Mike Zimmer expectations

MikeT22

Reaction score
The ones who want to be great, they want to be coached," Zimmer said. "There's a lot more social media. There's a lot more of the outside stuff going on. The ones I have been around the young guys, the ones that want to be great, they want to be coached. They want to study. They want to understand how they can get better. Most all the great players, they want know, 'How can you make me better?'"

Reactions: CWR

GMO415

Reaction score
Sabotage the team, so he will be the new HC in 2025.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
we won 36 games in 3 years. Thats really really outstanding and hard to do. Thats why I think Zimmer and MM are set up for failure. The expectations will be at least 10 wins. I think 10 is a high bar if everything goes right. If things go wrong, they will go wrong huge. And early. I can see as few as 6 wins with this schedule and staff /team as currently constructed. Now if we can draft a bell cow like Ray Davis, and a couple good players on defense,with the right dline coach, who knows. A great running game and line can mask many deficiencies on defense via ball control.
10 wins???

I expect 17 wins!!!

Buzzbait

Reaction score
And not having all the players he needs to produce a top defense that is sound in every area, just like with Quinn.

Fans will blame the defensive coordinator when the failure is the front office's. The front office did not go out and upgrade the linebacker spot. The front office for years has failed to make DT a strength. Coaches can try their best to work around weaknesses, but doing that only creates other vulnerabilities.

Quinn's going to have issues in Washington as well unless he's given the players to make his defense work. Zimmer will fare no better here unless he's given the players to make his defense work.
gimmesix we all know to be a fact that Quinn didn't have the best possible players to work with, and the front office is primarily to blame for that, but who is to blame for what Quinn did in the Green Bay game?
Quinn played Zone defense against Green Bay, despite the fact we normally played man. WHY?? Green Bay's receivers were getting ridiculously wide open. Our pass defense was terrible and so was our run defense, and no adjustments.
Whose fault was that worthless zone defense?
Our whole defense was horrible in that game, 48 points worth of horrible, and I hold DQ personally responsible for that.

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
Nah, losing in the playoffs should also be expected, no matter how our regular-season goes.
I mean if were going to fantasize about an undefeated regular season I figured take it all the way. That's fair though.

McMicah

Reaction score
Man from his press conference, he didn’t really seem like a guy dying to coach football. He seemed like a guy leveraging a buddy to get a job that serves as his comfort zone.

That’s a cynical read, but he didn’t even seem familiar with who the major players were. When asked if he watched tape when he was away he was like ‘alot of reflection’ which means ‘no’.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
A lot is being said already about Mike coming in here and being this no non sense coach. It first off goes to show you how bad of a team we've been, since so many people are stressing this is what we need on defense. A guy that can come in here and challenge players , tell them about themselves and not care!

All of that sounds good, it's good to bring up in the forums, but how can we be assured that this will happen?? Our defense was good under Quinn coming off having Nolan for that time period. Things went south with Quinn, and he's moved on.

What are REAL expectations that we can expect from Zim without over exaggerating things. I mean can we at least see what he has to say in his press conference, then on field?? Hoping for the best, it all sounds good though! Please give your thoughts, can he rally this team together all throughout the season. I hear people saying he needs to get players off this team who aren't doing right, how can you do that exactly with a salary cap/penalties???
I don't expect squat from the Cowboys as long as we have amateur GM in charge.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Like any other DC, Zimmer will be highly reliant upon the talent that he's awarded during his tenure. I wish him well, but this FO certainly has its work cut out for them to provide Zimmer with what he'll need to succeed. The talent that management is able to provide will determine Zimmer's destiny!

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
I'm not hopeful it will get much better. He needs a lot of new players and the team is 'all in' this year, so we need immediate success despite new scheme, new playcaller, new players. It is a lot.

I think we will struggle at first as players adjust and then become more middle of the pack by years end.

Redline360

Reaction score
Honestly I'm not sure how he's going to do if we don't invest heavily in LB or DTs.

Then I'm concerned about our country club mentality and the players quitting on him.

Big_D

Reaction score
I expect more discipline and a coach who runs a traditional 4/3 which places more of an emphasis on DT and LB.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I think we'll be more physical, mentally tough and more disciplined
I hope you are right but the transition to a tough coach typically comes with a purge of veterans and a rebuild with young players. I fear the tough love will not be well received with this team as currently constructed. Tough love can have the opposite effect without the buy in from the players. People have been yelling at Sam Williams his entire life. He does not care. He will do what he wants. What that guy desperately needed was someone like D Flaw or Parsons to man up and show him the proper way. Alas neither one did. If anything they only teach him new tricks and new bad habits. The inmates are running the asylum. If you are hoping a 70 year old clown show is gonna come in here and earn their respect I think you might be dreaming.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I mean if were going to fantasize about an undefeated regular season I figured take it all the way. That's fair though.
Well, us winning regular-season games isn't too far-fetched of a fantasy. We even went 13-3 under Garrett. 17-0 with our schedule might be a dream, but us winning in the playoffs (at least more than one game) is like alternate universe stuff.

Reactions: CWR

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Honestly I'm not sure how he's going to do if we don't invest heavily in LB or DTs.

Then I'm concerned about our country club mentality and the players quitting on him.
Depending on what he does with Parsons, I don't know how heavily he has to invest in LB. We don't know how Overshown will turn out, but he did show some promise in camp and I don't think we need to give up on Clark. What we need to do is find a stud in the middle. Of course, not too many studs make it to the bargain bin.

At DT, we've been badly in need of a top 3-tech for years. There are several of them headed for FA this year if they don't get franchised or re-signed (Jones, Madubuike, Wilkins) although someone like Leonard Williams might be best we could hope for, and is probably still just a pipe dream considering what we spend on outside FAs. At NT, we'll probably end up keeping Hankins because he's cheap, but would love someone like Reader to upgrade the spot or even A'Shawn Robinson.

Creeper

Reaction score
"Competitiveness. Being technique-oriented. Being fundamental. Disciplined. Those are the kinds of things that kind of get me grouchy."

That's a quote from Zimmer this week. These are all things Dallas needs desperately. If he can succeed in changing the culture on defense to bring these things to Dallas, I think the defense will be much better.