Twitter: Mike McCarthy on his decision to go for it on fourth and 3

Kaiser

Reaction score
For what its worth Dak's response about the play call was that he loved that the coaches put it in the players hands.

I think we make the 1st 4 times out of 5. And even if we don't there is normally a better than even chance our defense stops the Rams with plenty of time for a new drive.

cowboyec

Reaction score
no problem with it.
take advantage of every possession.
we played better D in the 2nd half but it felt like we might not get the ball back.
if anything....run deeper routes.
does anyone run past the sticks any more?

kumizi

Reaction score
That might be a good call in a high scoring game where both offenses are putting up touchdowns. Not the right call in a low scoring game like tonight.

Dre11

Reaction score
The last coach wasn't a really good coach. Eventually that reality will set in for you. Who knows if McCarthy will be good enough.

But your constant desire to defend Garrett by essentially arguing that coaching doesn't really matter is hilarious.

its hilarious that the same thing I preach still rings true, players win and lose games. the 4th and 3 would've work if Lamb runs the route past the sticks game is different them. we supposedly got a better coach, and lost a game in the same fashion as last season

Sydla

Reaction score
lol...you can admit a mistake, you take the sure 3 to tie, and give yourself more a chance with a tie game, you D was struggling.

Coaching doesn't matter according to you. Players got to make plays. So how can McCarthy going for the first down there be a mistake using your logic? Players gotta make plays. Dak has to find another WR. Lamb has to run the route deeper. Whatever. Players gotta make plays. Coaching doesn't matter says you for all of the last 9.5 years.

And yet here you are, calling a coaching call a mistake. LOL.

Dre11

Reaction score
Theres the Garrett apologists! Right on cue.

At least the current staff made adjustments in the second half and had us in a position to win. Garrett would've played for the tie.

lol what position to win, we left a score on the field in the second half...lol a
Tie would've been better than being down...lol

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
lol what position to win, we left a score on the field in the second half...lol a
Tie would've been better than being down...lol
And playing for the field goal for ten years netted us a grand total of two playoff wins.

And Greg actually looked bad this game. No guarantees that he was money.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think we make the 1st 4 times out of 5. And even if we don't there is normally a better than even chance our defense stops the Rams with plenty of time for a new drive.

Watching this game, that's your conclusion? That this defense had a really good shot of stopping the team more than half the time?

Dre11

Reaction score
Coaching doesn't matter according to you. Players got to make plays. So how can McCarthy going for the first down there be a mistake using your logic? Players gotta make plays. Dak has to find another WR. Lamb has to run the route deeper. Whatever. Players gotta make plays. Coaching doesn't matter says you for all of the last 9.5 years.

And yet here you are, calling a coaching call a mistake. LOL.

I didnt call it a mistake, I mostly clowning you , because you think it was the call, it wasnt the call that failed, the players bad execution makes it a mistake. Until you grasp that concept you'll understand.

Dre11

Reaction score
And playing for the field goal for ten years netted us a grand total of two playoff wins.

And Greg actually looked bad this game. No guarantees that he was money.

lol, you act like we never went on 4th downs, or we havent won these exact kinds of games...lol gtfoh

Sydla

Reaction score
I didnt call it a mistake, I mostly clowning you , because you think it was the call, it wasnt the call that failed, the players bad execution makes it a mistake. Until you grasp that concept you'll understand.

So you think McCarthy going for it was a smart move?

Sydla

Reaction score
lol, you act like we never went on 4th downs, or we havent won these exact kinds of games...lol gtfoh

Not enough to have won anything of note under Garrett.

No one takes you seriously when you claim coaching doesn't matter. It's arguably the dumbest thing that gets uttered on this board.

Dre11

Reaction score
So you think McCarthy going for it was a smart move?

it was smart or bad , it was a gamble, its the same thing I've preached for years, its not the call, its the result of the call, which is on the players

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
For what its worth Dak's response about the play call was that he loved that the coaches put it in the players hands.

And I loved that as well. It was actually refreshing tbh. I mean, if we got the first down, nobody would be questioning McCarthy's decision. It was one of those decisions, and I appreciated that. I don't think we lost just on that play, and it wouldn't have mattered if we hadn't gotten hosed on the Gallup play.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Theres the Garrett apologists! Right on cue.

At least the current staff made adjustments in the second half and had us in a position to win. Garrett would've played for the tie.

which adjustments? They score 3 points on 5 possessions in the second half. They scored two td's in the first half.

which adjustments? They fair caught two punts inside the ten. This was a big sticking point with how bad the special teams were last year..

They got a takeaway and 4 straight stops on defense because they slowed down the running game finally and made a couple of crucial tackles.

which adjustments did mike mccarthy and kellen moore make in the second half and how did it help?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
What’s funny to me is I don’t see ANYONE talking about the fact Schultz dropped the pass that would’ve given them the first down - went right through his hands and he was either right at the sticks or extremely close.

Great point! Dak put that in a good spot, and Schultz drops it. He saw nothing on that play. If he catches that, the decision on 4th down doesn't have to be made.

BigDPlayer

Reaction score
It was a horrifically bad call. This call by MM cost Dallas the game. PERIOD end of story. There are no excuses other than a coach trying to show how big he is. Def was playing poorly and injured. OLlooked like crap and it is just the first game. Any BS they spout about trusting the players is total crap. Every player always want to go for it.

The reason MM was hired was not to make dumb decisions in the first game. Highly disappointed in him and hope he gets his **** together and fast.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I have complained for years about Garrett's conservative style. I can't sit here and rip McCarthy for being aggressive. I think he should have taken the 3 given this was a road game but I can't get on him for it.

Same here on that as well

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Hey Mike. Welcome to ridiculous calls going against your receivers at the end of tight games.

get used to it. Plan for it. Overcome it

Yup, especially when Corrente is on the call. Now he knows how we felt going against Corrente against his Packers, especially in the 2016 playoff game.