue with McCarthy being the HC of the entire team not just OC who is hands off on the rest of the team. I think McCarthy will have a lot of input in what he wants from Moore and this offense and I think he will have a lot of input into what Nolan is doing on defense. That is what a HC is supposed to do, be in charge of the team not just 1 side of the ball.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Of course, McCarthy will still have to sign off on game plans, but the play calling requires focusing on that one aspect of the team every down the offense is on the field, so it's understandable if a head coach chooses not to do that.
I was a HC for 12 years. I called both offense and defense my first year because I inherited a staff. I replaced five of them the following year and hand picked coordinators. I let them both call the game, but, I was on the headset and every play went through my ears. Many times I change the play or at least the run/pass call or defensive front and stunt. I felt comfortable with that and as time went on the percentage of times that I changed calls got lower......until my coordinators became HCs and I had to break in a new one. Six of them went on to become head coaches.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no issue with McCarthy being the HC of the entire team not just OC who is hands off on the rest of the team. I think McCarthy will have a lot of input in what he wants from Moore and this offense and I think he will have a lot of input into what Nolan is doing on defense. That is what a HC is supposed to do, be in charge of the team not just 1 side of the ball.

Bingo!

And McCarthy will actually have some input of value when needed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was a HC for 12 years. I called both offense and defense my first year because I inherited a staff. I replaced five of them the following year and hand picked coordinators. I let them both call the game, but, I was on the headset and every play went through my ears. Many times I change the play or at least the run/pass call or defensive front and stunt. I felt comfortable with that and as time went on the percentage of times that I changed calls got lower......until my coordinators became HCs and I had to break in a new one. Six of them went on to become head coaches.

Unlike Garrett, it sounds like your headset was actually plugged in!
:thumbup:
SoftFrightenedAtlanticblackgoby-size_restricted.gif

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bingo!

And McCarthy will actually have some input of value when needed.

I saw one who said walk around HC, maybe jokingly I assume. Jimmy Johnson was a so called walk around HC but more than that he was HC players were accountable to Jimmy be it defense, offense or special team. That is the role of HC he is the one players must be accountable to. We don't need a glorified OC or DC we need a HC who is in control of this team

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could see that happening with McCarthy - having a headset and listening to the plays that were called with the option to change.

817Gill

Reaction score
So much self-awareness in one quote wow. Jason Garrett could never.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw one who said walk around HC, maybe jokingly I assume. Jimmy Johnson was a so called walk around HC but more than that he was HC players were accountable to Jimmy be it defense, offense or special team. That is the role of HC he is the one players must be accountable to. We don't need a glorified OC or DC we need a HC who is in control of this team

There’s never been anything wrong with having a walk-around HC. It’s a big job. Especially in Dallas.

It is amusing watching heads nod in agreement at the idea when the same heads considered it an obvious sign of coaching incompetence for years. But it’s a new season, and people want to be happy about the new direction. That’s all good. I’d be lying if I didn’t say it would just be nice for people to be reasonable about their expectations from one season to the next rather than letting their opinions waggle back and forth with their emotions.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There’s never been anything wrong with having a walk-around HC. It’s a big job. Especially in Dallas.

It is amusing watching heads nod in agreement at the idea when the same heads considered it an obvious sign of coaching incompetence for years. But it’s a new season, and people want to be happy about the new direction. That’s all good. I’d be lying if I didn’t say it would just be nice for people to be reasonable about their expectations from one season to the next rather than letting their opinions waggle back and forth with their emotions.

I was never a Garrett hater but in the end he did not get the job done. I do think with McCarthy it is fresh start for him and for the players. Bringing in new concepts and views at this stage is something this team needs. As for my expectation they are the same as when Garrett was here which when looking at the overall talent of this team is to compete and win with the ultimate goal of winning a championship. I feel there are enough of the parts to make that happen.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was never a Garrett hater but in the end he did not get the job done. I do think with McCarthy it is fresh start for him and for the players. Bringing in new concepts and views at this stage is something this team needs. As for my expectation they are the same as when Garrett was here which when looking at the overall talent of this team is to compete and win with the ultimate goal of winning a championship. I feel there are enough of the parts to make that happen.

This is the right take. I feel the same. He didn't get the job done and needed to go, but I never understood the need of some to make him out to be a terrible person or treat him as if he had committed some kind of personal attack on them. He simply wasn't up to the task.

I'm not saying Idgit (who you responded to) was treating Garrett that way. In fact, I agree with him that opinions shouldn't be based on emotion. Emotion and reason often do not fit well together.

Last edited: