Misunderstanding about players big paydays

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And when you get down to it...movies and TV shows are just "make-believe" -
actors and actresses pretending to be historical figures, criminals, superheroes, etc.
And I have never, ever seen, read, or heard criticism of the amount of money people in show business make, outside of some of the "celeberties" that were created by the 'reality TV' shows are all over the networks.

It's just sad what people make scads of money at because of the simple fact that what those folks do is flat out unnecessary, when you really get down to it. While people who do things you and I wouldn't do for lots of money get paid peanuts.

Back about 20 years ago my late mother in law was the Activity Director for a nursing home. She got paid about $10,000 a year for working about 20 hours a week. Or a salary of $20,000 a year if she'd wanted to be full time.

And what did she do for that $10,000? Had to try to entertain and make feel good people who could hardly tell you what month it was, let alone what day it was. People who can't hear well, see well and/or confined to a wheelchair, etc. She would bring in kids or church choirs to sing to them, or such, and half of them (I visited her sometimes) would sit there staring off into space, near oblivious to what was going on. Families would bring a resident who smokes a carton of his cigarettes and give them to my m-in-law, because otherwise the person would smoke the entire carton in a couple of days and then get withdrawal symptoms. So the person would come ask her for a cigarette. She'd give them one, and 10 minutes later they'd be back. She'd tell them, "no, you gotta wait a while". Another 10 minutes passes, they're back again, and the whole process would repeat all the time she was there, and it wasn't just one person of course. I wouldn't have done her job for $100,000 a year. She should have been paid 5 times what she got at least. That job was/is a real need, not some fantasy world.

Not fair, but of course that's life...