Signed by Cowboys Mike Solari new OL coach

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I hate this hire, they should have gotten more of a modern OL coach who excels in today's concepts, not one 30 years ago. Solari has always been a good coach, but he is totally old schooled.
That is the offensive coordinators, not the OL coaches. Those guys are more like Callahan usually. The guys who put the offense together need to be creative and innovative. Lately that seems like it has been the young guys.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Duane Brown a pretty fair OT when he was in Seattle had good things to say about Solari . And the Seahawks always impressed me as tough up front team that had interchangeable backs but ran effectively .

I think the cards point to Schottenheimer as OC with MM maybe not being as cute and pass happy as KM’s offense . Look at what the run game has opened up for an otherwise below accurate QB in Philly . The issue in Dallas is who’s going to run the rock and it has to be a two to three back attack .

Jeff Wilson the Dolphin FA and Malik Davis could be a nice duo .

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
McCarthy will be the real OC now. Brian Schottenheimer probably gets the OC title and is already on staff. Solari has worked with them both.
It could be Rams assistant head coach Thomas Brown or Panthers running backs coach Jeff Nixon, both of whom have interviewed.

I actually like both of those guys, but I wouldn’t mind a coach off of McVay’s staff, at all, if I’m being completely honest. That guy is incredibly innovative and his assistants usually are too.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Solari’s résumé is about as diverse as the assortment of seasonings he represents, too. In terms of the blocking schemes Solari prefers, he is the definition of multiple. Offensive lines coached by Solari have shown a keen ability to use a wide variety of blocking schemes with effectiveness.

Perhaps Solari’s most productive stint was as the offensive line coach for the 49ers under Jim Harbaugh. There, Solari paired with offensive coordinator Greg Roman to create one of the most physical and varied offenses in the NFL at the time, and he also coached up some incredible talent including the likes of Anthony Davis, Alex Boone, Mike Iupati, and Joe Staley. In San Francisco, Solari’s units used a ton of power blocking concepts to field an efficient running game centered around Frank Gore, but they also employed zone blocking concepts with some regularity.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...line-coach-mike-mccarthy-brian-schottenheimer

Looking forward to seeing what he does on his second go around here considering that he's had two go arounds in SFO, and now 2 here.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Mark Brunnel former Jax QB has been Lions QB coach for 2 yrs. Goff looks much better and off his 2022 yr the Lions are ready to commit to him in that wide open division . The Lions actually commit to the run with a tandem of backs they go vertical in the passing game and a not so old former NFL QB who had success in the NFL might do wonders for Dak
as his OC.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It could be Rams assistant head coach Thomas Brown or Panthers running backs coach Jeff Nixon, both of whom have interviewed.

I actually like both of those guys, but I wouldn’t mind a coach off of McVay’s staff, at all, if I’m being completely honest. That guy is incredibly innovative and his assistants usually are too.

Perhaps we could get both? We could have Thomas Brown at OC and Nixon at RB coach. That'd be a nice lineup.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Mark Brunnel former Jax QB has been Lions QB coach for 2 yrs. Goff looks much better and off his 2022 yr the Lions are ready to commit to him in that wide open division . The Lions actually commit to the run with a tandem of backs they go vertical in the passing game and a not so old former NFL QB who had success in the NFL might fo wonders for Dak
as his OC
Well, and we did that with great success with Kitna. I think we should bring him or Mike McCoy in for QB coach.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting Seattle OLINE improved last year when he left. To be fair they hit on two OTs in the draft.

Seahawks
2021:
Rush Yards per Attempt 3rd
QB rating 4th

2020:
Rush Yards per Attempt 7th
QB rating 7th

2019:
Rush Yards per Attempt 9th
QB rating 4th
Total Rush Yards 4th

2018:
Rush Yards per Attempt 6th
QB rating 4th
Total Rush Yards 3rd

After Solari:
2022:
QB rating 4th
Total Rush Yards 18th

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Seahawks
2021:
Rush Yards per Attempt 3rd
QB rating 4th

2020:
QB rating 7th

2019:
Rush Yards per Attempt 9th
QB rating 4th
Total Rush Yards 4th

2018:
Rush Yards per Attempt 6th
QB rating 4th
Total Rush Yards 3rd

After Solari:
2022:
QB rating 4th
Total Rush Yards 18th
:laugh:

Mannix

Reaction score
1345458098.0.jpg
OMG....is that his face on his sweatshirt??? :laugh:

XXLMike

Reaction score
It’s signings like this that make the Rooney rule necessary.

This is a boys club nepotism move .

Lazy too .

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That is the offensive coordinators, not the OL coaches. Those guys are more like Callahan usually. The guys who put the offense together need to be creative and innovative. Lately that seems like it has been the young guys.
He is a seasoned OL coach with a strong track record, but I wanted more of a younger hire. You are right, it's more about the OC developing, an innovative scheme then it is the OL coach, however, we have seen some OL coaches become those run play coordinators. We already have our passing coordinator in MM, it's all about fixing the run scheme now. Scott is probably the favorite for the job, but I really want Greg Roman.

SexyDexy52

Reaction score
Need the story behind Coach Ketchup. Haven't heard that one
When Paul Alexander arrived in Dallas, the media ran stories about him and one of them was that he would assess a lineman's intelligence on if he knew or could figure out why there was a "57" on the Heinz ketchup bottle. Something to that effect. It was "feel good" type of article meant to calm the fans.

SexyDexy52

Reaction score
No, that’s not accurate. Jason Garrett chose to hire Paul Alexander over Mike Solari.
Going to have to agree to disagree with that because as I remember it was stated during a discussion about Garrett after Alexander had been fired and the reporter was actually sticking up for Garrett saying they thought they had Solari and had to scramble for someone once he signed elsewhere.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Going to have to agree to disagree with that because as I remember it was stated during a discussion about Garrett after Alexander had been fired and the reporter was actually sticking up for Garrett saying they thought they had Solari and had to scramble for someone once he signed elsewhere.
No problem. You did so respectfully.

Here’s a quote attributed to Todd Archer showing otherwise:

Per Archer, the Cowboys nearly hired Solari to be their OL coach back in 2018 before the Seahawks could, but then-head coach Jason Garrett ultimately chose Paul Alexander.

https://thespun.com/.amp/nfl/nfc-ea...s-reportedly-make-significant-coaching-change