Twitter: Mike McCarthy on giving up offensive play calling to Kellen Moore

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It’s not a Garrett comment. It’s a comment about having reasonable expectations and being consistent intellectually instead of being consistent emotionally. We didn’t get it done last year in a contract season with a roster capable of contending. They made the right call changing coaches. I agree we’ve got a roster that ought to contend agin this season. We’ve been in the boat more-or-less since 2014 at this point.

This is one of the better squads we’ve had over that span, on paper. We should have high expectations again. Then again, I think we probably agree that there are things that derail the Cowboys that go beyond talented rosters and coaching.
I forget who made the point, but someone brought up the thought that bringing in a new HC means he doesn't have any pets, so the vets are gonna be trying to prove themselves to him, rather than resting on their laurels, which some probably did with Garrett.

Aven8

Reaction score
Being a Big 12 fan that was my gripe with Kingsbury and the Okie St coach, Mike Gundy. Hell I remember him sitting down on the bench going over plays while the defense was on the field! I’m like wth?!? Your team is out there still playing! You’re not just an OC.

Belichick has given the reigns over to his Coordinators with his oversight. Mike can do it too.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I forget who made the point, but someone brought up the thought that bringing in a new HC means he doesn't have any pets, so the vets are gonna be trying to prove themselves to him, rather than resting on their laurels, which some probably did with Garrett.

That’s probably true, to an extent. If we put the right systems in place and things come together, maybe we have a chance to start off hot.

I do worry about implementing so much new stuff in an interrupted preseason. That favors teams who have stability. At least for the early part of the season.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Yup, he will tell Moore what play to call.
Good. Moore needs to be watched after that fiasco play calling with the division on the line in Philly last season by benching our two top WR's on 4th & goal.

But yet the Dak haters blamed him for losing that game. PLEEZ :rolleyes:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Of course, McCarthy will still have to sign off on game plans, but the play calling requires focusing on that one aspect of the team every down the offense is on the field, so it's understandable if a head coach chooses not to do that.

He didn’t choose anything.

Jerry told him.

Big Mike better worry about the Defense. He hired his buddy to be the DC.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That’s probably true, to an extent. If we put the right systems in place and things come together, maybe we have a chance to start off hot.

I do worry about implementing so much new stuff in an interrupted preseason. That favors teams who have stability. At least for the early part of the season.
I dont think that will be an issue. Changing terminology is not a big deal and defenses are always multiple anyways. If they were a wing T offense changing to a spread, that would different. We'll see.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He didn’t choose anything.

Jerry told him.

Big Mike better worry about the Defense. He hired his buddy to be the DC.
Fine, you be the self-proclaimed spokesman for what happens that we can't possibly know. Go for it baby!

fivetwos

Reaction score
I personally would prefer if the HC didnt have the responsibility of calling plays.

I dont want him that much removed from the defense, and clock management and certain in game decisions require enough of their attention.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
RJ Ochoa
@rjochoa

·
2m
Dallas Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy appeared on NFL Network on Wednesday.
@SteveMariucci
asked him how he would handle giving up offensive play-calling to Kellen Moore. McCarthy noted didn't want to short the offense and that he felt like he did that at times in Green Bay.

EfzSR79WAAAzwNV
I am still of the opinion that McCarthy should be calling the offense.

If he wants to have Moore setup the installation each week of the gameplan..fine.

But on game day in the heat of the game..he is down on the sidelines and directly seeing what is going on..

Moore maybe up in the booth but not sure he is going to be connected with the whole process.

I just trust McCarthy much more with his experience and in game presence. When the other team has to play us..

they are really playing McCarthy and his playcalling mind in what he is setting up in certain situations.

Especially last year, Moore's playcalling was predictable down in the redzone and we stalled losing numerous games and ended up kicking FG only to lose. I won't get into constantly sending Zeke on 1st down and never throwing on first down.

We have all seen that from Moore.

Now I realize many want to blame Garrett for this..but he was not calling the plays. Moore was. I have heard nothing that would say otherwise.

This to me is the question that holds the key to any chance we have to win. Can and will Moore re-invent himself enough under Big Mike to succeed?

If we struggle too much, McCarthy at the Bye Week will have to reestablish himself as the playcaller.

Not what we will want to see.

Kitna to me also had an unknown affect on Kitna but by all accounts Dak was working well with Kitna.

Now who knows.

Initially McCarthy said he would call the plays and I was pretty jazzed about that but abruptly that changed back to Moore.

Can Dalton contribute in the playcalling? Can he improve with Dak where Kitna was succeeding?

So I guess I am going to be a Doubting Debby until I see proof Moore is really the real deal for us.

:huh: