MLB 2020

TheCowboy

Reaction score
Very frustrating year for my Yankees. I've been supportive of Aaron Boone and Gary Sanchez while the fan base has been killing them but I can't do it anymore. There was no excuse for this horrible season. I don't understand how professional baseball players get injured so much like the Yankees players do. It's not that physical of a sport, there's no reason Judge should be on the IL for pulling his calf muscle by running. Give me a break.

Also, why does every pitcher that comes here struggle? I'm not giving up on Cole yet obviously but Paxton, Happ, Gray, Lynn, and the list goes on of all the pitchers that struggle in New York. Not a good look for Cashman.

kskboys

Reaction score
Very frustrating year for my Yankees. I've been supportive of Aaron Boone and Gary Sanchez while the fan base has been killing them but I can't do it anymore. There was no excuse for this horrible season. I don't understand how professional baseball players get injured so much like the Yankees players do. It's not that physical of a sport, there's no reason Judge should be on the IL for pulling his calf muscle by running. Give me a break.

Also, why does every pitcher that comes here struggle? I'm not giving up on Cole yet obviously but Paxton, Happ, Gray, Lynn, and the list goes on of all the pitchers that struggle in New York. Not a good look for Cashman.
I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Stros pitching coach is a genius. There is simply no other way to percieve it. He consistently takes pitchers, often other team's castoffs, and lowers their ERA significantly. Often by a full run or more. Pitchers who leave mostly see their ERA's balloon. The fall of Cole was simply easy to see coming. Why? Too many fastballs. Which means hitters can simply sit on the fastball.

Happ was a one year wonder. Paxton has always been grossly inconsistent, and looking at games missed, he's prolly injury prone.

Stanton: Has always been injury prone.

Something I'm wondering. Does this swing out of your shoes batting strategy work w/o stealing signs? I'm thinking it doesn't. And the Yanks are still employing that method, right?

TheCowboy

Reaction score
I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Stros pitching coach is a genius. There is simply no other way to percieve it. He consistently takes pitchers, often other team's castoffs, and lowers their ERA significantly. Often by a full run or more. Pitchers who leave mostly see their ERA's balloon. The fall of Cole was simply easy to see coming. Why? Too many fastballs. Which means hitters can simply sit on the fastball.

Happ was a one year wonder. Paxton has always been grossly inconsistent, and looking at games missed, he's prolly injury prone.

Stanton: Has always been injury prone.

Something I'm wondering. Does this swing out of your shoes batting strategy work w/o stealing signs? I'm thinking it doesn't. And the Yanks are still employing that method, right?

I still think Cole is an elite pitcher obviously but he needs to work on not giving up the long ball so much. They got rid of Rothschild which was an interesting move but it looks like it's coming back to bite them. The new pitching coach Blake has not looked good at all. They are obsessed with these analytics that just aren't working.

Happ was a great pickup the year they got him to be the 5th man in the rotation but there was no need to re-sign him at all. Paxton was great in Seattle but just can't find the touch in NY. At the time I loved the Stanton trade. He's one of my favorite players if/when he's healthy and they got him for next to nothing for picking up the contract but man has it looked bad since.

They're obsessed with average players like Gardner, Tyler Wade, Tauchman, etc. They should have spent money on Michael Brantley and guys that can actually hit for average.

If the Yankees aren't stealing signs then maybe they should because they're pathetic right now. A majority of their roster has an insultingly bad batting average.

kskboys

Reaction score
I still think Cole is an elite pitcher obviously but he needs to work on not giving up the long ball so much. They got rid of Rothschild which was an interesting move but it looks like it's coming back to bite them. The new pitching coach Blake has not looked good at all. They are obsessed with these analytics that just aren't working.

Happ was a great pickup the year they got him to be the 5th man in the rotation but there was no need to re-sign him at all. Paxton was great in Seattle but just can't find the touch in NY. At the time I loved the Stanton trade. He's one of my favorite players if/when he's healthy and they got him for next to nothing for picking up the contract but man has it looked bad since.

They're obsessed with average players like Gardner, Tyler Wade, Tauchman, etc. They should have spent money on Michael Brantley and guys that can actually hit for average.

If the Yankees aren't stealing signs then maybe they should because they're pathetic right now. A majority of their roster has an insultingly bad batting average.
Yankees got called down for stealing signs in the 15/16 seasons. It's prevalent all over MLB. Dodgers also.

Yup. And I just provided why Cole is giving it up. Too many fastballs. Allows hitters to wait for a fastball, not having to consider other pitches. His ERA the last year in PITT was 4.26.

Stanton has always been injury prone. He was a lifetime .260-.270 hitter until he had one great year w/ 59 homers. Yanks fell for it.

Paxton's ERA was mostly in the upper 3's w/ SEA. He was never great. Not sure what you saw that would make you think that. I'm not a SEA fan so I don't know why, but I see a guy who's highest total for IP's is 160. Looks like he was injured every year.

Agree on Brantley types. I'm an Astros fan, and was ecstatic when we signed him.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
Yankees got called down for stealing signs in the 15/16 seasons. It's prevalent all over MLB. Dodgers also.

Yup. And I just provided why Cole is giving it up. Too many fastballs. Allows hitters to wait for a fastball, not having to consider other pitches. His ERA the last year in PITT was 4.26.

Stanton has always been injury prone. He was a lifetime .260-.270 hitter until he had one great year w/ 59 homers. Yanks fell for it.

Paxton's ERA was mostly in the upper 3's w/ SEA. He was never great. Not sure what you saw that would make you think that. I'm not a SEA fan so I don't know why, but I see a guy who's highest total for IP's is 160. Looks like he was injured every year.

Agree on Brantley types. I'm an Astros fan, and was ecstatic when we signed him.

If pointing that out randomly helps you feel better about the Astros cheating scandal then by all means go ahead haha.

I still think Cole is an elite pitcher. Yes he throws many fastballs but he's always had winning seasons, a good career ERA and an insane strikeout total. He was a big reason for the Astros success the last couple of years. I think he can get back to that level but I'm not sure Blake is the right pitching coach for him.

The Yankees got Stanton for next to nothing after his MVP year in Miami. People forget he had 38 HR's and 100 RBI's his first season in NY which isn't bad but like you said his problem is staying healthy for a full season. He was brought in for home runs and RBI's not average. They still think Gary Sanchez is the answer at catcher with a .121 batting average so that shows you what they think of batting averages. Also to point out the passing on Brantley who they should have signed for his batting average. Some people think it's because these guys like Stanton and Judge train too hard in the offseason that they become too big and too injury prone. On the flip side guys like Mookie Betts can stay healthy for a full season.

James Paxton was in the AL CY Young running in 2017 and had good seasons from 2017-2019. He was Seattle's ace and I know he didn't have a great ERA but he was a good, serviceable pitcher in Seattle. I shouldn't have said great but he's a good 2nd or 3rd in the rotation.

kskboys

Reaction score
If pointing that out randomly helps you feel better about the Astros cheating scandal then by all means go ahead haha.

I still think Cole is an elite pitcher. Yes he throws many fastballs but he's always had winning seasons, a good career ERA and an insane strikeout total. He was a big reason for the Astros success the last couple of years. I think he can get back to that level but I'm not sure Blake is the right pitching coach for him.

The Yankees got Stanton for next to nothing after his MVP year in Miami. People forget he had 38 HR's and 100 RBI's his first season in NY which isn't bad but like you said his problem is staying healthy for a full season. He was brought in for home runs and RBI's not average. They still think Gary Sanchez is the answer at catcher with a .121 batting average so that shows you what they think of batting averages. Also to point out the passing on Brantley who they should have signed for his batting average. Some people think it's because these guys like Stanton and Judge train too hard in the offseason that they become too big and too injury prone. On the flip side guys like Mookie Betts can stay healthy for a full season.

James Paxton was in the AL CY Young running in 2017 and had good seasons from 2017-2019. He was Seattle's ace and I know he didn't have a great ERA but he was a good, serviceable pitcher in Seattle. I shouldn't have said great but he's a good 2nd or 3rd in the rotation.

If picking that out of a discussion post and being snarky about it makes you feel like a bigger man then seriously, go ahead!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm trying to discuss, not trying to explain away the Stros cheating. This was part of the discussion as to the strategy of hitting, and if you can't see that maybe I'm wasting my time.

In 2017 Paxton was 12-5/2.98/136 IP's. When was he in the Cy Young conversation? Did he get hurt late or something? Don't see how a starter w/ 136 IP's is a serious Cy Young contender.

Anyway, don't ask any more questions if you don't want answers.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
If picking that out of a discussion post and being snarky about it makes you feel like a bigger man then seriously, go ahead!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm trying to discuss, not trying to explain away the Stros cheating. This was part of the discussion as to the strategy of hitting, and if you can't see that maybe I'm wasting my time.

In 2017 Paxton was 12-5/2.98/136 IP's. When was he in the Cy Young conversation? Did he get hurt late or something? Don't see how a starter w/ 136 IP's is a serious Cy Young contender.

Anyway, don't ask any more questions if you don't want answers.
I thought you were referencing the report about the Yankees allegedly being involved in sign stealing in 2017 when you made your original reply to me about sign stealing. My apologies that I misunderstood. Many Yankees haters always throw that at us. That series loss in 2017 still stings me to this day. I was lucky enough to be there for game 3 of that series in New York and was fortunate they won when I went!

Paxton landed on the DL in 2017 several times. He was 12-3 with a 2.78 ERA to start the season that year and at one point was 7-0 with a 1.92 ERA over 8 starts. He was a candidate for the award that year at one point. When he's on, he's on.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Guys, Today is my birthday and I got the best gift I could have possibly imagined. In fact, today is probably one of the top days in all my years on this planet Earth. I have had great days in the past. Getting married the 1st time. Getting divorced the 1st time. Having my kids. Getting married the 2nd time, Not getting a divorce the 2nd time. Having my grand kids. Having a great job where I get to work from home. Just so many great things but today is one of the best. It started with my daughter sending me a Sonic burger and large tea by Doordash. The fact she used my Credit Card to order it was beside the point it was the thought that counted.My Grandson called me from college and he and his girlfriend sang Happy Birthday to me on my voicemail. He has done that every year since he was three. But just now, I turned on on the news and I saw the greatest news in the history of Sports. The Friggin Wilpons have sold the Mets. They have announced it subject to MLB approval which should be just a formality. Ding Dong The Wilpons are gone. As Arnold used to say, Hasta La Vista Baby or as Bruce Willis used to say, Yippiee Ki Yay, well you know the rest. Happy Birthday to Me. Happy Birthday to me. The Wilpons are historeee, Happy Birthday to me. Woo hoo. I am going to drink some more of my tea from sonic as a toast. Happy Birthday to me!!!!

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Would like to see a great game tonight. Hit by pitch or two, maybe a fight or a clear. This is game 3 tied 1-1, losing this game won't be fun, make it count.