Video: Mike McCarthy on how he has changed

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The guy had 2 of the best NFL talents ever.

We have an average NFL talent here. Keep that in mind.

Give me someone with upside and not a coach that has been criticized for his low football IQ and work ethic because Dak Prescott is not bailing any coach out of bad plays.

There have been head coaches with more talent than McCarthy had that left the NFL without a Super Bowl

You keep fixating on Rodgers like that is the ultimate reason he should have multiple wins. The NFC is an incredibly competitive conference. It’s not the AFC

McCarthy would do wonders for Dak or any other QB. Your evaluation of talent at the coaching position is lacking

Big_D

Reaction score
I came across this yesterday. McCarthy not even listed.
3l8aqu.jpg

He should be since he’s getting an interview? But I do know there isn’t one person on that list I’m keeping Garrett over. And plenty not listed.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He hasn't been a HC who has offensively been schematically proficient in the past. That all we definitively have to go by. At this point, I doubt that there is anyone who can come in and resurrect the Cowboys to what they once were under Jimmy Johnson. As long as Jerry is who he has been in the past, my previous sentence is likely to be correct. Jerry must become big part of the upcoming change.

There are more candidates to be interviewed. Let's see what they'll have to say that may or may not stand them in better stead than what we've seen and heard with McCarthy. I think Jerry needs to consider changing his way of doing things before any coach can truly be successful, however.

I'd venture to add that Jerry sorely needs to be interviewed just as much as the coaches who have yet to be interviewed, to see if he's actually willing to improve meaningfully upon what he's been for the past 24+ years or so. That would be the key to the Cowboys' chances of really getting to where they'd ideally like to go. As long as Jerry is unwilling to step back and allow his next head coach to be empowered, it's not really an encouraging situation.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It takes 53 to win and the Packers went to the SB under McCarthy with a crazy amount of guys on IR. The Cowboys do not have average NFL talent. I can't even take a statement like that seriously.

McCarthy is not someone who I would say the Cowboys need to have, but if the choice is between him, Riley or a guy like Saleh, I take McCarthy.

I would take Riley all day over McCarthy because Lincoln has upside and he would put a lot more energy into it then McCarthy would.

If it failed then so be it. Fire him and hire another.

I don’t want a coach that has been questioned about his offensive schemes and his main focus now is how he is going to prepare the team Monday-Saturday.

We’ve already had a coach that was good Monday-Saturday and bad on Sundays and Aaron Rodgers isn’t walking through that door and playing QB for Dallas.

Gaede

Reaction score
The Packers have had some talented teams, probably the most talented QB of all time, and a division that is not that good.

I don’t give McCarthy much credit for being decent under those circumstances and the new coach is doing the same thing.

By that logic, Belicheck is overrated as well. His division's been trash for a decade and Brady is arguably the GOAT at the position.

I don't just know how a coach is supposed to be good if dominating your division and coaching great players to the Super Bowl isn't enough.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
By that logic, Belicheck is overrated as well. His division's been trash for a decade and Brady is arguably the GOAT at the position.

I don't just know how a coach is good then if dominating your division and coaching great players isn't enough.

Nope..

Belichick has a winning record in New England with his backups and he constantly won championships with his 6th round QB.

Big difference.

Belichick maximizes talent. Guys like McCarthy and Garrett rely on it.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
My $0.02

In our 2 big wins this year vs Philly and LAR, there was an urgency, an energy, and an enthusiasm on display by our players.

Garrett’s message has been tuned out. His methodical, corporate, flat, expressionless approach is not what this team needs anymore.

We need a HC that can reach the players and pull them into urgency and energy— we know they have the potential to play that way— we just need a leader that can focus them that way more consistently.

McCarthy does not strike me as a leader that can bring that energy out of these players. A young, hungry, passionate coach could connect with our players in a more meaningful way I believe

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He's not a puppet, Jones won't hire him. Plus he's into analytics.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Marvin Lewis giving advice??? that's says it all
to me big NO to Mike.Josh or Marvin

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think it's funny we've finally jettisoned Garrett, he of 3 playoff appearances in 10 years, and we're acting like a former Super Bowl winning coach with 8 straight playoff appearances isn't good enough for us.

Reality is, every coach has weaknesses and we can nitpick them till the cows come home, especially the experienced ones. But that doesn't mean they're not a significant improvement over JG.
Like × 1000

jnday

Reaction score
I don’t want a coach that has the same weakness we already had and is trying to improve his Monday-Saturday approach that Garrett was already good at.

Aaron’s Rodgers isn’t coming with him and somehow the Packers are the 2 seed and playing good football again now that he is gone.

Aaron Rodgers is his Tony Romo except a better version of that. This is another version of Garrett.

Mike McCarthy is an anchor on game day just like Garrett.
The only defense that I can see for McCarthy is that GB drafted poorly after losing their last GM and the talent he had to work with was not that impressive.

jnday

Reaction score
I would take Riley all day over McCarthy because Lincoln has upside and he would put a lot more energy into it then McCarthy would.

If it failed then so be it. Fire him and hire another.

I don’t want a coach that has been questioned about his offensive schemes and his main focus now is how he is going to prepare the team Monday-Saturday.

We’ve already had a coach that was good Monday-Saturday and bad on Sundays and Aaron Rodgers isn’t walking through that door and playing QB for Dallas.
I can just look at McCarthy and my energy level plummets . He is as exciting as a nerdy college professor and his mere presence makes drains any motivation and energy that may be present.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Nothing about this guy screams head coach, he is an offensive coordinator.

If my defenses were as bad as his defenses were in GB, I would spend my time learning more about that side of the ball.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Except all the success he's had as a head coach including 4 Championship game appearances and a Super Bowl title.

Other than that he's a coordinator.

Lets see him do it without Aaron Rodgers in his prime.

Preferably not in Dallas

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I'm not a McCarthy guy but his record speaks for itself. Considering how hot headed AR is he was probably lucky he was as successful as he was.

visionary

Reaction score
I think we would still be one of the most under coached teams on game day.

Chris Simms said he thinks McCarthy would be good here but also says Dallas and GB have been 2 of the worst teams schematically.

He says he’s spent more time figuring out what he wants to do as a program then offensively.

Jason Garrett had that part down. We need to be better on Sundays.

That whole part around 24:30 bothers me.

Just watch this interview. I’m not hiring this guy for this position. No upside.

Go to 1:35 in this video.

It talks about Aaron Rodgers believing that McCarthy has one of the lowest football IQs that he has been around and how he has to bail the offense out.

I agree
That is pretty damning
Pass

Zman5

Reaction score
I don’t want a coach that has the same weakness we already had and is trying to improve his Monday-Saturday approach that Garrett was already good at.

Aaron’s Rodgers isn’t coming with him and somehow the Packers are the 2 seed and playing good football again now that he is gone.

Aaron Rodgers is his Tony Romo except a better version of that. This is another version of Garrett.

Mike McCarthy is an anchor on game day just like Garrett.

What makes you think JG was good at Mon-Sat? Because Broaddus said so? If JG was good coach Mon-Sat, this team wouldn't be so unprepared or has all those slow starts. The way the team looked unprepared indicates the team didn't practice well through out the week. That's on the coaches and mainly on the HC.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
That was a good video. I can appreciate the work McCarthy is putting in to evaluate the game and himself.