Twitter: Mike McCarthy on his decision to go for it on fourth and 3

Dre11

Reaction score
Not enough to have won anything of note under Garrett.

No one takes you seriously when you claim coaching doesn't matter. It's arguably the dumbest thing that gets uttered on this board.

I said players win and lose games, I've said they're the ones playing the game, its their execution that determines a win or loss. what a player does in the moment on the field is out of the control of a coach, its their job to execute their role on the field.

Sydla

Reaction score
it was smart or bad , it was a gamble, its the same thing I've preached for years, its not the call, its the result of the call, which is on the players

So........... let's say it's 4th and 13 there and not 3 and he goes for it.

Using your logic, no right or wrong call there, players just got make the play.

Or with 10 seconds left and 4th down with the ball on the 18 yard line and down 6, you run a draw. Not a bad call. Players just have to execute.

Dre11

Reaction score
which adjustments? They score 3 points on 5 possessions in the second half. They scored two td's in the first half.

which adjustments? They fair caught two punts inside the ten. This was a big sticking point with how bad the special teams were last year..

They got a takeaway and 4 straight stops on defense because they slowed down the running game finally and made a couple of crucial tackles.

which adjustments did mike mccarthy and kellen moore make in the second half and how did it help?

lol...that fool wouldnt know an adjustment if it smacked him in his face

BlueStar22

Reaction score
I honestly didn't mind the call. At that point, our defense had done next to nothing to stop them. We didn't get stops until after that sequence. So I was thinking he figured offense is going to have to win this game.Now later, I thought about how we'd already left three points on the field with the missed FG, you probably need to take the points there.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have complained for years about Garrett's conservative style. I can't sit here and rip McCarthy for being aggressive. I think he should have taken the 3 given this was a road game but I can't get on him for it.

thank you for admitting that. I have brought that point up to several people tonight. We roasted Garrett for being conservative (like in the New England game lad year) so we can’t cry and moan when McCarthy is aggressive and it backfires. You win some you lose some

MikeB80

Reaction score
I honestly didn't mind the call. At that point, our defense had done next to nothing to stop them. We didn't get stops until after that sequence. So I was thinking he figured offense is going to have to win this game.Now later, I thought about how we'd already left three points on the field with the missed FG, you probably need to take the points there.

so you are good with going for a 53 yarder but not a short kick down 3 in the fourth quarter? Thats good logic.

Dre11

Reaction score
So........... let's say it's 4th and 13 there and not 3 and he goes for it.

Using your logic, no right or wrong call there, players just got make the play.

Or with 10 seconds left and 4th down with the ball on the 18 yard line and down 6, you run a draw. Not a bad call. Players just have to execute.

if its 4th 13 and you run a draw and you covert its not a bad call. as I said its the result that matters. people would be yelling its a helluva call.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
4th and 3 is top story from local paper. Not only the decision but poor play called attempting to convert.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Incredibly stupid call. Period. On the road you tie the score. With the way the defense had been playing up to then, you tie the score. And it wasn’t like it was 4th and 1 or 4th and 2, it was high risk so you tie the score. His idiotic rationale that he wanted the players to play wide open ignored the situation and went a long ways towards losing the game. His other stupid call was leaving this pathetic offensive scheme in place and just tweaking it. I’ll take his word on tweaking it because I didn’t see it; run on first down, dink passes, keep throwing 8 yards passes to same receiver in crunch time, long developing plays that never get open.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
if its 4th 13 and you run a draw and you covert its not a bad call. as I said its the result that matters. people would be yelling its a helluva call.
Of course but those results have consequences and accountability.

catiii

Reaction score
"Players have to execute" was always GARRETT'S EXCUSE for bad judgement and poor decisions. Now some of you are accepting it from this crew? smh~~~~~
It was a BAD CALL. PERIOD.

The Natural

Reaction score
I didnt have a problem going for it on 4th, my problem was with the play call right before. What was it 3rd and 6? And they hand it off for a run. Why concede that you cant pick up 6 yards through the air with these receivers?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
"Players have to execute" was always GARRETT'S EXCUSE for bad judgement and poor decisions. Now some of you are accepting it from this crew? smh~~~~~
It was a BAD CALL. PERIOD.
I think bad decisions and losing is going to be more acceptable from a proven winning HC:)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
they may, but it still doesnt mean the players produce the result. everyone knows who's going to take the blame.
Players always want to go for it cause they won’t be held responsible for making the decision.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Not even Mahomes and KC would have gone for it there. I really hope we can just chalk it up to McCarthy being rusty one year off from the sideline and also getting too comfortable with no fans there so it felt like a low-pressure scrimmage.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
The play calling was too conservative. Dink and dunk pass plays. This looked bad. I actually think Garrett called a more creative game plan. I am not liking this McCarthy era right now.