MLB Offseason thread

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Important dates this month (all times Central)
November 6, 4pm: Free agency opens
November 9: Silver Slugger awards announced
November 13-16: GM Meetings
November 16: MVP winners announced
November 20, 7pm: 40-Man roster set (for Rule 5 draft purposes)
December 1, 7pm: Deadline to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players
December 10-14: Winter Meetings
December 14, 8am: Rule 5 Draft

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am looking forwards to the moves the Mets don't make :muttley:

The one thing the Mets have going for them is some starting pitching.

If they have some health... It's a 75 win team.

The trick will be the other parts they'll need to add to get an additional 15 wins.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
I am looking forwards to the moves the Mets don't make :muttley:

Every year the same ol thing. I remember as a kid when free agency started thinking how the Mets with all that New York money would make splash after splash. This team should be located in Tampa for all the spending they do. How they survived Madoff is beyond me.

Plan on them making their big splash by signining some no name reliever or back up catcher.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Today the Mets have announced the signing of relief pitcher Hector Rodriguez to a two-year, $4.5 million dollar contract. Last season he had 0 wins, 1 loss, pitched 31 innings with a 4.58 ERA, with 22 strikeouts and 10 walks. The Mets GM states, "Ownership opened up the checkbooks and have given us go ahead to sign a real difference maker like Rodriguez. We envision him being a big part of our pitching staff in '18."

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The one thing the Mets have going for them is some starting pitching.

If they have some health... It's a 75 win team.

The trick will be the other parts they'll need to add to get an additional 15 wins.

If Thor, Degrom, Harvey, Matz and Wheeler can get back to form and stay healthy.......easily 90 wins.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Thor, Degrom, Harvey, Matz and Wheeler can get back to form and stay healthy.......easily 90 wins.

Not all those guys are going to pan out. I'd scratch Harvey right off the list.

The offense needs a lot more help.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not all those guys are going to pan out. I'd scratch Harvey right off the list.

The offense needs a lot more help.

I would normally also but our new manager specializes in pitchers from regimen to fitness to everything. It will be a bonus if Matt can get back to his old self, I am more concerned with Syndergaard :(

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would normally also but our new manager specializes in pitchers from regimen to fitness to everything. It will be a bonus if Matt can get back to his old self, I am more concerned with Syndergaard :(

If the Mets had 3 of those guys start at least 25 games and have ERA's of less than 4.00, I think they're doing well. I certainly wouldn't count on all 5 of them becoming reliable, every fifth-day starters.

Offensively they were 1st in HR's and 9th in scoring. How do you do that? Well you do it by not having a good overall team batting average and you're not taking walks.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If the Mets had 3 of those guys start at least 25 games and have ERA's of less than 4.00, I think they're doing well. I certainly wouldn't count on all 5 of them becoming reliable, every fifth-day starters.

Offensively they were 1st in HR's and 9th in scoring. How do you do that? Well you do it by not having a good overall team batting average and you're not taking walks.

No doubt the offense is beyond terrible. We need some guys who hit for average and not K as much. The Mets went to the WS and playoffs a few seasons ago with that pitching staff. They are my only hope of returning at this point.

I just hope Alderson can get a few quality bats before spring or it will be another long Summer.........

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
My two teams will have new managers after making the playoffs

The Washington Nats got Davey Martinez who I like as a change from Dusty Old School Baker
The NYYankees haven't settled on a guy yet but it will probably be a younger stat guy that can relate to the young roster...... Girardi was too robotic and it was time for a change

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
The Astros need to add some depth to their bullpen, and find a true shut down closer. I would also like to keep some of our role player free agents. A huge loss is losing a top coach to the Red Sox.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My two teams will have new managers after making the playoffs

The Washington Nats got Davey Martinez who I like as a change from Dusty Old School Baker
The NYYankees haven't settled on a guy yet but it will probably be a younger stat guy that can relate to the young roster...... Girardi was too robotic and it was time for a change

I'm wondering if the Nationals have peaked and are slowly going to descend. Fortunately for them no one else in the division seems serious about putting together a winner at this point. What happens with Harper after this season will be interesting.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Today the Mets have announced the signing of relief pitcher Hector Rodriguez to a two-year, $4.5 million dollar contract. Last season he had 0 wins, 1 loss, pitched 31 innings with a 4.58 ERA, with 22 strikeouts and 10 walks. The Mets GM states, "Ownership opened up the checkbooks and have given us go ahead to sign a real difference maker like Rodriguez. We envision him being a big part of our pitching staff in '18."

you nailed it...

My sports year just sucked this year. The Mets go in the toilet with all the injuries and now the Packers show just how bad they are without Rodgers. it is a shame. And what do I have to look forward to. The Mets are already stating how budget restraints will keep them from signing anyone big and God knows Ted Thompson and MM will keep riding the wing of Aaron Rodgers and saying how wonderful Dom Capers is as a defensive coordinator. I may cancel my Directv baseball and football package after this year. I need to get some valium

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the Nationals have pemaked and are slowly going to descend. Fortunately for them no one else in the division seems serious about putting together a winner at this point. What happens with Harper after this season will be interesting.
They have one more year of Harper and Murphy....... it is do or die

I would like to see one playoff series win out of them...... I have been reduced to that little hope