Mike Zimmer Still Sucks

Kalyan

Reaction score
I have heard all the exuses about him that he didn't have good players to create pressure. I have said this before, he is good with bend but don't break defense but creating pressures is not something that is in his dictionary

Why don't we see one of the LB or safetys come up and have a free shot at the QB? Like Pittsburg/SD/NE? Isn't the main advantage of 3-4? confuse which LB is going to blitz from which side? if we blitz the whole stadium knows where it is coming from and the only blitz package we have is throw the kitchen sink at the offense

Hope some guys are still not defending this guy when he has good/star players at EVERY position. He sucks!!!

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Yeah, our lack of defensive pressure was pretty astonishing. I expected an attacking, swarming defense that made life difficult for Jacksonville. I saw solid -- not much better -- play.

Not to hijack this thread, but this is one reason why I consider Bledsoe's first-half INT so devastating, given the timing. Roy had just made a potentially game-altering INT to prevent a score and ensure us a halftime lead. But Bledsoe went and gave it right back to them.

Doesn't it seem like whenever Roy makes a big play, someone else screws something up to make the play basically meaningless?

Little Jr

Reaction score
THis is BP's D not Zim. BP is the one who doesn't like to blitz becasue it gives up the big plays. BP is the HC. If he wanted more blitzing he could get it. He needs to stop being so hard headed and old school and let the D and the O loose.

dfense

Reaction score
I've been saying that all along.

The guy folds at the worst times. 3rd and 14 and Dallas doesn't send anybody but 3 guys is a joke. Leftwhich had a full 10 seconds.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Its hard to bring pressure on the QB when youre playing from behind. It is in Jacksonville's best interest to milk the clock and run it. If we bring a safety up the gut and they pitch it wide youre screwed.

The defense prevented Jacksonville from running the ball in the second half which is exactly what you want them to do.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Little Jr said:
THis is BP's D not Zim. BP is the one who doesn't like to blitz becasue it gives up the big plays. BP is the HC. If he wanted more blitzing he could get it. He needs to stop being so hard headed and old school and let the D and the O loose.

:hammer:

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
for once i wish we could create pressure like the eagles defense was able to a la 3 or so years ago

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
What's weird is when Jacksonville had the ball after we failed on the onside kick. We had more penetration through the line on that series than we did the entire game. We actaully knocked them out of field goal range and ended up getting the ball back with a chance to tie.

Same goes for the long pass play to Glenn and the TD to Owens. Why wait 57 minutes and down by 2 touchdowns before we take a shot down the field? At some point Bill is going to have to take some chances and gamble a bit more.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Gary Gibbs got a pretty ho-hum bunch of guys to hold another team (on the road) to under 200 yds, got 5 sacks and forced 3 turnovers

we got Zimmer...one sack...almost no hits on the QB after the first quarter (save Ellis, and that play ended up being a pick)...one turnover...

same song different verse with this guy...Zimmer is every opposing QB's best friend, because they know they get a Sunday of hardly being touched

David

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Gary Gibbs got a pretty ho-hum bunch of guys to hold another team (on the road) to under 200 yds, got 5 sacks and forced 3 turnovers

we got Zimmer...one sack...almost no hits on the QB after the first quarter (save Ellis, and that play ended up being a pick)...one turnover...

same song different verse with this guy...Zimmer is every opposing QB's best friend, because they know they get a Sunday of hardly being touched

David

Zimmer has ALWAYS been this way. Every year he has been the DC it has been the same thing. I keep HEARING about how he wants to blitz and attack all the time but have yet to see it actually happen in a game. When he does call a blitz they are so poorly designed that the offense easily picks it up.

Opposing QBs have all day to sit back there and wait for a receiver to come open. We play well against the run, which is what the defense is designed to do; stop the run first and don't give up big plays. But we don't put pressure on the QB and rarely make big plays of our own.

Anthony Henry should be made to catch about 1000 balls this week and every week for the rest of the season. His pathetic attempt at an INT looking like a 4-year old trying to catch a football that is 3 feet in diameter. Heck, my grandson, who is 4, knows how to catch better than that (extend your hands and grab it, don't let it get to your body). I do have to add though that the Jags DB who was more prepared for the ball let it hit off his facemask.

The worst part about that is this is a very common problem for the Cowboys and has been for many years (since Dave Campo was the DB coach). Our DBs in particular, have no clue how to catch a football and waste countless opportunities at making game changing INTs because they can't catch worth squat.

The bottom line is that Zimmer is STILL playing the same old "Bend-but-don't-break" defense that he learned under Campo and until he leaves we will NEVER see the attacking style of defense that wins championships.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

David

Like someone else said, you can blame Zimmer, but you better be prepared to blame Parcells as well. He forced this defense on Zimmer. If he really wanted an attacking defense, I'd think he'd stick his nose in and get it.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
junk said:
Like someone else said, you can blame Zimmer, but you better be prepared to blame Parcells as well. He forced this defense on Zimmer. If he really wanted an attacking defense, I'd think he'd stick his nose in and get it.

Parcells has had an attacking defense everywhere else he's been.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
junk said:

the pass rush wasnt any good before Parcells got here either....and we always ranked at the bottom of the league in turnovers

there's been one constant...you figure it out

David

Reaction score
ykc said:
He sucks!!!

don't agree. but i will admit that his defenses seem to be slow out of the gate. you watch -- a shaky start in game 1, but this defense will finish in the top ten.

i do not like the slow starts.

Kalyan

Reaction score
I was about to say that. Its not like Zimmer had an attacking/turnover creating machine/game plan and Parcells is the one make it vanilla and no pressure defense

THUMPER said:
Parcells has had an attacking defense everywhere else he's been.

Novacek84

Reaction score
junk said:
You wanna blame both? Fine go ahead. But if Zimmer can't run this defense, Parcells should have canned him. Bottom line- Zimmer is the coordinator and he never adjusts during the course of a game. DeMarcus Ware was all over the place in the 1st quarter. Instead of turning him loose the rest of the game, they went conservative. The result? Easy day for Leftwich. Zimmer now has the talent and still can't get it done. I've seen enough. Time for a new D-coordinator. Let this clown go to Nebraska or wherever he was going to go.

Reaction score
Maybe a good time to revisit the Gregg WIlliams/Mike Zimmer debate, eh?

Im glad the skins dont have our front 7...

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Cheap Shot Artist said:
Maybe a good time to revisit the Gregg WIlliams/Mike Zimmer debate, eh?

Im glad the skins dont have our front 7...

We had an opportunity to get either Gregg Williams or Wade Phillips and passed on both to hang onto Zimrod! Phillips has turned the Chargers' defense into one of the best (with less talent I might add) and Williams has improved the Commanders D a lot as well.