Misunderstanding about players big paydays

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So its not overpaying that not good it's just don't overpay for the position every team is going to overpay?
Key to success in Cap era especially since this new Rookie contract limits as Bobs thread references is a continued consistent draft bringing in fresh talent in Rookie contracts.

Basically with the exception for a handful of key positions or generational talents and QB the NFL churns rosters almost as much as the NCAA where 4 years of playing eligibility is allowed.

And that’s pretty much what’s needed now in NFL. Must continue churning rosters with draft picks and walk-on FA. NFL scouts must be strongest segment of front office much like recruiting in NCAA. Any misses in draft stunts success.

Hadenough

Reaction score
So its not overpaying that not good it's just don't overpay for the position every team is going to overpay?
You over pay when you have something no one else has. The rest of the crowd unfortunately you offer them a contract and if they don't take it you move on. The Commanders let Cousins walk and he's been nothing special for the Vikings. He is as good as Dak if not a better pure passer. If a team just wants to be competitive and wins some games and sell tickets and make some money you sign Dak.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Key to success in Cap era especially since this new Rookie contract limits Bobs thread references is a continued consistent draft bringing in fresh talent in Rookie contracts.

Basically with the exception for a handful of key positions or generational talents and QB the NFL churns rosters almost as much as the NCAA where 4 years of playing eligibility is allowed.

And that’s pretty much what’s needed now in NFL. Must continue churning rosters with draft picks and walk-on FA. NFL scouts must be strongest segment of front office much like recruiting in NCAA. Any misses in draft stunts success.
That’s a pretty good comparison Greggo. The typical NFL roster the last decade has been more like a college football roster with all the turnover. In the 60s-80s, it was not uncommon to see a lot of the same players for many years.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Good post Bob! I don't feel a guy like Zeke is over paid considering how many times he touches the ball or picks up a blitz or supports the QB in the passing game. He does more for this team than a 20 mil dollar a year Amari. You see you can over pay for Jaylon Smith and it's not gonna kill you it's guys like Dak who absolutely burn me up that he thinks he is worth what Jerry game him. Those type of contracts are the ones that kill a team.

I'm pretty sure Dak doesn't think he is worth that. I bet Dak hated being in negotiations over a contract. I think he just wanted to play Football and if he had a choice he would play for much less. But it is a business and the owners are billionaires because of the players. Dak hires an agent to get him the best deal so he doesn't have to worry about all the crap. His agent got him the 40 million. It's just business in a billion dollar industry.

Yeah, you can take less and build a better team but you will not have any say in how that money is spent, it may just go back into the owners pocket. It's not personal, it's just business.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
You over pay when you have something no one else has. The rest of the crowd unfortunately you offer them a contract and if they don't take it you move on. The Commanders let Cousins walk and he's been nothing special for the Vikings. He is as good as Dak if not a better pure passer. If a team just wants to be competitive and wins some games and sell tickets and make some money you sign Dak.

How many current QB's have won a SB? then you have to ask yourself how many qaulity starting QB's are there in the NFL? You say just let them walk as if that worked out well for the WFT. Now I'm not saying that our team has a GM that is worried but every other teams GM iseither in the list you just listed or they are trying to get one of those QB's on the list...its supply and demand at its purest. QB's that can win in this league will be overpayed as they are the most coveted players and the cure or cause to all (not ours of course) GM's losing their or keeping thier jobs.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yep

And it’s really just a small segment who earn the bigger contracts.

Right. That's how you know that when people extrapolate these few to "all players" or "players" in general, they're doing more than watching over the salary cap (the convenient cover).

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s a pretty good comparison Greggo. The typical NFL roster the last decade has been more like a college football roster with all the turnover. In the 60s-80s, it was not uncommon to see a lot of the same players for many years.
Right

In previous era if you had 2 or 3 good drafts you could be set for a decade.

Drafting consistent every year has never been more important. It’s the only way to obtain and maintain affordable top talent .

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm pretty sure Dak doesn't think he is worth that. I bet Dak hated being in negotiations over a contract. I think he just wanted to play Football and if he had a choice he would play for much less. But it is a business and the owners are billionaires because of the players. Dak hires an agent to get him the best deal so he doesn't have to worry about all the crap. His agent got him the 40 million. It's just business in a billion dollar industry.

Yeah, you can take less and build a better team but you will not have any say in how that money is spent, it may just go back into the owners pocket. It's not personal, it's just business.
Well said. I think a lot of fans don’t realize that the players union looks very unfavorably on any players who take less than market value, especially on multi-year deals. If a player accepts less than market value for a multi-year deal, it puts pressure on players lower in the food chain to also do the same.

We often see fans use the term “team friendly” when expecting a top starter to take less money “for the team”. That is a very unfair, oversimplified and unrealistic expectation. Tom Brady is often thrown out as an example but he’s a complete outlier. He’s already made tons of money at market value years ago. Not to mention the money he’s made in off the field pay. At his age, his price tag is lower too because any day, Father Time will be knocking on his door.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unfortunately it’s also why there’s less depth. And key injuries are more devastating cause you can’t afford to retain veterans throughout the roster.

In prior era you had seasoned veterans often as backup or could sit developing rookies and young talent longer.

The cap and newer Rookie limits has effected the league team building and maintaining on several fronts.

Great thread Bob!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well said. I think a lot of fans don’t realize that the players union looks very unfavorably on any players who take less than market value, especially on multi-year deals. If a player accepts less than market value for a multi-year deal, it puts pressure on players lower in the food chain to also do the same.

We often see fans use the term “team friendly” when expecting a top starter to take less money “for the team”. That is a very unfair, oversimplified and unrealistic expectation. Tom Brady is often thrown out as an example but he’s a complete outlier. He’s already made tons of money at market value years ago. Not to mention the money he’s made in off the field pay. At his age, his price tag is lower too because any day, Father Time will be knocking on his door.
And really Brady is the only example or exception. Most likely he didn’t have a choice cause that’s how Bill runs his team. And ultimately why Tom walked.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
How many current QB's have won a SB? then you have to ask yourself how many qaulity starting QB's are there in the NFL? You say just let them walk as if that worked out well for the WFT. Now I'm not saying that our team has a GM that is worried but every other teams GM iseither in the list you just listed or they are trying to get one of those QB's on the list...its supply and demand at its purest. QB's that can win in this league will be overpayed as they are the most coveted players and the cure or cause to all (not ours of course) GM's losing their or keeping thier jobs.

For real. Dak was worth both what his play is as well as what our options were. For those saying let Dak walk, what the heck was the alternative in that case? Sign a vet and then hope you draft a good one again? Dak was our 3rd choice behind Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook and was probably drafted to be a decent backup for Romo. Besides the draft, you had to hope a top QB wanted to break the bank AND hope you outbid everyone else making a play. Hope is not a strategy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
For real. Dak was worth both what his play is as well as what our options were. For those saying let Dak walk, what the heck was the alternative in that case? Sign a vet and then hope you draft a good one again? Dak was our 3rd choice behind Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook and was probably drafted to be a decent backup for Romo. Besides the draft, you had to hope a top QB wanted to break the bank AND hope you outbid everyone else making a play. Hope is not a strategy.
There’s always other options. Which could include a total rebuild or retooling , etc.

We knew two years ago Prescott was going to demand top dollar. We’ve had a couple years we could have drafted or pursued other options if we truly weren’t all on in on him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We can’t look at as if Dak held us up for ransom. We had other choices. In the end we were more than happy to pay him and hope can build around him. Ultimately our front office is held accountable not the players for contracts.

If Dak turns out to not be enough or his contract doesn’t allow more supporting cast , then that’s on our front office.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
We can’t look at as if Dak held us up for ransom. We had other choices. In the end we were more than happy to pay him and hope can build around him. Ultimately our front office is held accountable not the players for contracts.

If Dak turns out to not be enough or his contract doesn’t allow more supporting cast , then that’s on our front office.

Yes the only diference is our GM doesn't lose his job because off what happens on the field.

Maxmadden

Reaction score

The players are under tremendous pressure from the Union, and they have to be united. Like you said it affects every other player in the NFL. The players owe it to the union and to each other to get the most that they can. Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson are going to get 40 million dollar contracts because Dak did. Every player benefits..

People get upset because a certain player is getting too much of the salary cap and they take it personally, but it is the billionaire owners that set that cap.

conner01

Reaction score
Yep, I hear ya. Not sure how far back agents started getting the one that is in Zeke's and Jaylon's about the following year's contract becoming fully guaranteed if on the roster in March of the previous year. Not a big fan of that particular fine print, lol.

Like I said, not sure if its on Prescotts, Lawrence or Cooper's, but if it is, I don't like it.
Zeke and jaylons guarantees were not from being on roster previous year
They kick in from keeping them on the roster this year
It’s not a big deal if you planned on the guy being on the roster anyway but it’s designed to force teams to make a decision rather than holding a player and cutting him later
Teams and players agree to these types of clauses
Almost every contract has built in outs just like Jaylon and Zeke have
A total contract is almost never paid out

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It seems pretty simple to me. Players get contracts based on what the team feels their value to the organization is. Does the FO sometimes knowingly overpay? I'm sure they do, but only because they think it's a better option than letting the player go to another team, either because they have nobody who can adequately replace that player, or because they think that player can hurt as an opponent.
Too many of our fans are overly consumed with the salary cap now. They would truly prefer a great salary cap number rather than have talent on the field. I get you have to balance the two and can’t go into “cap hell” but our fans don’t want to pay anyone anymore unless it is on a rookie deal, vet minimum deal, prove it deal, or team friendly deal. I wish the league would make salaries confidential. Fans just don’t seem to be able to cope effectively with the information.