Mike Zimmer expectations

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A lot is being said already about Mike coming in here and being this no non sense coach. It first off goes to show you how bad of a team we've been, since so many people are stressing this is what we need on defense. A guy that can come in here and challenge players , tell them about themselves and not care!

All of that sounds good, it's good to bring up in the forums, but how can we be assured that this will happen?? Our defense was good under Quinn coming off having Nolan for that time period. Things went south with Quinn, and he's moved on.

What are REAL expectations that we can expect from Zim without over exaggerating things. I mean can we at least see what he has to say in his press conference, then on field?? Hoping for the best, it all sounds good though! Please give your thoughts, can he rally this team together all throughout the season. I hear people saying he needs to get players off this team who aren't doing right, how can you do that exactly with a salary cap/penalties???

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Bring a gap sound defense where all players know their fits.
Tough players who will set the edge correctly
Mix of zone and man coverage with players playing great technique
And not having all the players he needs to produce a top defense that is sound in every area, just like with Quinn.

Fans will blame the defensive coordinator when the failure is the front office's. The front office did not go out and upgrade the linebacker spot. The front office for years has failed to make DT a strength. Coaches can try their best to work around weaknesses, but doing that only creates other vulnerabilities.

Quinn's going to have issues in Washington as well unless he's given the players to make his defense work. Zimmer will fare no better here unless he's given the players to make his defense work.

loublue22

Reaction score
Ringer NFL Show today, Ben Solak says a lot of good things about him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear people saying he needs to get players off this team who aren't doing right, how can you do that exactly with a salary cap/penalties???
When you are talking about managing the salary cap, you know where it all begins.

calico

Reaction score
I expect a defense that gets almost zero turn overs and bends all over the field.

plasticman

Reaction score
https://bvmsports.com/2024/02/09/mi...n the defensive line and linebacker positions.

"The Cowboys have hired Mike Zimmer as their new defensive coordinator. Zimmer's scheme emphasizes simulated pressures and the split mug front to generate pass rush without blitzing. He prioritizes stopping the run to make offenses one-dimensional and has a preference for bigger bodies in the defensive line and linebacker positions."

By the Numbers
  • Zimmer's defenses are usually near the bottom of the league in blitz rate (more than four pass rushers).
  • Zimmer's scheme often utilizes bigger bodies, such as 330-350 pound defensive linemen, and linebackers around 245-255 pounds.
State of Play
  • Zimmer's arrival as the defensive coordinator marks a shift in defensive strategy for the Cowboys.
  • Zimmer's emphasis on simulated pressures and run defense signifies a change in defensive tactics from the previous coordinator, Dan Quinn.
Bottom Line
Zimmer's hiring represents a strategic shift for the Cowboys, focusing on creative pass rush techniques and strong run defense to reshape the team's defensive identity.

Thorn

Reaction score
And not having all the players he needs to produce a top defense that is sound in every area, just like with Quinn.

Fans will blame the defensive coordinator when the failure is the front office's. The front office did not go out and upgrade the linebacker spot. The front office for years has failed to make DT a strength. Coaches can try their best to work around weaknesses, but doing that only creates other vulnerabilities.

Quinn's going to have issues in Washington as well unless he's given the players to make his defense work. Zimmer will fare no better here unless he's given the players to make his defense work.
Front office had nothing to do with the DL running up the field every snap. Quinn ran a gimmick scheme.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot is being said already about Mike coming in here and being this no non sense coach. It first off goes to show you how bad of a team we've been, since so many people are stressing this is what we need on defense. A guy that can come in here and challenge players , tell them about themselves and not care!

All of that sounds good, it's good to bring up in the forums, but how can we be assured that this will happen?? Our defense was good under Quinn coming off having Nolan for that time period. Things went south with Quinn, and he's moved on.

What are REAL expectations that we can expect from Zim without over exaggerating things. I mean can we at least see what he has to say in his press conference, then on field?? Hoping for the best, it all sounds good though! Please give your thoughts, can he rally this team together all throughout the season. I hear people saying he needs to get players off this team who aren't doing right, how can you do that exactly with a salary cap/penalties???
67 years old and just got tons of pennies from heaven.
At his age being able to go to the bathroom in the morning (#2) and he's a happy camper.
GL Mr.Zimmer and enjoy the freebie one-year ride!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
https://bvmsports.com/2024/02/09/mike-zimmers-defensive-strategy-simulated-pressures-run-defense-focus/#:~:text=Zimmer's scheme emphasizes simulated pressures and the split,bodies in the defensive line and linebacker positions.

"The Cowboys have hired Mike Zimmer as their new defensive coordinator. Zimmer's scheme emphasizes simulated pressures and the split mug front to generate pass rush without blitzing. He prioritizes stopping the run to make offenses one-dimensional and has a preference for bigger bodies in the defensive line and linebacker positions."

By the Numbers
  • Zimmer's defenses are usually near the bottom of the league in blitz rate (more than four pass rushers).
  • Zimmer's scheme often utilizes bigger bodies, such as 330-350 pound defensive linemen, and linebackers around 245-255 pounds.
State of Play
  • Zimmer's arrival as the defensive coordinator marks a shift in defensive strategy for the Cowboys.
  • Zimmer's emphasis on simulated pressures and run defense signifies a change in defensive tactics from the previous coordinator, Dan Quinn.
Bottom Line
Zimmer's hiring represents a strategic shift for the Cowboys, focusing on creative pass rush techniques and strong run defense to reshape the team's defensive identity.
I like this but let's not get carried away........there are very few run-first teams out there. Most put the ball in the hands of their QB and run to keep the offense honest. I think when the team played us, we were an exception coz they their chances of success were pretty high. As Jordan Love told Parsons, we had a safety playing LBer. My point is yes, we need to improve our run defense but I hope our pass defense isn't sacrificed.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Zimmer on his first day looks around and sees all the same clowns that got dog walked against Green Bay and can't believe ownership didn't change a single thing.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Improve the run defense, defend motion offenses better.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Zimmer on his first day looks around and sees all the same clowns that got dog walked against Green Bay and can't believe ownership didn't change a single thing.
loooooooooooooooool then he's the scapegoat and we hate him

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like this but let's not get carried away........there are very few run-first teams out there. Most put the ball in the hands of their QB and run to keep the offense honest. I think when the team played us, we were an exception coz they their chances of success were pretty high. As Jordan Love told Parsons, we had a safety playing LBer. My point is yes, we need to improve our run defense but I hope our pass defense isn't sacrificed.
WOW this is my biggest fear, we will focus so much on the run that we will give up passing yards, why can't we just have consistency

Rayman70

Reaction score
we won 36 games in 3 years. Thats really really outstanding and hard to do. Thats why I think Zimmer and MM are set up for failure. The expectations will be at least 10 wins. I think 10 is a high bar if everything goes right. If things go wrong, they will go wrong huge. And early. I can see as few as 6 wins with this schedule and staff /team as currently constructed. Now if we can draft a bell cow like Ray Davis, and a couple good players on defense,with the right dline coach, who knows. A great running game and line can mask many deficiencies on defense via ball control.