Video: Mike White: Processing Speed and Decision Making

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You think he’s as good as those you mentioned?

QB is not like say OL where and OL in the SEC is going to have athletic 300 lbs DT as opposed ot the scrubs you see in FCS or similar matchups.

QBs have to read defenses, sense pressure, etc.

And White is not a very good foot athlete like Wentz or Romo though he does have good size. He needs to be smart to succeed in the NFL at QB. The video is encouraging.

sbark

Reaction score
Similar to Romo, Wentz, Simms, Roth (MAC) not much better.
seems to me, if a guy has "it", he has the it--the instincts, takes some curve to adjust to the speed of the nfl, but its easier to speed up instincts if you have them in the 1st place than try and create the instincs.......

same with even LB position......S.Lee has it, no matter the athletism of others, they cannot seem to get to a S.Lee level, hope LVE has them, appears so

can add to your list the Super bowl winning rams Qb from UNI, same conf. as Wentz, Joe Flaco and more....

keysersoze

Reaction score
QB is not like say OL where and OL in the SEC is going to have athletic 300 lbs DT as opposed ot the scrubs you see in FCS or similar matchups.

QBs have to read defenses, sense pressure, etc.

And White is not a very good foot athlete like Wentz or Romo though he does have good size. He needs to be smart to succeed in the NFL at QB. The video is encouraging.
Reading lower level college defenses is much different than reading the complicated schemes and fits of an nfl defense tho. It’s ok to be optimistic. But let’s hold off on the Yellow Jacket and anointing oil until proven on a professional level.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I find it odd...he doesn’t get into the decision making when it’s not good?
I haven't watched all the videos posted but this one is pretty good.

Yeah,I’ve been watching some film on him. This one focuses on his reads,which I also liked about him after viewing some breakdowns. It’s the pressure making decisions with a rusher at him...that worried me. I don’t know at what pct that can be coached out? I’m glad they drafted him though,he’s not a bad pick at all if you’re sitting there not 100% needing a QB,but aren’t 100% sold on your situation,and looking to bring in someone who does have some legitimate NFL qualities you can develop. And it’s a 5th...which isn’t going to make or break a teams draft. This may be my fav pick,if not for the simple reason it was a wise decision by the FO. Shows a change in thinking. They aren’t interested in vet FAs,and have no bones about drafting them. Old Dallas? They’d be out drinking,and carefree thinking it’s all good.

Last edited:

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Before you get all giddy and make a mess all over yourself. Please take into consideration the level of talent he’s playing against.
That’s not the point of the video,and the level is irrelevant. Look at the fronts he’s facing. That’s an NFL front,with good LB pre-snap showings. That’s big league plays regardless. Had to make an instant read,recognized it correctly,and made the play. Yes he has weaknesses too,and we’ll get into all those more. But if I’m a staff,and I want to take a flyer on a kid who isn’t going to break my bank,this is a excellent choice.

keysersoze

Reaction score
That’s not the point of the video,and the level is irrelevant. Look at the fronts he’s facing. That’s an NFL front,with good LB pre-snap showings. That’s big league plays regardless. Had to make an instant read,recognized it correctly,and made the play. Yes he has weaknesses too,and we’ll get into all those more. But if I’m a staff,and I want to take a flyer on a kid who isn’t going to break my bank,this is a excellent choice.
So you believe he’s that good because of one play? Really???? What about the bad news lays we aren’t seeing? Like my grandfather used to say “Everyone gets lucky on occasion. The sun even shines on a dog’s *** every now and then “... lol

Chrispierce

Reaction score
So you believe he’s that good because of one play? Really???? What about the bad news lays we aren’t seeing? Like my grandfather used to say “Everyone gets lucky on occasion. The sun even shines on a dog’s *** every now and then “... lol
I don’t think he’s great. He’s a guy who has warts,but also shows NFL traits. I’m not a biased fan...I’m more your UMP calling the balls and strikes,no one likes. I’m not going to give the home team a friendly strike zone because of popular opinion. But anyways,It’s not one play. I was watching some breakdowns on him. Saw enough of these scenarios. He’s a good reader,and has a good quick release. He can hurt some defenses with that release of his,but also hurt your team when under pressure. I didn’t know anything about this guy,and like you was thinking ...”Who? Brilliant....another scout team guy.” But once you start doing the homework on him,you can see why it’s not a bad proposition to kick the tires on for cheap. Doesn’t mean he’s going to work out at all,but I’d rather them be out kicking tires on young talent like this,than just doing what they were doing. “Sanchez....you’re up.”

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Reading lower level college defenses is much different than reading the complicated schemes and fits of an nfl defense tho. It’s ok to be optimistic. But let’s hold off on the Yellow Jacket and anointing oil until proven on a professional level.

Thanks, Captain Obvious. I said it was encouraging ie that he has a shot to be worth a roster spot. No one is putting him in Canton.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Not necessarily. It could be a good barometer to judge talent.
Maybe but then you ask yourself why hasn’t any Alabama QB worked out since thy played great competition. I don’t think many Big 12 QBs has worked out well. Sometimes when you have it and you’re talented as well as smart, you can produce and excel at the next level.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Maybe but then you ask yourself why hasn’t any Alabama QB worked out since thy played great competition. I don’t think many Big 12 QBs has worked out well. Sometimes when you have it and you’re talented as well as smart, you can produce and excel at the next level.
Good point. Can’t argie that!!! It’s just weird to see people wish for Dak to fail just to insert White or Rush. I’m just saying. Our incumbent quarterback has a record of 22-11 including the playoff loss in 2 seasons. What else can they really expect at this point in his career?
But if Dak continues to fail this season and another quarterback is best for the team, then change should be made.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Good point. Can’t argie that!!! It’s just weird to see people wish for Dak to fail just to insert White or Rush. I’m just saying. Our incumbent quarterback has a record of 22-11 including the playoff loss in 2 seasons. What else can they really expect at this point in his career?
But if Dak continues to fail this season and another quarterback is best for the team, then change should be made.
That’s how it is with QBs in Dallas...traditionally so. They are hyper criticized. You’re only loved here in your first year,and then after long as you’re doing good. Look like crap? “Booooo!! Get off the field you stinkin no good bum!! You’re a money thief and a fraud!!! And I’m going to make a lowlight video of all you’re picks,to show everyone what a loser you truly are!!! So take that Aikman...you’re finished!! Ya hear me...finished!!!” Looool

Brooksey

Reaction score
It's just a matter of time before he supplants Dak Prescott. Better arm, better accuracy and can read a defense better. Mike White..coming soon