Video: Mike McCarthy on how he has changed

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think we would still be one of the most under coached teams on game day.

Chris Simms said he thinks McCarthy would be good here but also says Dallas and GB have been 2 of the worst teams schematically.

He says he’s spent more time figuring out what he wants to do as a program then offensively.

Jason Garrett had that part down. We need to be better on Sundays.

That whole part around 24:30 bothers me.

Just watch this interview. I’m not hiring this guy for this position. No upside.

Go to 1:35 in this video.

It talks about Aaron Rodgers believing that McCarthy has one of the lowest football IQs that he has been around and how he has to bail the offense out.

Last edited:

RodeoJake

Reaction score
But just think of all the fun we could have calling him Charlie McCarthy if he doesn't win.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
McCarthy - 13- years - .618 record - 9 playoff appearances - 6 division titles - 4 championship game appearances - 1 SB champion.

They can do worse. He wouldn't be my fist choice, but I would rather him than most of the "hot coordinators" or Riley or Rhule. He would be good for any QB in the stable. A lot will depend on the Staff he can assemble, particularly DC and STs coach. I can't see him allowing Moore to call plays.

Big_D

Reaction score
Still better than Garrett. Let’s see the entire pool of candidates and what Jerry has in mind. I still like Meyer, but certainly wouldn’t mind McCarthy. He’s had success and is making an effort to learn new things and utilize analytics. And he won’t get a dozen plus seasons to throw away if things don’t work out. After the Garrett debacle, I’m not picky at all.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
McCarthy - 13- years - .618 record - 9 playoff appearances - 6 division titles - 4 championship game appearances - 1 SB champion.

They can do worse. He wouldn't be my fist choice, but I would rather him than most of the "hot coordinators" or Riley or Rhule. He would be good for any QB in the stable. A lot will depend on the Staff he can assemble, particularly DC and STs coach. I can't see him allowing Moore to call plays.

The guy had 2 of the best NFL talents ever.

We have an average NFL talent here. Keep that in mind.

Give me someone with upside and not a coach that has been criticized for his low football IQ and work ethic because Dak Prescott is not bailing any coach out of bad plays.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
I hope Urban Meyer is the top choice. McCarthy is an upgrade, but like others have said how much? While I think it’s great that he won a super bowl he was there for like 12 years and had Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers. Seems a little disappointing to only have 1 ring knowing that.

droopdog7

Reaction score
I don’t want a coach that was successful because he had a great QB. That Qb is still great without him.

Gaede

Reaction score
I think it's funny we've finally jettisoned Garrett, he of 3 playoff appearances in 10 years, and we're acting like a former Super Bowl winning coach with 8 straight playoff appearances isn't good enough for us.

Reality is, every coach has weaknesses and we can nitpick them till the cows come home, especially the experienced ones. But that doesn't mean they're not a significant improvement over JG.

Doomsay

Reaction score
He seems to have gotten bigger, not impressed that he is newly embracing analytics.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think it's funny we've finally jettisoned Garrett, he of 3 playoff appearances in 10 years, and we're acting like a former Super Bowl winning coach isn't good enough for us.

Reality is, every coach has weaknesses and we can nitpick them till the cows come home. But that doesn't mean they're not a significant improvement over JG.

I don’t want a coach that has the same weakness we already had and is trying to improve his Monday-Saturday approach that Garrett was already good at.

Aaron’s Rodgers isn’t coming with him and somehow the Packers are the 2 seed and playing good football again now that he is gone.

Aaron Rodgers is his Tony Romo except a better version of that. This is another version of Garrett.

Mike McCarthy is an anchor on game day just like Garrett.

Big_D

Reaction score
I think it's funny we've finally jettisoned Garrett, he of 3 playoff appearances in 10 years, and we're acting like a former Super Bowl winning coach with 8 straight playoff appearances, isn't good enough for us.

Reality is, every coach has weaknesses and we can nitpick them till the cows come home, especially the experienced ones. But that doesn't mean they're not a significant improvement over JG.

but he only won 1 super bowl? lol meanwhile this team is softer than ever can’t get past the divisional round and the Super bowl is just a dream that will never come true as long as Garrett remained coach.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Agreed! He would be an upgrade over Garrett but I would have serious doubts he could win super bowls in Dallas.
Being an upgrade over Garrett is not a raging endorsement, most any candidate is that way going in but doesn't mean you're a good coach.

Being better than one of the worst don't make you good.

Gaede

Reaction score
I don’t want a coach that has the same weakness we already had and is trying to improve his Monday-Saturday approach that Garrett was already good at.

Aaron’s Rodgers isn’t coming with him and somehow the Packers are the 2 seed and playing good football again now that he is gone.

Aaron Rodgers is his Tony Romo except a better version of that. This is another version of Garrett.

Mike McCarthy is an anchor on game day just like Garrett.

We blame Garrett for everything here, not the QB (though some like to do that too)--personnel, staffing, gameplanning, playcalling etc. And rightly so, because in the NFL there's only 1 person who has to lead them all--the HC.

Rodgers definitely contributed to his success, but it's impossible that the Packers had 8 straight playoff appearances, 1 Super Bowl win, and 3 championship appearances, without some input and leadership from the HC.

I don't think McCarthy is the best option, but he is absolutely an improvement over JG.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Still better than Garrett. Let’s see the entire pool of candidates and what Jerry has in mind. I still like Meyer, but certainly wouldn’t mind McCarthy. He’s had success and is making an effort to learn new things and utilize analytics. And he won’t get a dozen plus seasons to throw away if things don’t work out. After the Garrett debacle, I’m not picky at all.
I came across this yesterday. McCarthy not even listed.
3l8aqu.jpg

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We blame Garrett for everything here, not the QB (though some like to do that too)--personnel, staffing, gameplanning, playcalling etc. And rightly so, because in the NFL there's only 1 person who has to lead them all--the HC.

Rodgers definitely contributed to his success, but it's impossible that the Packers had 8 straight playoff appearances, 1 Super Bowl win, and 3 championship appearances, without some input and leadership from the HC.

I don't think McCarthy is the best option, but he is absolutely an improvement over JG.

The Packers have had some talented teams, probably the most talented QB of all time, and a division that is not that good.

I don’t give McCarthy much credit for being decent under those circumstances and the new coach is doing the same thing.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The guy had 2 of the best NFL talents ever.

We have an average NFL talent here. Keep that in mind.

Give me someone with upside and not a coach that has been criticized for his low football IQ and work ethic because Dak Prescott is not bailing any coach out of bad plays.
It takes 53 to win and the Packers went to the SB under McCarthy with a crazy amount of guys on IR. The Cowboys do not have average NFL talent. I can't even take a statement like that seriously.

McCarthy is not someone who I would say the Cowboys need to have, but if the choice is between him, Riley or a guy like Saleh, I take McCarthy.