Twitter: Mike Tag - DC4L

Jipper

Reaction score
Or has a different mindset about being a fan. Some people just can't stand to see them lose for any reason. Besides, having 3 wins doesn't necessarily preclude them from having a great draft, nor does having the #1 pick preclude them from having a terrible draft.

fair enough and you know I respect your opinion, let me bifurcate your points

on the first point that people can’t stand to see them lose for any reason...totally get it, and I guess you can chalk this season up to the “any reason “ group....but blind fandom in this case hoping for a win is though to understand since it actually hurts the chances next year

which brings me to point 2...you are spot on; 3 wins doesn’t mean a bad draft nor does having the first pick in each round mean a great draft; however there is a directional correlation with the higher the draft pick the higher the probability of success and as fans that’s all we can go on.

I get it and I’m not trying to challenge anyone’s “fandom” but this year is vastly different from any cowboys team in the past 30....I’ve never seen a team quit like this, even in the campo years, and for that reason I’m very firm on my position ,

but as always my friend I respect yours and your view

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
No matter where they go, we're not taking a quarterback in the first round.

You do realize the cap will likely be around $175M next year and might even be less or the same amount the following year. So how does pay Dak $35M+ and field a competitive team with less than $140M for the other 50 some players. Tank is $20M, Cooper is $20M, Zeke is around $12M, Jaylon is $9M, Martin is around $9. Throw in Tyron Smith and La'el Collins. Not much left for the others.

Backloading Dak's contract would not be something I would gamble on. I also wouldn't want to turn salary into bonus to just kick the can down the road.

If Lawrence or Fields is there, the Cowboys may be forced to choose one since they can't fit Dak and his demands under the cap.

That $175M cap number is going to have huge ramifications next year for a lot of teams.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You do realize the cap will likely be around $175M next year and might even be less or the same amount the following year. So how does pay Dak $35M+ and field a competitive team with less than $140M for the other 50 some players. Tank is $20M, Cooper is $20M, Zeke is around $12M, Jaylon is $9M, Martin is around $9. Throw in Tyron Smith and La'el Collins. Not much left for the others.

Backloading Dak's contract would not be something I would gamble on. I also wouldn't want to turn salary into bonus to just kick the can down the road.

If Lawrence or Fields is there, the Cowboys may be forced to choose one since they can't fit Dak and his demands under the cap.

That $175M cap number is going to have huge ramifications next year for a lot of teams.

Every year fans think we can't afford to pay this player or that player and yet we do, and then they fuss over the contracts. (Byron Jones is one of the few exceptions, and apparently the front office felt he wasn't worth what he would cost relative to the skill level of his possible replacements.) The cap is a moldable and always will be. If it's lower than the first-year hit will be lower, etc. If Dallas needs to move money around, it can restructure to get smaller cap hits immediately for players under big-money contracts.

The Joneses have shown that their philosophy is to pay their guys and shop cheaply for outside FAs. I see no reason to expect that to change.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That would be the one advantage to it. However, the Cowboys' front office does not believe in spending big in free agency, except on their own, so they are not saving the money for that. They believe in building through the draft and in that regard, they have bigger fish to fry than QB.

They gave Elliott a huge contract. They gave Lawrence a huge contract. I could keep going down the line. They are not averse to doing the same with Dak. The holdup wasn't money, but length. They wanted him for longer so that doesn't seem like a team that is looking to move on.

I'm sure Jerry wasn't planning on a top five/ten pick. Nor Dak breaking his ankle.

I think they *were* planning on signing Dak. A top high pick is a real chance to change things, depending on who is available.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm sure Jerry wasn't planning on a top five/ten pick. Nor Dak breaking his ankle.

I think they *were* planning on signing Dak. A top high pick is a real chance to change things, depending on who is available.

I'm sure he wasn't, but it isn't based on the QB play. The only thing that makes sense about the possibility of drafting a QB is saving the money it would cost to pay Dak, but you run the risk of that player turning out more like Wentz than Prescott. Dallas knows what it's got in Prescott.

You aren't always in position to pick high in the draft. Having your starting QB means that you can use that position to get a marquee player at another position. Replacing your marquee QB means you are just treading water unless you are an aggressive team in free agency, which we are not.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
fair enough and you know I respect your opinion, let me bifurcate your points

on the first point that people can’t stand to see them lose for any reason...totally get it, and I guess you can chalk this season up to the “any reason “ group....but blind fandom in this case hoping for a win is though to understand since it actually hurts the chances next year

which brings me to point 2...you are spot on; 3 wins doesn’t mean a bad draft nor does having the first pick in each round mean a great draft; however there is a directional correlation with the higher the draft pick the higher the probability of success and as fans that’s all we can go on.

I get it and I’m not trying to challenge anyone’s “fandom” but this year is vastly different from any cowboys team in the past 30....I’ve never seen a team quit like this, even in the campo years, and for that reason I’m very firm on my position ,

but as always my friend I respect yours and your view
I appreciate that very much, thank you, and of course, you know I reciprocate.

One more thing: They're not mathematically eliminated yet, and while it would be astronomically against the odds, as long as there's a chance, there are people who believe in magic.

I absolutely agree with all your points, particularly the probability of success (and considering who makes the decisions, the more obvious the choice, the better off we are) but if it's a choice between #1 and #3, or even #5, I'm not gonna be too hurt over winning one more game, especially if it's against one of our hated rivals, of which there are several still to play.

Hadenough

Reaction score

You make some very good points about the salary cap. If either of those QBs is there I dont see how Dallas can pass on them, especially when you havent even seen if Dak has fully recovered.

HanD

Reaction score
You make some very good points about the salary cap. If either of those QBs is there I dont see how Dallas can pass on them, especially when you havent even seen if Dak has fully recovered.

Dal has a 4-6 month timeframe. I think 6 would put him early mid April. The draft is end of April. I hope they know enough by then. If he's healed I'd love to trade back for a bevy of picks to build the def and future.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
No matter where they go, we're not taking a quarterback in the first round.
Before Daks injury..

I would have agreed.

But becuz of Daks injury..it has revealed more about the team than we knew.

For instance..how fragile the OL was.

And how many were believing with Dalton we had a backup who could start and could produce.

Both of those problems have now sorted themselves out.

OL is no longer our foundation and Dak means more to the team than just playing QB.

And Dalton is past his freshness date.

Those are 3 big topics that needed to be answered.

Now there is more defensively and that is its own thread.

But this thread asks about Lawrence.

Fields is an interesting player. Watching him does remind me of Dak.

My problem is he has only had last season and this one to be judged.

And this year has been good. But I wonder how much covid has hurt teams. Are teams playing their best against Fields?

Or is Fields playing well becuz his competion has not.?

Lawrence on the other hand has played well before and now during virus seasons.

You have to believe he is the better prospect.

Would we take him if we had the chance?

Absolutely.

I recall Jimster taking Steve Walsh the same year as Aikman.

I had seen Walsh a lot at UM and thought him better than Aikman at the time. But Walsh was later traded for a good draft pick so all worked out.

I could see us picking Lawrence and putting him at backup and signing Dak with the Tag and seeing what happens with Dak and the injury.

Then based on how Dak and the team plays..decide what to do.

Fields might also fit the same scenario. Defense will still be built by other high draft picks and FAs but we would have 2 quality options to go forward with at QB.

QBs are so important you have to try to weight things very carefully and manage the situation with a Clear Eyed View.

If you later let Dak go you save cap space with Fields on a rookie deal. You then have more cap to put around Fields.

If you keep Dak..you have to pay him becuz a 3rd Tag would be very very expensive. But if you trade Fields you are going to get your #1 pick back plus maybe interest in the investment.

That again could go towards defense in the 2022 draft or whereever we still need help.

So to me a lot can be done without cutting off any options early on until you really know more.

We still have to see if Big Mike can lead this team. We need to know if the staff is set to go forward or do more changes need to be figured out.

Players need to grow and we need to see who stays and who goes. Cooper Tank and Zeke especially. Tyrone Smith has to be decided as does Jaylon and Aldon Smith.

So we have a lot to be looking at now. 2020 is like a big long TC for us to address all the questions.

Let's get started and let the finger pointing end.

This season has brought us and this Franchise back to earth.

Not a problem as long as we learn from our mistakes.

:omg:

shabazz

Reaction score
I’ll take Dak. He’s proven.

He’s proven to be a 1-2 Qb in the playoffs......but it’s a moot point because he won’t be here next season

Mahomes on the other hand Is really a PROVEN Qb that shines in the big games. 4-1 playoff record

Hard to believe that some still think Dakota will be here next season.

#tankforTrevor

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Dal has a 4-6 month timeframe. I think 6 would put him early mid April. The draft is end of April. I hope they know enough by then. If he's healed I'd love to trade back for a bevy of picks to build the def and future.

This is how a good FO would do it....of course this doesn't fit the "anyone but Dak" crowd, but remeber these are the same guys who would be screaming "Don't pay your QB" in 4 years when that "Franchise QB" wanted to get paid also....they just want to draft a new franchise QB every three years...its really that simple I'm not sure why every NFL team doesn't cut ties with thier top tier QB and just grab a cheaper rookie to do the same thing.....I can't think of a better situation for a "Rookie QB'" here you go Goldie Locks you better put up 40 + a game because we drafted YOU instead of fixing the defense and they SUCK something bad.....have fun with that!

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
He’s proven to be a 1-2 Qb in the playoffs......but it’s a moot point because he won’t be here next season

Mahomes on the other hand Is really a PROVEN Qb that shines in the big games. 4-1 playoff record

Hard to believe that some still think Dakota will be here next season.

#tankforTrevor
I agree.

I think it's becuz many think they know Jerrah and he has his favorites..Dak being one.

But really things have changed.

We are progressing away from Ground and Pound to throwing to win with 3 big play WRs for this season and next.

The need to have 5 All Pro OL is no longer doable. Zeke is going to be depended on less and Pollard will play more to get some speed out of HB.

I think that bodes well for Zeke. He needs less carries and needs to be fresher when he is in the game. The shift to passing prolongs his career.

We shall see.

garyo1954

Reaction score
We are progressing away from Ground and Pound to throwing to win with 3 big play WRs for this season and next.
I think that bodes well for Zeke. He needs less carries and needs to be fresher when he is in the game. The shift to passing prolongs his career.

The most carries Zeke has had this year is 22 in our first two games. Since then he's averaging 14.7 (say 15 carries a game). Going back to the 9th game last year he's averaged 17 carries. 28 against the Jets is the most he's carried the ball in 2 years.

There are two plans at work here.....

1) Big Mac wants to get the ball to the backs in space.
2) Makes sense to Uncle Jerry since he wants to prolong Elliott's career (and preserve some value).

Seems the real question is: Do we use this guy for what he was drafted to do, or do we preserve any trade value?