Video: Mike White: Processing Speed and Decision Making

morasp

Reaction score
I find it odd...he doesn’t get into the decision making when it’s not good?
Yeah,I’ve been watching some film on him. This one focuses on his reads,which I also liked about him after viewing some breakdowns. It’s the pressure making decisions with a rusher at him...that worried me. I don’t know at what pct that can be coached out? I’m glad they drafted him though,he’s not a bad pick at all if you’re sitting there not 100% needing a QB,but aren’t 100% sold on your situation,and looking to bring in someone who does have some legitimate NFL qualities you can develop. And it’s a 5th...which isn’t going to make or break a teams draft. This may be my fav pick,if not for the simple reason it was a wise decision by the FO. Shows a change in thinking. They aren’t interested in vet FAs,and have no bones about drafting them. Old Dallas? They’d be out drinking,and carefree thinking it’s all good.

One thing I noticed in White's highlight videos was that he seemed to have good pocket presence a little like Romo. In one throw he does Romo's spin move to the lest resets and finds the target. If I had to put a criticism on Dak, he could improve on his pocket presence.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Before you get all giddy and make a mess all over yourself. Please take into consideration the level of talent he’s playing against.
That's a fair point and should be weighed accordingly alongside the level of talent he played with.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Dak, he could improve on his pocket presence.
he's pocket presence was noted in his scouting reports. We seen it last year slow on reads, late throws.

here's his scouting report. if it's not true then you can label me and the scout and a hater, because that's what you we see.

Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. In another words, the "glitch" sets in on him.

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
It's just a matter of time before he supplants Dak Prescott. Better arm, better accuracy and can read a defense better. Mike White..coming soon
I take it you haven’t watched all or nothing series yet, Jerry talks of Daks Jersey sales no way anyone takes over for him, barring injury

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Reading lower level college defenses is much different than reading the complicated schemes and fits of an nfl defense tho. It’s ok to be optimistic. But let’s hold off on the Yellow Jacket and anointing oil until proven on a professional level.

That applies to every QB who is drafted. So many big name college QB have entered the NFL and failed. Hard to say what White will or will not do at this level. Seems his biggest issues was taking sacks. Arm is reported as strong, good accuracy on deep balls yet soft touch on shorter routs. How much of the sack issue was on poor protection and how much on him? Seems he has some talent, how much is yet to be determined

Rayman70

Reaction score
Not rocket science, ITS FOOTBALL. Yes,the guy can produce and at worst will be a decent career back up for 10 years. That still makes this a smart pick. At best,he beats Dak out in 2019.

John813

Reaction score
I take it you haven’t watched all or nothing series yet, Jerry talks of Daks Jersey sales no way anyone takes over for him, barring injury

I dunno. If the starting QB for Dallas isn't Hutch/Quincy bad, and the cowboys are winning, it will be top seller.

morasp

Reaction score
By pretty good, I’m assuming you mean he’s going to the hall of fame like @keysersoze said. Because that makes perfect sense.

I just meant the video is pretty good. As always, people are free to form their own conclusions about the player. Living in Kentucky I didn't watch their games but I did watch one of his interviews with the local media and he does seem to have some moxie.

Last edited:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I just meant the video is pretty good. As always, people are free to form their own conclusions about the player. Living in Kentucky I didn't watch their games but I did watch one of his interviews with the local media and he does seem to have some moxie.
Yeah. I know what you meant. That was my point. All you said was he looked “pretty good” and dude jumped all over that. Said something about hall of fame. Seemed odd.

I’m in Ky too. Go Big Blue!

keysersoze

Reaction score
Yeah. I know what you meant. That was my point. All you said was he looked “pretty good” and dude jumped all over that. Said something about hall of fame. Seemed odd.

I’m in Ky too. Go Big Blue!
No. What seems odd is how you and a few others here want Dak to fail just so Rush or White can take his job. Like I said before. Dak is 22-11 in two years as the starter. Saved what we all assumed would be a 5-11 season when Romo went down in the 2016 preseason. And this is the respect given to him because he played worse in 2017 along with many others on the team. Most of whom were seasoned veterans. Yeah!!! Makes perfectly good sense. If you can identify the true agenda.

Last edited:

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
This kid is going to be interesting to watch. He is more in line with what Garrett's offense calls for. He is big, tough, moves in the pocket well, good arm, smart and makes good decisions. Now he wasn't facing very complicated defenses so we will have to see how well he can process information at this level. But if he can do that, It wouldn't surprise me if he takes over for Dak. The offense that Garrett runs in the passing game is more of a timing base, hit the back foot, hitch, release. But to do that, you really need to know where you are going with the ball before the snap and trust that your wR will be there. I don't know if this kid will amount to anything but I think he has a chance and if he can put it together, I think he could be pretty darn good at some point. It's going to be fun to watch him in the preseason.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
No. What seems odd is how you and a few others here want Dak to fail just so Rush or White can take his job. Like I said before. Dak is 22-11 in two years as the starter. Saved what we all assumed would be a 5-11 season when Romo went down in the 2016 preseason. And this is the respect given to him because he played worse in 2017 along with many others on the team. Most of whom were seasoned veterans. Yeah!!! Makes perfectly good sense. If you can identify the true agenda.

You can go on and on about 22-11,, or rookie of the year, or tight window throws, etc, whatever makes you sleep better at night. But none of that improves the limited talent that Dak has or that when he was asked to do more last year, he failed in grand fashion. Now, not saying we can't or won't win with Dak as the QB, I think we can but it won't be because Dak is a great QB. it will be because our D is dominant and our run game can't be stopped. Dak is a game manager, bus driver, what ever term you want to use. Teams have won with that type of QB before, but mainly due to having a dominate D.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Before you get all giddy and make a mess all over yourself. Please take into consideration the level of talent he’s playing against.

White is a developmental Qb which is all your going to get at the point of the draft he was taken. Romo went undrafted and didn't see the field his first 3 years. Some of these QBs can improve as players with the right coaching.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
If you can show me one post where I said anything remotely close I’ll pay off your mortgage. Or buy you a second house if it’s paid off already.

That may be the most I’ll informed post I’ve seen. Well, you getting hall of fame from “looks pretty good”
was worse.

I love Dak. My 6 year old son has an 80$ Dak jersey. That’s a lot of money for me for a shirt. I’ve only defended Dak.

You're possibly being a little defensive about Dak and overreacting.
A lot.

keysersoze

Reaction score
You can go on and on about 22-11,, or rookie of the year, or tight window throws, etc, whatever makes you sleep better at night. But none of that improves the limited talent that Dak has or that when he was asked to do more last year, he failed in grand fashion. Now, not saying we can't or won't win with Dak as the QB, I think we can but it won't be because Dak is a great QB. it will be because our D is dominant and our run game can't be stopped. Dak is a game manager, bus driver, what ever term you want to use. Teams have won with that type of QB before, but mainly due to having a dominate D.
I disagree. Dak didn’t have the luxury of sitting for several years to develop. He HAD to come in and save our season because Romo The Great was hurt yet again. This season will tell us a lot about what Dak can or cannot do. But to assume a rookie quarterback from a college in a weak conference can out do him is laughable at best.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I disagree. Dak didn’t have the luxury of sitting for several years to develop. He HAD to come in and save our season because Romo The Great was hurt yet again. This season will tell us a lot about what Dak can or cannot do. But to assume a rookie quarterback from a college in a weak conference can out do him is laughable at best.

Oh there are plenty of rookie QB than can and would run circles around Dak. Never said we had one on our team, but it wouldn't surprise me to see M. White take his job at some point in the future although I don't think it will be this year. I think the staff is in ride or die mode with Dak for whatever reason. . Dak is just simply not very talented as a QB.

keysersoze

Reaction score
If you can show me one post where I said anything remotely close I’ll pay off your mortgage. Or buy you a second house if it’s paid off already.

That may be the most I’ll informed post I’ve seen. Well, you getting hall of fame from “looks pretty good”
was worse.

I love Dak. My 6 year old son has an 80$ Dak jersey. That’s a lot of money for me for a shirt. I’ve only defended Dak.

You're possibly being a little defensive about Dak and overreacting.
A lot.
I never accused YOU of saying that. But many others have. I made a mistake and meant to respond to someone else. I’m new to these forums and still learning how to navigate. My bad

Last edited:

keysersoze

Reaction score
Oh there are plenty of rookie QB than can and would run circles around Dak. Never said we had one on our team, but it wouldn't surprise me to see M. White take his job at some point in the future although I don't think it will be this year. I think the staff is in ride or die mode with Dak for whatever reason. . Dak is just simply not very talented as a QB.
That’s you opinion. But I call BS. Doesn’t Dak currently hold a couple of rookie quarterback records?

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
That’s you opinion. But I call BS. Doesn’t Dak currently hold a couple of rookie quarterback records?
Im sure RG3 had some records too. Didn't make him a talented QB either. I am predicting 10-11 wins in 2018 so it's not like I think we will suck with Dak as the Qb. But if you want more than a game manager, he is not that. That's all.