MM admits they didn't commit to the run

Bates

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy has only been top 10 in rushing attempts once and it was 2000 his first year as an offensive coordinator. Kellen Moore also did it once in 2019 his first year as an offensive coordinator. It's surprising to me how that team didn't finish better than 8-8. They started 3-0, had a top 10 offense and defense, but lost a lot of close games that probably came down to coaching and defenses inability to make plays at critical moments.

Bottom line neither head coach or offensive coordinator have ever been run heavy guys, so as much as they talk about it I don't know if it's something they can actually commit to regularly.

We were like top 12 in rush attempts last year. The top rushing attempt team only rushed it like 5 more times per game. So it’s not like we have to adjust much. Hopefully our oc will commit a bit more to it.

Praxit

Reaction score
.well, you can't commit to something, If it doesn't work.
It's working now, because of offense schemes and quality of players.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Was it not true when I read that defenses were baiting Dak into changing to a pass play by stacking the box, then backing into zone after the snap?

If so, there needs to be a counter adjustment, no?
It seems a check to play action would be effective. Defensive personnel is close to the LOS and play action, if performed properly, forces a momentary pause. Theoretically it should open up intermediate crossing routes as well as open up shots downfield. Hit a defense enough times and they stop creeping towards the LOS, allowing for easier reads.

75boyz

Reaction score
It seems a check to play action would be effective. Defensive personnel is close to the LOS and play action, if performed properly, forces a momentary pause. Theoretically it should open up intermediate crossing routes as well as open up shots downfield. Hit a defense enough times and they stop creeping towards the LOS, allowing for easier reads.

Yep, textbook description to defeat said defense. Does the normal starting QB possess the ability to consistently make accurate reads and throws in order to perform this way...

It's year 7, so maybe he's just a late bloomer in that regard, lol.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Zeke is a bruiser. The more a bruiser runs, the better a bruiser becomes in that game. He started to fall off in 2020 when Pollard started getting more carries. So, here's a crazy thought...make Zeke our bell cow again. I don't remember Emmitt splitting carries with anyone.
:omg:

@CowboyRoy is going to love this idea.
:lmao:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Not sure why they always keep saying, and even fans here on the forum, that it is so simple.... just run the dammmm ball. Well you can't just run the ball if the defense decides to put 8 men in the box and stuff your run. You have to be able to throw intermediate routes consistently and deep routes as well. Get the DBs back more than 10 to 15 yards off the LOS. Then your OL and TE can deal with the front 6 or 7. Rush has done that well. Setting up a decent run game. Dak needs to do the same, and not go to his check downs and short passes almost like handoffs. He has the whole defense playing him within 10 yards of the LOS. Of course you can't run like that. Committing to the run would be dumb.
More than that if you get behind the chains with a goofy triple reverse or if you eat a holding call, run is out the window.

TB has a good defense and when we put Pollard in the game they blitzed every time right ta Pollard. IF a run play that meant a defender on him quick if a pass play that meant forcing him to stay in and block or allow a free blitzer or both.

So why didn't Dallas run more? Because of the platoon everyone loves.
Tony Pollard had 6 carries for 8 yards whichs i wild because he had 9 on 1 carry. So he had 5 other carries that totaled -1 yard.

Zeke was averaging 5 yards a pop and they should have rode him, to 20 carries.
But it was week 1 and they were committed to getting Pollard more involved in the offense.

But Tampa has been crushing offenses all season.
What they could stop many teams can't.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If you can grab a lead and not committ penalties? You can commit tot he run. If you are going to start off slow and commit penalties? You will be down early and have to pass your way back into the game. That simple.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
.well, you can't commit to something, If it doesn't work.
It's working now, because of offense schemes and quality of players.
That would indicate we NEVER committed to a run from the very get go.

The scheme never committed and the quality of players never committed. = team never committed to the run.

"until now"

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you can grab a lead and not committ penalties? You can commit tot he run. If you are going to start off slow and commit penalties? You will be down early and have to pass your way back into the game. That simple.

Like I said...must mean you aren't really committed to the run.

You think this is ONLY about penalties? "start off slow"? Like against the bucs when we were moving the ball?

If the team does not commit to the run it starts WAY back....liker someone said....personnel and scheme. If you are incessantly down early a run game is the least of your problems. It shows your commitment to be even a good disciplined team let alone an NFC East power run game.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish we had a 21st century offense that didn't need to commit to the run.
Yep...we should be attached to antigravity suits...with actually rockets for footballs. Like a REAL 21st century team !

Good call thatta boy!

nobody

Reaction score
I think it's notable that Zeke is now treating Pollard as an equal. He hasn't done that until this season. He always wanted to get his 20 carries and be the feature back, which likely affected the chemistry on the offense. This is good news for the offense.

What does this say about where Zeke now sees his career and his future with the Cowboys? My guess, and totally a guess, is that Zeke will be willing to restructure after this season for less money. At this point, he knows he won't get a new contract from another team for big money.

I think Zeke realizes by now that individual stat records are off the table for him so he is now committing to at least getting a SB ring if he can.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Zeke realizes by now that individual stat records are off the table for him so he is now committing to at least getting a SB ring if he can.
So you think before this he WASN'T "committed" to a super bowl?

You zeke haters are nuts sheesh!

nobody

Reaction score
So you think before this he WASN'T "committed" to a super bowl?

You zeke haters are nuts sheesh!

I don't hate Zeke. I do think he like a lot of ballers look for individual accomplishments over team ones first. You can be committed to both but have a focus on one more than the other.

OMG, I don't worship the ground he walks on, I must hate him! /sarcasm.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think it's notable that Zeke is now treating Pollard as an equal. He hasn't done that until this season. He always wanted to get his 20 carries and be the feature back, which likely affected the chemistry on the offense. This is good news for the offense.

What does this say about where Zeke now sees his career and his future with the Cowboys? My guess, and totally a guess, is that Zeke will be willing to restructure after this season for less money. At this point, he knows he won't get a new contract from another team for big money.

At this point I don't think cares about getting another big money contract. 90 million dollars should be just about enough money. What he cares about now is playing on a championship caliber team. We have not had one of those since he was drafted .. but we might be trending that way now. If this team gets to or close to the Super Bowl I'm sure Zeke will happily restructure to stay in town.. If Kellen Moore reverts to Mountain West in the playoffs and they go one and done my guess is he will not be able to get out of town fast enough.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't hate Zeke. I do think he like a lot of ballers look for individual accomplishments over team ones first. You can be committed to both but have a focus on one more than the other.

OMG, I don't worship the ground he walks on, I must hate him! /sarcasm.
OMG you made up something about zeke in your head. He never wanted a super bowl until now. In your head.

Hmmm well okaythen.