Missouri governor shortens DWI sentence of Britt Reid | AP News

tomokawan

Reaction score
We do have a justice system. That system works within the system of laws set forth and written.

Actually, I'll disagree with your comment about the punishment not fitting the crime.

Reality is a lot of people don't have money, they are given a public defender, and the defendant is spit out via punishment via the "wheels of Justice".

EVERYONE knows about Reids DUI issue. Why? Because he makes news, and news sells.

Exactly how many people have been hit by a drunk driver and no ONE knows about it bceause either the palintiff or defendant wasn't "newsworth" other than you local BFE newspaper on online version of that newspaper?

Our justice system isn't perfect by far, but overall in the world, it's acatually not bad exactly due to our rights.
I will tell you. Some PD's are bull dogs for thier clients better than the paid ones. I delt with alot of attorneys who have no clue about court rules, statute, and program guidelines. So glade I don't have to deal with them any more. Some think they are so smart and are clueless as hell.

Flamma

Reaction score
we do not have a justice system; simple as that
we have a system of laws

the punishment should fit the crime and most of the time that does not happen
here we have someone that willingly drank and drove and sentenced a young girl for life; he should be sentenced to life himself
THAT is justice
A repeat offender on top of that. There needs to be a real deterrent for first offenders. Without that we're just going to keep getting repeat offenders. Then this happens.

DZSierra

Reaction score
This isn't 1980, 90 anymore. If you did the crime you did to time back then. Now if you do the crime depending on your looks, or who you vote for, or donate to, seems to play a bigger factor in your punishment.
Got out of the military in the 80's and got my 4 year degree in the same decade. I minored in Administrative Justice.

Newflash, the 80's and 90's per "justice" was just as screwed up then as it is right now.

Here is another newsflash... our justice system has always been screwed up since the inception of our country.

If anything, per crime with todays tecnhology, the state can't hang you out to dry so fast if they want to, so in that aspect, it's actually gotten better.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Got out of the military in the 80's and got my 4 year degree in the same decade. I minored in Administrative Justice.

Newflash, the 80's and 90's per "justice" was just as screwed up then as it is right now.

Here is another newsflash... our justice system has always been screwed up since the inception of our country.

If anything, per crime with todays tecnhology, the state can't hang you out to dry so fast if they want to, so in that aspect, it's actually gotten better.
Newsflash crimes were prosecuted at much higher rates back in the 80s, or 90s so obviously there would be, you would think, a higher rate of crime. Nowadays crimes like larceny, or petty larceny is a slap on the wrist. Of course if you are sidewalk praying you might get locked up now pending on the church you're in. So no, it wasn't worse before. It's worse now as we continue to decline in civility, and fail at protecting citizens in this country. I didn't need my doors locked in the 80s. I could be out all night walking around, or riding a bicycle without worry. Go ahead let your kids do that now, and see what happens. This is a much dangerous country, and I shouldn't need to give you a newsflash to figure that out. From going to school, to a mall, to church, into any large gathering we didn't have to worry about getting shot or blown up back then. It's not like that now because now we are more concerned with defunding the police, and letting criminals out of jail instead of putting them in and keeping them there. I don't remember seeing 100, 150 people raiding department stores, people openly stealing from convenience stores and just walking out. I've never seen blocks of businesses being burned down back then. Have never seen police stations being taken over, complete blocks being taken over by militias and gangs like we saw a few years ago in Seattle. Yeah, I don't care where you went to school or served. Our system of justice is just getting worse and is being overrun by Marxist. To say it's going in the right direction? That's a joke

DZSierra

Reaction score
Newsflash crimes were prosecuted at much higher rates back in the 80s, or 90s so obviously there would be, you would think, a higher rate of crime. Nowadays crimes like larceny, or petty larceny is a slap on the wrist. Of course if you are sidewalk praying you might get locked up now pending on the church you're in. So no, it wasn't worse before. It's worse now as we continue to decline in civility, and fail at protecting citizens in this country. I didn't need my doors locked in the 80s. I could be out all night walking around, or riding a bicycle without worry. Go ahead let your kids do that now, and see what happens. This is a much dangerous country, and I shouldn't need to give you a newsflash to figure that out. From going to school, to a mall, to church, into any large gathering we didn't have to worry about getting shot or blown up back then. It's not like that now because now we are more concerned with defunding the police, and letting criminals out of jail instead of putting them in and keeping them there. I don't remember seeing 100, 150 people raiding department stores, people openly stealing from convenience stores and just walking out. I've never seen blocks of businesses being burned down back then. Have never seen police stations being taken over, complete blocks being taken over by militias and gangs like we saw a few years ago in Seattle. Yeah, I don't care where you went to school or served. Our system of justice is just getting worse and is being overrun by Marxist. To say it's going in the right direction? That's a joke
I never said it was worse than before, I said is was just as scewed up.

I'm not one who believes the "old days" were always better. Apparently you forget all the bad in the past and only see it in the future.

What decade would you like to look at per riots in the United States?

Apparently you also forget when the justice system was used agasint unions in the late 1800 and early 1900's where innocent workers were killed because they held strikes. The reality is, if you actually look throughout our countries history, the justice system has been pretty screwed up. Lets not even discuss the 1800's as a whole LOL

For myself, last 20 years don't even lock the car doors at my house. Heck, couple of times forgot I left the keys in them. Nothing has really changed on crime rate vs population density over the years.

The reality is people like Reid have been getting off the hook over the last 200 years depending on their social position in society. That said, Reid did serve time, and he was only sentenced for 3 years, and only served a little more than a 1/3rd of that, so technically he didn't get off.

1942willys

Reaction score
We do have a justice system. That system works within the system of laws set forth and written.

Actually, I'll disagree with your comment about the punishment not fitting the crime.

Reality is a lot of people don't have money, they are given a public defender, and the defendant is spit out via punishment via the "wheels of Justice".

EVERYONE knows about Reids DUI issue. Why? Because he makes news, and news sells.

Exactly how many people have been hit by a drunk driver and no ONE knows about it bceause either the palintiff or defendant wasn't "newsworth" other than you local BFE newspaper on online version of that newspaper?

Our justice system isn't perfect by far, but overall in the world, it's acatually not bad exactly due to our rights.
You clearly do not do much looking beyond the MSM do you?
But then so many just lap it up
Apparently justice is not that important to you; just as long as the system is around its just fine.
I actually lived in other countries and to be blunt I think others do it better. As regards actually PUNISHING the guilty.
Not making excuses for them

1942willys

Reaction score

I'm not one who believes the "old days" were always better. Apparently you forget all the bad in the past and only see it in the future.

Apparently you also forget when the justice system was used agasint unions in the late 1800 and early 1900's where innocent workers were killed because they held strikes. The reality is, if you actually look throughout our countries history, the justice system has been pretty screwed up. Lets not even discuss the 1800's as a whole LOL

For myself, last 20 years don't even lock the car doors at my house. Heck, couple of times forgot I left the keys in them. Nothing has really changed on crime rate vs population density over the years.

The reality is people like Reid have been getting off the hook over the last 200 years depending on their social position in society. That said, Reid did serve time, and he was only sentenced for 3 years, and only served a little more than a 1/3rd of that, so technically he didn't get off.
just a couple of years while the girl serves a life sentence
yeah no surprise you think that is fine

1942willys

Reaction score
Where did I say it was fine? I only stated the facts and YOU make an assumption...
your entire tone is about since he was given 3 years that that is fine with you
try and deflect all you want
How long should he have gotten?

DZSierra

Reaction score
You clearly do not do much looking beyond the MSM do you?
But then so many just lap it up
Apparently justice is not that important to you; just as long as the system is around its just fine.
I actually lived in other countries and to be blunt I think others do it better. As regards actually PUNISHING the guilty.
Not making excuses for them
I have to laugh, no clue was MSM is.

I missed it, could you explain to me exactly who was held accountable for Emmit Till's death and the countless others exactly like him?

We look at the justice system of today and condem it, yet forget all about it's very ugly past.

I've lived in other countries myself. Perhaps I'm odd, but I do think the United States is one of the better places to live for indivual freedoms.

DZSierra

Reaction score
your entire tone is about since he was given 3 years that that is fine with you
try and deflect all you want
How long should he have gotten?
My entire tone was the the judge is only allowed to follow the legal guidelines set forth per the written law of the state. The judge went on the lower end instead of the higher end, which I believe was 7 years.

Do I think the governor should of commuted his sentence? No. That said, I'm not the governor of that state.

Why he (the governor) would even consider such a clemency using his state power is beyond my line of thinking.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score

I am referring to my lifetime not the history of the world, or this country. Remember, the ideas of the New World later to become America came from the ideas from the whole world.

The justice system wasn't perfect as I think you're trying to relay, but in the 80s it wasn't perfect because if you were rich, or had celebrity status you got lesser sentences because you could afford better lawyers, or jurors sympathetic because of your socio-economic statute not that it's right. There wasn't big recidivism rates with those people. Now? There's people on the streets with a crime sheet 4 foot-long that are in and out of the jail as much as some people eat breakfast. To frequently murderers are getting light jail sentences, and released from jail. In the 80s our tax dollars went more for protecting its citizens. It doesn't seem like our tax dollars are protecting our citizens at all anymore in fact quite the opposite. Now a criminal that goes to jail will garner more sympathy than his, or her dead victim. I feel sorry kids won't be able to grow up when I did when kids could be kids, and didn't have to worry about getting shot from disinformation they'd hear from the media. That's something else that's deteriorated, or a repeated felon stalking the streets at night at the rates we have today where if you are a woman you'll get your skull bashed in, or raped, and dragged in the bushes just jogging on college campuses. Reid should have gotten what I would have gotten for the same crime.

DZSierra

Reaction score
I am referring to my lifetime not the history of the world, or this country. Remember, the ideas of the New World later to become America came from the ideas from the whole world.

The justice system wasn't perfect as I think you're trying to relay, but in the 80s it wasn't perfect because if you were rich, or had celebrity status you got lesser sentences because you could afford better lawyers, or jurors sympathetic because of your socio-economic statute not that it's right. There wasn't big recidivism rates with those people. Now? There's people on the streets with a crime sheet 4 foot-long that are in and out of the jail as much as some people eat breakfast. To frequently murderers are getting light jail sentences, and released from jail. In the 80s our tax dollars went more for protecting its citizens. It doesn't seem like our tax dollars are protecting our citizens at all anymore in fact quite the opposite. Now a criminal that goes to jail will garner more sympathy than his, or her dead victim. I feel sorry kids won't be able to grow up when I did when kids could be kids, and didn't have to worry about getting shot from disinformation they'd hear from the media. That's something else that's deteriorated, or a repeated felon stalking the streets at night at the rates we have today where if you are a woman you'll get your skull bashed in, or raped, and dragged in the bushes just jogging on college campuses. Reid should have gotten what I would have gotten for the same crime.
I apologize, but your subject study per statisical data over the decades has me confused between white collar crime and other crimes.

Let me ask you this...

Today, in the year 2024, do you think its possible for over 12 months to live in US State "A", have a drivers license from US state "B", and have a US license plate on your vehicle from US state "C"?

I honestly don't know the answer the the above question, but I did it and lived it in 2001.

Let me ask you this...

In 2001, do you think if a church member of yours told you they just "moved" into town close by you, you could see EXACLTY what they paid for their home, when it was built and what the tax value was?

I honestly don't know the answer to the above question, but I found all that information in 2024.

The rule of statiscics hit me ironically enough studying Economics and Administrative of Justice in the late 80's.

The question becomes who is presenting the statistics and exacly WHY they are presenting the stats.

The bigger issue is techology and where it is leading us, for better or worse.

Just as I mentioned a person I knew who had money and actually won 250k from the state of NC on his murder trial (he was found not guilty due to the state fabricating evidence to fit their own story of how the "killing" went down) only because he had money and could afford the best defense in the US judicial system could provide, look up the name Yvonne "Missy" Woods (most recent examply of technology having an effect on the judicial system).

What we all tend to forget is that people are people... You have good people who hold to their morals and conivtions in ANY job including law enforcement, and you have bad people who "stray" over time and lose sight of why they got into the job to begin with.

FYI, not certain if it was you or someone else, but the reality is "news" has always sold and made money, and sometimes certain elements are left out of the story to fit the authors's intent selling the news.

Per the topic at hand of Reid driving drunk and ruining a young girls life, exactly how do you think this would have played out in the 1950's? The reality is laws weren't written in the books for "applications" of drunk driving back then per consequences on ones actions because it wasn't a "big deal".

I'm not defending Reid by any means. Personally he should have been locked up way past the minumim sentence handed by the judge for 3 years (later commuted by the governor), but the the reality is I got out out of the "legal system" in the late 80's because I wasn't going down a good path I could enjoy loving what I do making money.

When I was younger in my 20's and 30's, I always thought that men were made of their own decisions, and if they screwed up, it was their own fault. After working with the department of social services as a licnesed foster parent (with the possibilty to adopt) over the years in my 40's, I found out that some kids are really screwed up from day one.

That said, have 5 biological children of your own, raised in the same house with the same moral convictions and rules, and out of those 5 kids, any number could turn out having you scratch your head on how they turned out so bad. Britt Reid by all accounts was raised in the same house by his father and mother, who had 5 children. Another kid died due to drugs. Go figure?

There is an old saying... "Don't judge others" or perhaps better said "Walk a Mile in His Moccasins". Holds true for the 1800's as well as the 2000's IMO.

Way off topic, apologies.

What I do know is when we are all 6' under, we'll have everything figured out....

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
I apologize, but your subject study per statisical data over the decades has me confused between white collar crime and other crimes.

Let me ask you this...

Today, in the year 2024, do you think its possible for over 12 months to live in US State "A", have a drivers license from US state "B", and have a US license plate on your vehicle from US state "C"?

I honestly don't know the answer the the above question, but I did it and lived it in 2001.

Let me ask you this...

In 2001, do you think if a church member of yours told you they just "moved" into town close by you, you could see EXACLTY what they paid for their home, when it was built and what the tax value was?

I honestly don't know the answer to the above question, but I found all that information in 2024.

The rule of statiscics hit me ironically enough studying Economics and Administrative of Justice in the late 80's.

The question becomes who is presenting the statistics and exacly WHY they are presenting the stats.

Just as I mentioned a person I knew who had money and actually won 250k from the state of NC on his murder trial (he was found not guilty due to the state fabricating evidence to fit their own story of how the "killing" went down) only because he had money and could afford the best defense in the US judicial system could provide, look up the name Yvonne "Missy" Woods (most recent examply of technology having an effect on the judicial system).

What we all tend to forget is that people are people... You have good people who hold to their morals and conivtions in ANY job including law enforcement, and you have bad people who "stray" over time and lose sight of why they got into the job to begin with.

FYI, not certain if it was you or someone else, but the reality is "news" has always sold and made money, and sometimes certain elements are left out of the story to fit the authors's intent selling the news.

Per the topic at hand of Reid driving drunk and ruining a young girls life, exactly how do you think this would have played out in the 1950's? The reality is laws weren't written in the books for "applications" of drunk driving back then per consequences on ones actions because it wasn't a "big deal".

I'm not defending Reid by any means. Personally he should have been locked up way past the minumim sentence handed by the judge for 3 years (later commuted by the governor), but the the reality is I got out out of the "legal system" in the late 80's because I wasn't going down a good path I could enjoy loving what I do making money.

When I was younger in my 20's and 30's, I always thought that men were made of their own decisions, and if they screwed up, it was their own fault. After working with the department of social services as a licnesed foster parent (with the possibilty to adopt) over the years in my 40's, I found out that some kids are really screwed up from day one.

That said, have 5 biological children of your own, raised in the same house with the same moral convictions and rules, and out of those 5 kids, any number could turn out having you scratch your head on how they turned out so bad. Britt Reid by all accounts was raised in the same house by his father and mother, who had 5 children. Another kid died due to drugs. Go figure?

There is an old saying... "Don't judge others" or perhaps better said "Walk a Mile in His Moccasins". Holds true for the 1800's as well as the 2000's IMO.

What I do know is when we are all 6' under, we'll have everything figured out....
I'll revisit this in a few days. I've read everything you typed, but to be quite honest I just finished my taxes, and the thought I have to pay 18,000 in taxes is pretty much all I can think about. It's all a result of one stock that I've owned since 1994. I reinvested dividends all these years, paid taxes on every dividend every 3 months throughout those years, never added any. Went through 3 splits 2 of which were 2-1. All I'm thinking is how could that happen. When the pandemic hit the stock took a hit, and was bought out for a profit. Now when the pandemic hit I started buying energy stocks with good dividends. They quickly recovered, and I made good money with short-term trades, but a majority of money is from that one stock. I am just disgusted. Of course that wouldn't mean anything if I was Andy Reid. To answer one question he gave his life to football, and even though he took those young kids to his practices, and games they were on their own with just their mother. The kid that died was a weight trainer for the Philadelphia Eagles, and turns out he was selling steroids. He was fired, might have avoided punishment, but not long after died. He was close to his brother that we are now talking about. I don't know how he raised his kids, but something obviously happened and the others in the household I would hope are being raised differently. From what I've seen the Reid family were nice people. His wife was incredibly friendly, and nice, and so is Andy. Why that didn't transfer to the older kids, the 2 boys I don't know. I know his wife had a busy life of her own.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well when you lose someone to a drunk driver, this stuff pisses you off. Drunk Drivers should be thrown under jail. No excuse!!! The judges that are lenient never lost a loved one and probably drink and drive themseves.

Not to mention that Uber, public transit, and other forms of transit besides driving are readily available nowadays. Makes driving drunk highly inexcusable now.

DZSierra

Reaction score
I'll revisit this in a few days. I've read everything you typed, but to be quite honest I just finished my taxes, and the thought I have to pay 18,000 in taxes is pretty much all I can think about. It's all a result of one stock that I've owned since 1994. I reinvested dividends all these years, paid taxes on every dividend every 3 months throughout those years, never added any. Went through 3 splits 2 of which were 2-1. All I'm thinking is how could that happen. When the pandemic hit the stock took a hit, and was bought out for a profit. Now when the pandemic hit I started buying energy stocks with good dividends. They quickly recovered, and I made good money with short-term trades, but a majority of money is from that one stock. I am just disgusted. Of course that wouldn't mean anything if I was Andy Reid. To answer one question he gave his life to football, and even though he took those young kids to his practices, and games they were on their own with just their mother. The kid that died was a weight trainer for the Philadelphia Eagles, and turns out he was selling steroids. He was fired, might have avoided punishment, but not long after died. He was close to his brother that we are now talking about. I don't know how he raised his kids, but something obviously happened and the others in the household I would hope are being raised differently. From what I've seen the Reid family were nice people. His wife was incredibly friendly, and nice, and so is Andy. Why that didn't transfer to the older kids, the 2 boys I don't know. I know his wife had a busy life of her own.
Although you may not see it, feel blessed your paying taxes that one investment.

We're in the same boat this year on taxes but for different reasons, and wife had them done a month ago.

We probably agree more with each other than disagree if we could actually talk with each other. Written word can easily be miscontrued for various reasons. I met a guy online about 900 miles from my home when I had to fly up to my inlaws to bring their one car along with their dogs when they came to live with us looking for a home (they were both retiring). This one guy I knew online and I had butted heads over a certain topic, but we were always civil towards each other (for the most part LOL). Met the guy for lunch driving the dogs back home, after a couple of hours actually talking to one another, we actually became great friends.

Although you and I can write a lot to try to convey our intent, we don't belittle each other or hurl insults at each other.

In some aspects, Andy Reids and my own life is similar when it comes to children, and it helps me put a different perspective on his life vs than just passing judgement per his two children (out of 5 he has). You can take even two kids, put them in the same house with the same moral convictions, same financial situation, same faith and hard work attitude of the family they're in, and even two kids can turn out completely different when they come into adulthood, and sometimes as a parent, you can only scratch your head on how they turned out as adults. Gave me a different perspective as a parent having to pray for my kids like my own mom did with me.

End of the day, it makes no sense to me why the govonor pardoned Reids sentence with a 3 year sentence and he (Reid) most likely get out early for good behavior. End of the day, pretty good chance is father is going to have to support him now as B Reids wife is going to clean him out in their divorce. That said, with her social website before all this happened, she seemed like a gold digger to begin with.

Last edited:

DZSierra

Reaction score
Well when you lose someone to a drunk driver, this stuff pisses you off. Drunk Drivers should be thrown under jail. No excuse!!! The judges that are lenient never lost a loved one and probably drink and drive themseves.
This is where "the good old days weren't always" and "tomorrow aint as bad as it seems" comes into play.

People talk about the justice system going downhill, but you also have to understand that in 1985, it was still legal to drink and drive in 24 states.

Yes, divorce rates have sky rocketed over the last 40 years, but there were less social factors involved prior to the 1960's which gave men all the power in a marriage. The good old days where you could drink and drive or even drink and beat your wife are pretty much over now.

End of the day, what's most important is the little girl who had her life affected in this accident. Sad to say, there are many like here in the same situation who don't make the news because it's not deemed newsorthy enough.

Last edited:

Blue&Silver

Reaction score

Let me ask you this...

Let me ask you this...

Your first question I can't answer. For your 2nd question I was able to see statistics from home sales in each state for decades. When the house was built, how many square feet it was, how much you paid for it, and more. Recently somebody used this information that was always free to track down someone, and either kidnapped, or kill them in the state I live. So they passed a law to block access unless you paid for it, and exposed your identity. It's no longer free basically.

Personally? I don't like where technology is going. Sure there are some great things, but I also feel it's a big part in tearing this country apart as well. It was easier to go to school when I did. You didn't have kids bullying on social media. We handled it face to face, and coincidentally every time I slugged it out with someone we always ended up getting along afterward. I was always better with my hands than my words being raised by a Marine who always told me don't take garbage from anyone. Always get the first punch in and so on. He also said don't be a bully, respect your elders, and respect the police. I think everyone joins law enforcement for the right reasons, but some are corrupted over time dealing with some of the worst people in society. Just like politicians.

You think much deeper than I do. With statistics I'll get them, repeat them, and move on. Whether it comes from the Justice Department, FBI, or Bureau of Labor Statistics. I know things have changed a lot on how statistics are reported, and taken state-by-state in the last few years. Extensive changes that I don't like, and they tend to shield crime state-by-state with some states choosing not to report them to the FBI. A lot of statistical data you can't get up to date anymore. Sometimes I've had to go as far back as 2010.

I don't know when the laws for drunk driving came about. I know I was injured pretty badly in the 80s after being hit by a drunk driver. You only get so many chances to get it right before time runs out. You can only borrow from the past and hope to get things right so many times. I know the older you get, usually, the smarter you get or should I say wiser. With a developed brain you inherit consequence, common sense, and patience. Things you don't have as a teenager. I would be more lenient with a teenager, and their stupid decision that I would a 30, 40, or 50-year-old committing the same illegal offenses.

DZSierra

Reaction score
You think much deeper than I do. With statistics I'll get them, repeat them, and move on. Whether it comes from the Justice Department, FBI, or Bureau of Labor Statistics.
I only try to put deep thought into what I write sometimes because I know I could be wrong and not know it, and the written word can easily be misconstrued.

When it comes to stats and LEO agencies, you always need to be aware of what is trying to be accomplished by the agency and exactly how they are recording it. This issue has always been around, and most likely will never change (and yourself even alluded to it as to exactly what is being reported).

The reality is some laws are in place only to protect people from either themselves or other stupid people out there.

Way I see it, people will always be people. You have good people, bad people, smart people, dumb people and everything in between. EVERY profession has good and bad people working within it and we have deal with the some people when driving.

And yes, I agree with you about technology.

My father spent 24 years in the service, I only did one stint myself, and my son is now in tech school in San Antonio, so believe me, I would completely agree with your father. Only thing is the only time my dad told me to get the first punch in was when it was 2 or more agasint only yourself LOL I'm getting too old now and I need a shoulder replacement. There is something to be said that an armed society is a polite society.