Mike Nolan’s last stop as defensive coordinator

TWOK11

Reaction score
If the packers could stop the run the turnovers would have been irrelevant because they would have gotten the ball right back after forcing punts. None of the turnovers were pick Sixes. They just ran the ball down their throat over and over and over.

This is just all kinds of ignorant

“The turnovers would have been irrelevant”

LOL, it’s the single most statistically significant star in football

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Does this help? The last three Superbowl Champions and run defense ranking:

2018 New England Patriots 7th
2017 Philadelphia Eagles 1st
2016 New England Patriots 4th

Notice there was no one ranked 21st let alone 31st. Run defense does matter, I'm not being myopic. If you can't stop the run then the opposition controls the clock. If you can't stop the run then you have to commit an extra run defender and leave yourself open to the big pass.
2016 New England defensive efficiency was 16th

2017 Philadelphia Eagels defensive efficiency was 4th

2018 Patriots defensive efficiency was 16th.

Almost like that great rush defense didn't help the Pats overall efficiency much at all huh?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
This is what he needs to succeed

If you can manage to get 3 DL that were top 5 picks in back to back years. 49ers DL are so good because they had some top picks like that.

Harvey Martin & LB Bob Breunig both 3rd rnd picks
Randy White - 1975 2nd overall pick
John Dutton - 1974 5th overall pick
Ed Jones - 1974 1st overall pick

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
We all know what the definition of insanity is, and one of the worst problems that this defense has had over the last 4 years is the inability to stop the run. You’d have thought there would be major changes to address that after the Rams’ playoff loss. Nope. Same old thing.

So, I looked up Mike Nolan’s defenses and their success against the run. Surely, his focus on a big, run-stuffing nose tackle will be a better approach.

Well, I have to say, I’m horrified. Whatever happened in Atlanta from 2012-2014 was a complete train wreck.

2012 - 21st in the league in defense against the run, then 31st, then 21st. OK, I thought, maybe rushing yards isn’t a fair way to evaluate the guy, how about yards per carry? Oh no, it’s even worse, 29th, 31st then 15th.

I took a peak into what was being written in 2014 and it isn’t pretty. https://bleacherreport.com/articles...e-nolan-and-hc-mike-smith-can-fix-the-defense

W
hat was written is that he had a terrible scheme that was inflexible and couldn’t adjust to the players’ strengths.

I don’t want to be pessimistic here from the beginning, but can someone explain to me why Mike Nolan is the answer to this team’s defensive woes?

Maybe Jerry thought it was Dick Nolan.

plymkr

Reaction score
We all know what the definition of insanity is, and one of the worst problems that this defense has had over the last 4 years is the inability to stop the run. You’d have thought there would be major changes to address that after the Rams’ playoff loss. Nope. Same old thing.

So, I looked up Mike Nolan’s defenses and their success against the run. Surely, his focus on a big, run-stuffing nose tackle will be a better approach.

Well, I have to say, I’m horrified. Whatever happened in Atlanta from 2012-2014 was a complete train wreck.

2012 - 21st in the league in defense against the run, then 31st, then 21st. OK, I thought, maybe rushing yards isn’t a fair way to evaluate the guy, how about yards per carry? Oh no, it’s even worse, 29th, 31st then 15th.

I took a peak into what was being written in 2014 and it isn’t pretty. https://bleacherreport.com/articles...e-nolan-and-hc-mike-smith-can-fix-the-defense

W
hat was written is that he had a terrible scheme that was inflexible and couldn’t adjust to the players’ strengths.

I don’t want to be pessimistic here from the beginning, but can someone explain to me why Mike Nolan is the answer to this team’s defensive woes?
Jerry didn't hire him, so he's the answer, lol.

Number1

Reaction score
I was very skeptical about the McCarthy hire at first. Then posters here persuaded me I was likely completely wrong and I think they were right.

Now I hope someone can make me feel better about Nolan. It sure seems like he’s never been that successful except for creating turnovers.

I wonder why McCarthy chose him.

there's an underlying assumption, MM was discussed and decision made entirely after the season

as if JJ hadn't thought about a list of potential coaches

there's no rule governing discussions with potential coaches not working in the NFL

and I have a hard time imaging MM and MN hadn't discussed how they'd approach their next jobs ... and might end up working together ... and talked football

I've never been impressed with MN or MM, but they know the game and this is not nearly the piece meal staff many imagine