Misleading stats about Marion Barber short yardage production last year?!

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Not sure Jim. I'm assuming from the discrepency that a STUFF is a run for a loss. Maybe Barber got stopped for no gain or half a yard gain often, but not zero or a loss. Hence no first down and no stuff. Grasping a bit there.

Lets wait on the expert AdamJT13 to clarify, hehe.

Larry

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
LarryCanadian;1659562 said:
Not sure Jim. I'm assuming from the discrepency that a STUFF is a run for a loss. Maybe Barber got stopped for no gain or half a yard gain often, but not zero or a loss. Hence no first down and no stuff. Grasping a bit there.

Lets wait on the expert AdamJT13 to clarify, hehe.

Larry
A stuff is "any tackle of a ball carrier behind the line of scrimmage during a rushing attempt."

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nfl/league/new_glossary.asp

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
theogt

Good point on skew to short yardage carries for Barber. I thought about that a bit too, BUT.......

Barber also got a bunch of carries on 3rd and long where people claim he also gets the boost to his yards per carry stats. In fact Barber made some nice unexpected first downs on 3rd and long carries last year if I remember correctly again.

It's one of those weird discrepancies again. If Barber had a decent Yards per Carry and he kept getting stopped in short yardage, he must have been making good yards and probably first downs on other carries.

145 runs is a pretty good sample size.

I love stats, but boy they can be manipulated to suit any viewpoint unless scrutinized well and put in context of many other stats and pieces of info.

Interesting stuff though.

Larry