Video: Mike McCarthy on how he has changed

Soth

Reaction score
I think it's funny we've finally jettisoned Garrett, he of 3 playoff appearances in 10 years, and we're acting like a former Super Bowl winning coach with 8 straight playoff appearances isn't good enough for us.

Reality is, every coach has weaknesses and we can nitpick them till the cows come home, especially the experienced ones. But that doesn't mean they're not a significant improvement over JG.

I agree 100%. Everyone wants a coach that has won SBs but with terrible talent, that knows X and Os, that seems tough and doesn't clap, and that can handle Jerry. We won't find anyone like that.

In my opinion, JG is a fraud. He is not a real coach. He was the HC and he couldn't take away play calling from Kellen? Is there an elite coach out there that would accept those terms? I know Jerry is the main problem, but so is Garrett for accepting those conditions. He will never be great if he allows an owner to treat him like a position coach. Man, didn't JG says Kellen was responsible for formations and WR rotation? Kellen is also responsible for play calling, and Rod/Richard handle the defense, so what does JG do?

McCarthy>>>>JG

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Reminds me of Garrett with this type of politicking. If he was so good he wouldn't have to hype himself up like this, his work would speak for itself. Based on this only, I definitely dont want him. Tired of these types of clown head coaches. I swear there are so many better people in the world that can be coaches besides these losers only their daddy didnt plug them into the NFL pipeline with relationships.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Reminds me of Garrett with this type of politicking. If he was so good he wouldn't have to hype himself up like this, his work would speak for itself. Based on this only, I definitely dont want him. Tired of these types of clown head coaches. I swear there are so many better people in the world that can be coaches besides these losers only their daddy didnt plug them into the NFL pipeline with relationships.

Exactly.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
A ton..

How did they do when Brees was out?

Also, their division is competitive.

How a coach does in one stretch of games with a backup QB does not define his career.

The Saints did well with Bridgewater (who is a hell of a lot better than Brett Hundley) this year, but they also have a really strong team in all three phases. Payton and Brees were going nowhere fast a few years ago when they had three straight 7-9 seasons before Loomis drafted Kamara/Thomas and quite literally turned their franchise around.

Gaede

Reaction score

Soooo...spending your time out of the game researching and planning is a bad thing now? Would sitting on the couch have better qualified him for another head coaching position?

You act like McCarthy is politicking. He's selling himself to get another job, as he should.

pansophy

Reaction score
I think we would still be one of the most under coached teams on game day.

Chris Simms said he thinks McCarthy would be good here but also says Dallas and GB have been 2 of the worst teams schematically.

He says he’s spent more time figuring out what he wants to do as a program then offensively.

Jason Garrett had that part down. We need to be better on Sundays.

That whole part around 24:30 bothers me.

Just watch this interview. I’m not hiring this guy for this position. No upside.

Go to 1:35 in this video.

It talks about Aaron Rodgers believing that McCarthy has one of the lowest football IQs that he has been around and how he has to bail the offense out.

Thanks for posting this. I didn't watch it when you first posted it, but went back to find it this morning. I'm worried that Rodgers disliked him so much, but I did like a lot of things he had to say. The whole thing about spending more time on the program than offensively may be a good thing (and is probably the reason why Garrett lost play calling rights for the same reason). I'm more hopeful about it after seeing this than I was before.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I think we would still be one of the most under coached teams on game day.

Chris Simms said he thinks McCarthy would be good here but also says Dallas and GB have been 2 of the worst teams schematically.

He says he’s spent more time figuring out what he wants to do as a program then offensively.

Jason Garrett had that part down. We need to be better on Sundays.

That whole part around 24:30 bothers me.

Just watch this interview. I’m not hiring this guy for this position. No upside.

tenor.gif

aikemirv

Reaction score
I don’t want a coach that was successful because he had a great QB. That Qb is still great without him.
What do you say about Peyton then? He has one of the greatest to ever play the game and only has 1.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I didn't watch it when you first posted it, but went back to find it this morning. I'm worried that Rodgers disliked him so much, but I did like a lot of things he had to say. The whole thing about spending more time on the program than offensively may be a good thing (and is probably the reason why Garrett lost play calling rights for the same reason). I'm more hopeful about it after seeing this than I was before.
Scheming only last a year or so in the NFL. DC's figure you out. Keeping the defenses off balance is much more important - playcalling and feel for the game - Garrett had none. He had the program down, he just had no feel for the game.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Nothing especially impressed me in the video. Nothing especially depressed me in video.

droopdog7

Reaction score
What do you say about Peyton then? He has one of the greatest to ever play the game and only has 1.
I say what I've always said. The issue here isn't the coach; it's the owner. As for Payton, he's a good coach but he wouldn't succeed here either.