Mike Nolan’s last stop as defensive coordinator

DuncanIso

Reaction score
LOL So this is daks fault too??
Just to clarify,
1. Jerry and his boy aka the jones boys, hired McCarthy
2.McCarthy hired Nolan, who he is friends with.

So only 2 to blame here , jones boys and MM.

And Jerry hired MM because he heard "BELLS !!!!!!!!!!" That pretty much explains everything.
if that makes no sense about the bells, well why would you expect anything following that to make sense or be logical??

The only thing I will say, is I think these coaches will be better than JG and his staff, so we are better off.
But I doubt MM is gonna start winning SB's anytime soon.

better off??

maybe.

but Marinelli coaching record is better than Nolan’s.

And that’s sad.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Patriots and Ravens couldn't stop Tennessee run game. GB couldn't stop SF run game. All three of those teams were bounced from the playoffs. Hell, Jimmy G threw for a whopping 77 yds in a blow out. The Rams run game killed us in the playoffs last year. Stopping the run definitely matters

Agree 100 percent .

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Nolan is the textbook definition of a retread. Glad to be rid of Rod and Richard but this guy isn’t exactly anything to get excited about

nolan stinks .

We lost KRichard.

This is not good news.

khiladi

Reaction score
contracts mean nothing to a billionaire owner, MM will get three years to show big improvement or Jerry will be happy to fire him and pay the remaining 2 years, and in a lot of cases are negotiated like a severance package and a rarely fully paid out..

theres no nepetism for this staff..if MM cant get it done he will be let go..

I hope, but Jerry made Callahan finish his contract on a technicality. Of course Callahan is an all world position coach. but we’ll see..

TWOK11

Reaction score
Patriots and Ravens couldn't stop Tennessee run game. GB couldn't stop SF run game. All three of those teams were bounced from the playoffs. Hell, Jimmy G threw for a whopping 77 yds in a blow out. The Rams run game killed us in the playoffs last year. Stopping the run definitely matters

Turnovers

None of those games were lost due to an inability to stop the run. You will never win a playoff game losing the TO battle 3-0.

blueblood70

Reaction score
nolan has a terrible coaching history.

i don’t feel comfortable ignoring the obvious.
no he doesnt its been up and down depending on the team and players..you cant hold that against him before he coaches are players..so yes your FAILED Ricard boy is gone get over it..

time to move on new coaches new era clean slate...give it a phacking break already the bleeding heart woesy me whining and complaining....

blueblood70

Reaction score
I hope, but Jerry made Callahan finish his contract on a technicality. Of course Callahan is an all world position coach. but we’ll see..
out of spite because BC wanted out, being let go is a different animal..jerry exercised his $$$$muscles...lol

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Turnovers

If the packers could stop the run the turnovers would have been irrelevant because they would have gotten the ball right back after forcing punts. None of the turnovers were pick Sixes. They just ran the ball down their throat over and over and over.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Its so hard to evaluate how a new coach to the organization is going to do. Time off gives these coaches a chance to look in the mirror and think about the way they do things and what happened. I was hoping they would hiring a defensive minded head coach but thanks to Dak the focus is always about helping him.
What's that old saying..

"the squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Squeaky Dak and the coming contract that is.

Before Dak...it was all about Romo.

Remember Romo Friendly.

It's now Devoted Dak.

Hiring McCarthy is all about Dak.

The defense under Nolan is bound to improve. Marinelli and Richard was just a bad match for us. Sort of like Rob Ryan as DC.

Hard to take and the person who hired them clearly does not know defense at the NFL level.

Jerrah front and center.

I also hoped for a defensive coach for us.

Ain't going to happen.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Rush efficiency is not correlated with winning.

In other words focusing myopically on how a team defends the run is silly.

Don't be silly.

Does this help? The last three Superbowl Champions and run defense ranking:

2018 New England Patriots 7th
2017 Philadelphia Eagles 1st
2016 New England Patriots 4th

Notice there was no one ranked 21st let alone 31st. Run defense does matter, I'm not being myopic. If you can't stop the run then the opposition controls the clock. If you can't stop the run then you have to commit an extra run defender and leave yourself open to the big pass.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Turnovers
well yes when your QB plays bad and throws 2 picks fumbles what 3 times loses one that kills the game plan..then the opposing team hold onto the ball even longer running and GB doesnt get enough opportunity's to come back..

but even without TOs like dak simply being very inaccurate making poor reads etc etc it handcuffs the coaches ..the titans and SF got smart dont let their average qbs have change to blow the game if they weren't needed..:)

blueblood70

Reaction score
What's that old saying..

"the squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Squeaky Dak and the coming contract that is.

Before Dak...it was all about Romo.

Remember Romo Friendly.

It's now Devoted Dak.

Hiring McCarthy is all about Dak.

The defense under Nolan is bound to improve. Marinelli and Richard was just a bad match for us. Sort of like Rob Ryan as DC.

Hard to take and the person who hired them clearly does not know defense at the NFL level.

Jerrah front and center.

I also hoped for a defensive coach for us.

Ain't going to happen.
true plus to add to that we have like 18 defensive players with contracts up, that give Nolan a shot at getting his type of guys all right now..no need to get few now and few later etc..he can overhaul this defense in one offseason with a smart draft and a few FAs

blueblood70

Reaction score
nolan stinks .

We lost KRichard.

This is not good news.
your luv affair with a coach who was FIRED from Seatle, the tam he started with and Croll who knew him best..
TOOK A REDUCED ROLE HERE AND NOW IS WITHOUT WORK IS LAUGHABLE..SEEK HELP MAN

we didnt lose KR we kicked his sorry *** out the door..lol

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Of all the things this team needs to improve upon the defense should be the easiest, they clearly underperformed last year, and yet I'm not that optimistic that Nolan can do it,,,, his track record looks like Rob Ryan's.

The defense is losing a lot of key players. Quinn. Bennett. Jones. Collins. These weren't the underperformers. We're keeping those, in DLaw, Jaylon, LVE, XWoods, Awuzie.

The defensive roster is likely a disaster. I don't hear them talking about bringing back any of the free agents who were actually performing.

blueblood70

Reaction score
last stop really OP coaches stay around along time and last I check you dont make those decsions.. I dont know much about Nolan and IDC what hes done prior..I will judge him solely on what he does here..ill give this staff a few seasons to get it going ..then il be harsh in my judgements..

its only fair

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
true plus to add to that we have like 18 defensive players with contracts up, that give Nolan a shot at getting his type of guys all right now..no need to get few now and few later etc..he can overhaul this defense in one offseason with a smart draft and a few FAs
That is exactly what is going to happen.

Defensive overhaul ahead.

The offense needs little but healing time and classroom time.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
better off??

maybe.

but Marinelli coaching record is better than Nolan’s.

And that’s sad.

Where it gets difficult to judge coordinators is not considering the head coaches they served under. In Tampa Bay, it wasn't Marinelli who installed the Tampa 2 system, it was Tony Dungy, a defensive-minded coach. When Marinelli became defensive coordinator in Chicago after his failed stint as a head coach, he was working under Lovie Smith, also a defensive-minded head coach. So before coming to Dallas, it was difficult to tell if any defensive success Marinelli had was because of him or because his head coaches installed their defenses and he ran them (much like Garrett installed his offense in Dallas).

We hired Marinelli to be our defensive coordinator under an offensive-minded head coach and the results weren't impressive.

Nolan has been defensive coordinator under Dan Reeves, an offensive-minded head coach; Norv Turner, an offensive-minded coach; Al Groh, a defensive-minded coach; Brian Billick, an offensive-minded coach; Josh McDaniels, an offensive-minded coach; Tony Sparano, an offensive-minded coach; and Mike Smith, a defensive-minded coach.

So at least in five of his stops as defensive coordinator, he was completely in charge of the defense. That makes it easier to judge how he'll perform in the position, but also means he cannot be judged against Marinelli directly unless we compare those five stops to Marinelli's time in Dallas.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
nolan stinks .

We lost KRichard.

This is not good news.
Not sure yet.

He is about to get a blank check to rebuild the defense with so many spots opening and draft picks to select.

Hope he is good at gambling.

We will know soon enough.