Mike Zimmer expectations

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I liked Stanback's appraisal of the situation that there's little doubt about the schemes he runs and his overall philosophy of defense but that not all players respond well to getting yelled at. Some guys can go into a shell. Call them whatever you want but I know both kinds of coaches from personal experience and I know I respond better to calm rationality as opposed to in-your-face borderline berating.
From what I understand, Zimmer is not a "berater"...he's just not going to kiss your rear end. That actually feels like a dis to these young kids, but it's actually just being a professional.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Our expectations are irrelevant. The expectations of the FO are...nothing. Strategic shift? Please. There is nothing strategic about Daddy and Son. Quinn and his garbage scheme would still be here today if he hadn't accepted the job in No-Name country. Jerry didn't want to change a single thing.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Why do people here keep thinking Quinn replaced Nolan?

stiletto

Reaction score
frustrated-a-league-of-their-own.gif

plasticman

Reaction score
Sounds like we don't currently have the players to run his scheme.
In some respects, we have the opposite.

Our LB's are small and quick. Zimmer wants them big and powerful. Ironically, a healthy Vander Esch is probably the prototype.

From what I understand, Zimmer likes more zone coverage where our All Pro CB's are more man to man.

Zimmer favors wide huge DT's that basically just get in the way so teh LB's can zero in.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Quinn ran a scheme that best fit what the personnel he had could do. Yes, he has some tendencies and wants certain personnel for that, but do you think Quinn wouldn't have gladly welcomed better DTs? Every coordinator has to overcome deficiencies, but the Joneses create deficiencies that are not necessary with their FA philosophy, unless you happen to think the combo of Hankins, Odighizuwa, Mazi, Gallimore and Golston is sufficient.
I agree , without better personel on Defense , Zimmer won't be able to improve the defense.And a big DT and LB are must haves in 2024.I expect Zimmer will improve the culture of this team the way he coaches.Old school coaching , we can only hope makes a difference.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Zimmer looks to be a downgrade over DQ. Don’t see anything exciting about the hire. We made the change because DQ left.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hammer:This will be the defense I been waiting on for decades-this season!!!!!!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Some members here will be anxious to see immediate improvement taking place with the hiring of Mike Zimmer. That's not likely to happen. There will be numerous adjustments implemented to resolve the defensive lapses in run coverage and the players who will be counted upon to improve that area of the defense. Some new and/or inexperienced players might need to be counted upon for help.

The early weeks of the season may require patience on our part but eventually, Zimmers' plans should help to facilitate positive change. His defense is somewhat more complex than what's presently in place, so the mental adjustments will be crucial to the improvement that's desired. Hopefully, the players to be involved can handle what is expected for a relatively smooth transition.

Last edited: