MLB Off Season Thread

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Mets had the opportunity to sign the Rays assistant who is big on analytics and puts together a good team in Tampa with a limited budget. But the Mets decide to let an agent become the head honcho. I just dont get it. This will not end well. Maybe the mets think they can save some money with Thor and DeGrom since the New GM is their agent. Not a good start for the Mets in the offseason.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mets had the opportunity to sign the Rays assistant who is big on analytics and puts together a good team in Tampa with a limited budget. But the Mets decide to let an agent become the head honcho. I just dont get it. This will not end well. Maybe the mets think they can save some money with Thor and DeGrom since the New GM is their agent. Not a good start for the Mets in the offseason.

Hopefully, MLB steps in and stops this. He represents six Mets players as this is a conflict of interest. Aside from that, this guy is the worst possible choice as GM :(

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Curious to see if the Rockies can get Nolan Arenado signed to a long term deal or if they move him so he doesn't walking after the season with no compensation.

I hope he stays here in CO, but seems like he wants to go some where he has a chance to win.

Also hoping the Red Sox can get Eovaldi signed, the guy was incredible this postseason.

Carson

Reaction score
Curious to see if the Rockies can get Nolan Arenado signed to a long term deal or if they move him so he doesn't walking after the season with no compensation.

I hope he stays here in CO, but seems like he wants to go some where he has a chance to win.

Also hoping the Red Sox can get Eovaldi signed, the guy was incredible this postseason.

IMO Eovaldi isn’t going anywhere.

However, we know sports. Huge postseason? Pay him insane money haha

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Hopefully, MLB steps in and stops this. He represents six Mets players as this is a conflict of interest. Aside from that, this guy is the worst possible choice as GM :(

Not the first agent to be hired as a GM. Stewart in Arizona, and I believe a few NBA teams have agents as GMs. This is a trend that seems to be gaining steam in the professional sports world.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
mets new GM is considering trading Thor and DeGrom. He also is talking about bringing up Tebow to the Bigs. This really has looking forward to the 2019 Season.

article-2525602-1A2B2A3600000578-553_634x408.jpg

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Astros made of those "quiet" trades today that won't get a lot of notice but over the course of the season could play big dividends...

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/11/17/astros-acquire-aledmys-diaz-from-blue-jays/

Diaz will replace Marwin Gonzales and at a price that will be probably 20% of what some team will overpay for Gonzales this upcoming season.

And it's not like Diaz is an inferior player... Given a last 3-years comparison Diaz actually grades out a little better both offensively and defensively.

On top of that the Astros "control" Diaz for the next four seasons.

And what did Houston give up?

A Triple-A reliever who had a 4.00+ ERA last season.

Solid trade for the Astros.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
The Astros made of those "quiet" trades today that won't get a lot of notice but over the course of the season could play big dividends...

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/11/17/astros-acquire-aledmys-diaz-from-blue-jays/

Diaz will replace Marwin Gonzales and at a price that will be probably 20% of what some team will overpay for Gonzales this upcoming season.

And it's not like Diaz is an inferior player... Given a last 3-years comparison Diaz actually grades out a little better both offensively and defensively.

Our new Marwin

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The money saved going from Marwin to Diaz can go toward a catcher or DH. Good move by Luhnow.

True.

Or simply extend Verlander or Cole.

You pay Gonzales $10 mil a season that about 6% of the payroll.

Now they've got a guy who's a tick better than Marwin who'll take a little more than 1% of the payroll.

Visiting the various Astro boards there were several folks up in arms about not offering Marwin the qualifying offer of $17 mil & change.

I was thinking, "Are you people nuts? $17 mil a season for Marwin Gonzales?"

And in essence if they had paid him that amount (or even $10 mil a season) that would have meant they would have a little less flexibility in their payroll.

Likewise many Astro fans are losing their minds because 3/5 of the rotation will be different come next season.

Not me.

They'll probably move McHugh to the starting rotation, make another "Charlie Morton" type acquisition and make Josh James the 5th starter (who's a hell of a prospect).

I think the starting rotation will be fine.

Add a better catching option than what the Astros had last season (shouldn't be hard), let Tyler White be the DH (should be an improvement over Gattis) and potentially you've got a better team than the one that won 103 games this past season.

What I see as important is getting some guys into the rotation the Astros can control (either by their contract or simply because they are a young player) and then let the farm system build back up.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
True.

Or simply extend Verlander or Cole.

You pay Gonzales $10 mil a season that about 6% of the payroll.

Now they've got a guy who's a tick better than Marwin who'll take a little more than 1% of the payroll.

Visiting the various Astro boards there were several folks up in arms about not offering Marwin the qualifying offer of $17 mil & change.

I was thinking, "Are you people nuts? $17 mil a season for Marwin Gonzales?"

And in essence if they had paid him that amount (or even $10 mil a season) that would have meant they would have a little less flexibility in their payroll.

Likewise many Astro fans are losing their minds because 3/5 of the rotation will be different come next season.

Not me.

They'll probably move McHugh to the starting rotation, make another "Charlie Morton" type acquisition and make Josh James the 5th starter (who's a hell of a prospect).

I think the starting rotation will be fine.

Add a better catching option than what the Astros had last season (shouldn't be hard), let Tyler White be the DH (should be an improvement over Gattis) and potentially you've got a better team than the one that won 103 games this past season.

What I see as important is getting some guys into the rotation the Astros can control (either by their contract or simply because they are a young player) and then let the farm system build back up.

Marwin will get paid based on 2017 instead 2018. He's a nice player to have, but he ain't a 10 mil a year guy, let alone 17.

Let's keep the farm stocked with talent to keep the show going.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marwin will get paid based on 2017 instead 2018. He's a nice player to have, but he ain't a 10 mil a year guy, let alone 17.

Let's keep the farm stocked with talent to keep the show going.

Exactly right.

A farm system that constantly churns out good talent will go a long way to helping the team avoid having to overpay for players.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score

Love this trade. An average AAA reliever for a good MLB player who made the all-star team his rookie season in 2016 and had 26 doubles and a career-high 18 home runs last year.

Bad news is that this means goodbye to Marwin Gonzalez.

You will be missed Marwin. :(

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Love this trade. An average AAA reliever for a good MLB player who made the all-star team his rookie season in 2016 and had 26 doubles and a career-high 18 home runs last year.

Bad news is that this means goodbye to Marwin Gonzalez.

You will be missed Marwin. :(

Yeah, I'll miss what Marwin contributed to the championship season, but for the $10 mil or so he'll get per season... I like the trade A LOT.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll miss what Marwin contributed to the championship season, but for the $10 mil or so he'll get per season... I like the trade A LOT.

Oh, I knew this was coming with Marwin. Someone is going to pay him a boatload of money. Glad the Astros made the smart choice and made the trade. I love it.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Yankees made a needed move by acquiring LH James Paxton from the Mariners. Gave up a decent prospect but the Yankees need starting pitching like now in order to compete with Boston.

I'm glad the Astros did not consummate that trade with Seattle because it would have cost them Forrest Whitely, who many consider to be the top pitching prospect in baseball... It would have been like the Expos sending Randy Johnson to the Mariners.

Whitely is going to be a very good starting pitcher in MLB who the Astros will control for several seasons.