Twitter: Mike McCarthy on giving up offensive play calling to Kellen Moore

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was never a Garrett hater but in the end he did not get the job done. I do think with McCarthy it is fresh start for him and for the players. Bringing in new concepts and views at this stage is something this team needs. As for my expectation they are the same as when Garrett was here which when looking at the overall talent of this team is to compete and win with the ultimate goal of winning a championship. I feel there are enough of the parts to make that happen.

It’s not a Garrett comment. It’s a comment about having reasonable expectations and being consistent intellectually instead of being consistent emotionally. We didn’t get it done last year in a contract season with a roster capable of contending. They made the right call changing coaches. I agree we’ve got a roster that ought to contend agin this season. We’ve been in the boat more-or-less since 2014 at this point.

This is one of the better squads we’ve had over that span, on paper. We should have high expectations again. Then again, I think we probably agree that there are things that derail the Cowboys that go beyond talented rosters and coaching.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It’s not a Garrett comment. It’s a comment about having reasonable expectations and being consistent intellectually instead of being consistent emotionally. We didn’t get it done last year in a contract season with a roster capable of contending. They made the right call changing coaches. I agree we’ve got a roster that ought to contend agin this season. We’ve been in the boat more-or-less since 2014 at this point.

This is one of the better squads we’ve had over that span, on paper. We should have high expectations again. Then again, I think we probably agree that there are things that derail the Cowboys that go beyond talented rosters and coaching.

Valkyr

Reaction score
As an aside, Kellen made one of the greatest clutch throws I've ever seen when at Boise

Dropping that dime with one second left, sheesh.

Never mind the kicker missing the GW FG right after

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There’s never been anything wrong with having a walk-around HC. It’s a big job. Especially in Dallas.

It is amusing watching heads nod in agreement at the idea when the same heads considered it an obvious sign of coaching incompetence for years. But it’s a new season, and people want to be happy about the new direction. That’s all good. I’d be lying if I didn’t say it would just be nice for people to be reasonable about their expectations from one season to the next rather than letting their opinions waggle back and forth with their emotions.
I became a walk around head coach towards the end of my career. Big program, close to 100 coaches and having to deal with administration, school board and parents. That said, I always approved game plans and everything called on the field, including substitution. I hope MM does that. It was my team and I made sure it was run the way I wanted it to be run.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I became a walk around head coach towards the end of my career. Big program, close to 100 coaches and having to deal with administration, school board and parents. That said, I always approved game plans and everything called on the field, including substitution. I hope MM does that. It was my team and I made sure it was run the way I wanted it to be run.

I think he will because ultimately as HC you are responsible, not the OC or DC but the HC. If OC or DC are not doing the job HC has to step in and correct the issue.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
RJ Ochoa
@rjochoa

·
2m
Dallas Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy appeared on NFL Network on Wednesday.
@SteveMariucci
asked him how he would handle giving up offensive play-calling to Kellen Moore. McCarthy noted didn't want to short the offense and that he felt like he did that at times in Green Bay.

EfzSR79WAAAzwNV

I like it and am excited to watch Kellen learn. It's nice that Kellen will finally have a proper HC to learn from and to help him when he makes mistakes.

visionary

Reaction score
I was a HC for 12 years. I called both offense and defense my first year because I inherited a staff. I replaced five of them the following year and hand picked coordinators. I let them both call the game, but, I was on the headset and every play went through my ears. Many times I change the play or at least the run/pass call or defensive front and stunt. I felt comfortable with that and as time went on the percentage of times that I changed calls got lower......until my coordinators became HCs and I had to break in a new one. Six of them went on to become head coaches.

you were ok but you we’re no Garrett

:thumbup:

75boyz

Reaction score

Excellent big picture perspective. Although I was not a giant supporter of the previous regime I knew it "all" did not fall at his feet when playing the blame game.
Also agree with your on paper roster statement regarding the Cowboys since 2014 and how they should have been competitive.
What's truly interesting is if(and it's a big if) this current staff has a sucky below 500 year.
Will it be the virus, injuries or Jerry and Stephen again?

We know it can never be any Dak's fault and surely this coach with his coaching won lost record should be able to win with this current roster, no?

Definitely something to think about. Kinda hinting at and agreeing again with how you mentioned the way opinions tend to sway.

So again, nice post. And I'll just say again, Gosh forbid there be a sub .500 season because they have run out of all the usual scapegoats, lol :)

johneric8

Reaction score
Garrett would never admit to his failures, it was always the generic "We" need to be better, or that includes "Me", but the freckled puppet kept things vague and never would mention what he had to do better which was part of his failed design of spreading the blame.. This is the very thing that eventually was responsible for the players checking out on him. He threw players under the bus to save himself many times and this exposed him for the fraud that he was as a head coach.. Him begging for his job and not leaving the building showed just how ridiculous the relationship was between him and Jerrah..

visionary

Reaction score

so was Garrett never building the team (so the whole Garrett is building a contender excuse by Garrett apologists like yourself was a farce) or was Garrett too stupid to build a contender in 10 years (something apparently McCarthy has been able to do in his first year )

Garrett jock sniffers are always good for a laugh so this should be good

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excellent big picture perspective. Although I was not a giant supporter of the previous regime I knew it "all" did not fall at his feet when playing the blame game.
Also agree with your on paper roster statement regarding the Cowboys since 2014 and how they should have been competitive.
What's truly interesting is if(and it's a big if) this current staff has a sucky below 500 year.
Will it be the virus, injuries or Jerry and Stephen again?

We know it can never be any Dak's fault and surely this coach with his coaching won lost record should be able to win with this current roster, no?

Definitely something to think about. Kinda hinting at and agreeing again with how you mentioned the way opinions tend to sway.

So again, nice post. And I'll just say again, Gosh forbid there be a sub .500 season because they have run out of all the usual scapegoats, lol :)

This team just has so much of a spotlight on it, and so many distractions it’s a terrible environment for building a process where a team can keep improving regularly to stay in position for things to break right for a couple of runs. Throw in a phony suspension and the massive distraction that came with it and a couple of controversial officiating calls and it gets easier to see how hard it is to keep your head down and just win in Dallas.

I think McCarthy has the ability and the right temperament. It’s just such a big ask. He’s a good coach, not a great one. I think we’re asking a lot of him.

75boyz

Reaction score
This team just has so much of a spotlight on it, and so many distractions it’s a terrible environment for building a process where a team can keep improving regularly to stay in position for things to break right for a couple of runs. Throw in a phony suspension and the massive distraction that came with it and a couple of controversial officiating calls and it gets easier to see how hard it is to keep your head down and just win in Dallas.

I think McCarthy has the ability and the right temperament. It’s just such a big ask. He’s a good coach, not a great one. I think we’re asking a lot of him.

All fair enough factors to be mentioned as additional reasons for past failure. I'm not the biggest believer in the new guy so I'll just stick to that good old Cowboy reliable...Hope. Lol :)