Minnesota has chosen Childress as new head coach

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Vikings | Childress chosen as new head coach; must now reach contract
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 16:35:10 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Minnesota Vikings have chosen Brad Childress, formerly the offensive coordinator of the Philadelphia Eagles, as their new head coach. The two sides have begun negotiations and as long as they can work out contract terms, the team is expected to name him their head coach Friday, Jan. 6, at a press conference.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Good, one more piece for Philly to replace.

Gaede

Reaction score
Also limits the competition for Payton in New Orleans

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Gaede said:
Also limits the competition for Payton in New Orleans
I'm not sure I want payton gone lets face it if he leaves then BP will once again start calling the offensive plays and I'm not sure I want that. Not that Payton had much freedom this year but come on....

Gaede

Reaction score
I'm really in between on Payton. We have no idea how good or bad he really is.

If he leaves, I'm alright with that. If he stays, that's okay too

Hiero

Reaction score
Does this mean that Minnesota is going to center their offense around dump off passes?

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I'm not sure I want payton gone lets face it if he leaves then BP will once again start calling the offensive plays and I'm not sure I want that. Not that Payton had much freedom this year but come on....
he was calling the plays he was watching payton and telling him what to do

Murph80

Reaction score
We do not want to lose Payton. He is one of the best OC's out there.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
DB.COOPER said:
he was calling the plays he was watching payton and telling him what to do
Really.... BP has said all year that he's let Payton call the plays and only from time to time had he disagreed with what Payton was wanting to do. BP even said he would tell Payton what he wanted at the start of the week and sean would put the Offensive game plan together then BP and the staff would go over it. So it sounds to me like Sean had pretty much his way in choosing which plays to put in and when to call them except for a few times when BP told him a specific play he wanted.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Hhahaha

You guys are crazy :)

But I saw alot of footage on the sideline where Bill would be yelling at Payton if the play didnt work or something went wrong.

I dont think Bill would be doing that if Bill was calling the plays...he would just yell at himself :D .

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this is a good move on Minnesota's part.

Only problem I see is I have to wonder if they interviewed any minority coaches.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Really.... BP has said all year that he's let Payton call the plays and only from time to time had he disagreed with what Payton was wanting to do. BP even said he would tell Payton what he wanted at the start of the week and sean would put the Offensive game plan together then BP and the staff would go over it. So it sounds to me like Sean had pretty much his way in choosing which plays to put in and when to call them except for a few times when BP told him a specific play he wanted.
i agree but when someone watching over ur shoulder it is hard to call plays freely

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:
I think this is a good move on Minnesota's part.

Only problem I see is I have to wonder if they interviewed any minority coaches.
They interviewed their DC - Ted Cottrell.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
I wonder if this spells the end for Culpepper there. Childress' offense doesn't seem to fit his skill set other than his mobility.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Bad hire - Isn't he old?

A dagger to Eagles D continuity - great for us!

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I think Bill is teaching Payton how to manage a game. Some of you may disagree and believe that Bill runs a conservative, stagnant offense - I prefer controlled - and I think if he can teach Payton that balance which he seems to lack sometimes, I think he could become a great one.