MM admits they didn't commit to the run

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Not sure why they always keep saying, and even fans here on the forum, that it is so simple.... just run the dammmm ball. Well you can't just run the ball if the defense decides to put 8 men in the box and stuff your run. You have to be able to throw intermediate routes consistently and deep routes as well. Get the DBs back more than 10 to 15 yards off the LOS. Then your OL and TE can deal with the front 6 or 7. Rush has done that well. Setting up a decent run game. Dak needs to do the same, and not go to his check downs and short passes almost like handoffs. He has the whole defense playing him within 10 yards of the LOS. Of course you can't run like that. Committing to the run would be dumb.

What made him so great as a rookie was his conservative play. But it’s annoying as hell now watching him cringe up like that now, several years later, and like you say - goes to his check downs and short passes like handoffs. He’s his own worst enemy. It’s why he always plays well in the 4th, he just lets it rip when he’s behind.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted. I haven't seen it. Confirms what many have known/suspected.

"“We talked about this in training camp,” coach Mike McCarthy said. “We needed to run the ball better. More importantly, we needed to get more attempts at the plate. We needed to stay committed to it. I think we’ve definitely done that the last two weeks.”

The thing I'd like to know is why were they not committed? Some say Jerry wants Dak featured because of...well...40 million reasons. But Zeke is his boy too.

"McCarthy said being balanced has been the team’s winning formula as the run game has allowed Rush to operate with clean pockets in the passing game while also chewing up the clock to keep their defense off the field and rested.

“It starts with running the football,” McCarthy said."

Duh.

"But the Cowboys like the current distribution and remain cautious about wearing Pollard down, considering he has never carried a full load at running back going back to high school."

Yep.

"The best part about it as the Elliott and Pollard each other’s biggest fans, allowing the Cowboys to use them in tandem and interchangeably at a moments noticed:

This is something I have been saying. Pollard had been coming in a predictable times. Zeke raises his hand. Or 3rd series. Even if the same defense is out there...they know pretty much where to try to defend each RB. Now...not so much.

"Elliott is good with it because believes it’s the best way for the Cowboys to win.
And that’s all he cares about.
“All I’m worried about is winning football games and going to chase that ring,” Elliott said. “Do what we’ve got to do. We stay committed to the run and we keep getting those attempts, I think we’ll be successful.”

Good team mates!

Full article: https://www.yahoo.com/news/dallas-cowboys-stick-cooper-rush-095500046.html
When Dak gets back and they continue to commit to the run, this team will be extremely hard to beat.

nobody

Reaction score
OMG you made up something about zeke in your head. He never wanted a super bowl until now. In your head.

Hmmm well okaythen.

Please quote where I stated that he never wanted a Super Bowl. You can't. Because I never stated that. Reading comprehension is your friend....well, in your case I think it's your nemesis since you seem to struggle with it. Grow up. I'm done with you. Bye now.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted. I haven't seen it. Confirms what many have known/suspected.

"“We talked about this in training camp,” coach Mike McCarthy said. “We needed to run the ball better. More importantly, we needed to get more attempts at the plate. We needed to stay committed to it. I think we’ve definitely done that the last two weeks.”

The thing I'd like to know is why were they not committed? Some say Jerry wants Dak featured because of...well...40 million reasons. But Zeke is his boy too.

"McCarthy said being balanced has been the team’s winning formula as the run game has allowed Rush to operate with clean pockets in the passing game while also chewing up the clock to keep their defense off the field and rested.

“It starts with running the football,” McCarthy said."

Duh.

"But the Cowboys like the current distribution and remain cautious about wearing Pollard down, considering he has never carried a full load at running back going back to high school."

Yep.

"The best part about it as the Elliott and Pollard each other’s biggest fans, allowing the Cowboys to use them in tandem and interchangeably at a moments noticed:

This is something I have been saying. Pollard had been coming in a predictable times. Zeke raises his hand. Or 3rd series. Even if the same defense is out there...they know pretty much where to try to defend each RB. Now...not so much.

"Elliott is good with it because believes it’s the best way for the Cowboys to win.
And that’s all he cares about.
“All I’m worried about is winning football games and going to chase that ring,” Elliott said. “Do what we’ve got to do. We stay committed to the run and we keep getting those attempts, I think we’ll be successful.”

Good team mates!

Full article: https://www.yahoo.com/news/dallas-cowboys-stick-cooper-rush-095500046.html

You asked why? I’m not going to assume Jerry more than Kellen. I just think Kellen is a pass happy OC. Did anyone notice the reaction that MM had to Kellen after the 3 and 1 call that Brown was held on in the waning moments of last weeks game. I look like he was asking Kellen “why” & “come on” when the cameras went to the sidelines right after the play. The commentators were saying that they were mad at the no call on the hold, but that’s not what I thought I seen.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please quote where I stated that he never wanted a Super Bowl. You can't. Because I never stated that. Reading comprehension is your friend....well, in your case I think it's your nemesis since you seem to struggle with it. Grow up. I'm done with you. Bye now.
Alright...didn't mean to ruffle feathers. But when you say things like this:

I think Zeke realizes by now that individual stat records are off the table for him so he is now committing to at least getting a SB ring if he can.

It sure makes it LOOK like you are saying he was NOT committed before now.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

My mama used to say if you look hard enough for something to be mad about you will always be able to find it. If people want to take that quote to mean Zeke didn't want to sin a Super Bowl before then that's on them. Every player in the NFL wants to win the Super Bowl every year.. That's a given.. If a person need a player to come out and SAY it for you then that person should really consider not watching football anymore.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Okay sure. How'd we GET there? With a mid-round rookie qb?

Come on my fine man....If you can say okay...lean on the run game a little bit....there's a LOT of advantages there.

It's a negative-EV play. Dak averages 7.6 yards per attempt for his career, Zeke averages 4.5 yards per attempt. Every time the Cowboys call a run play instead of a pass, on average they are giving up 3 yards to the defense.

It takes too much else going right to win while leaving that much yardage on the table, and so establishing the run is a strategy that doesn't handle adversity well. The Packers jumped out to an early 21-3 lead in that game, and we spent most of the game having to pass anyway. High-end passing games not only have more raw production, but tend to be more resilient as well.

nobody

Reaction score

I'm saying chasing Emmitt's record was his number one priority over the SB. Of course he wanted to get to the SB (all players do), but not at the expense of his legacy. Now I think he knows the SB is his legacy.

It's like Jerry. He says all the time that the SB is his goal, but he won't do things that make it more likely because he has priorities that trump that desire. Look at deeds and not words.

Now Zeke is acting like the SB is his number one priority. It's less about his personal stats and more about the team.

Sorry I got a little aggravated. One of my pet peeves is people saying I said something I didn't.